Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
too many trellis veggies Toplef10too many trellis veggies 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

too many trellis veggies I22gcj10too many trellis veggies 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
too many trellis veggies Toplef10too many trellis veggies 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

too many trellis veggies I22gcj10too many trellis veggies 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

too many trellis veggies

+5
Patty from Yorktown
Kabaju42
chocolatepop
timwardell
bonnie0128
9 posters

Go down

too many trellis veggies Empty too many trellis veggies

Post  bonnie0128 3/21/2010, 8:14 pm

So I spent a good deal of time today trying to decide what I'm going to grow and where - and I have a minor problem...too much of it needs a trellis!

This is what I've come up with and I'd love some feedback. Can vining tomatoes just be tied to a stake or used with a cage? That would solve one problem. I'd love to do one more spaghetti squash plant...but just don't have the room.

too many trellis veggies Garden11
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

too many trellis veggies Empty Re: too many trellis veggies

Post  timwardell 3/21/2010, 8:27 pm

bonnie0128 wrote:Can vining tomatoes just be tied to a stake or used with a cage? That would solve one problem.
Yes, you can stake your tomato plants or use a cage. In fact, I've never used my trellis for tomato plants. (Shhhh... don't tell Mel) :suspect:
I've always used cages for my tomatoes. IMHO they grow better and, as you have discovered, it's one less plant on your trellis.
Nice plan BTW. Glad to know I'm not the only one who really get's into planning.
What type of zucchini are you growing? I assume it's a vining variety.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

too many trellis veggies Empty I don't know!

Post  bonnie0128 3/21/2010, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the help, Tim! I probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble to do the picture like I did except I wanted to be able to get some feedback on my plans and couldn't think of a good way to explain my unusual layout. I had done the basic layout last year and just edited it for this year's plans. I'm still not sure about all those peppers. My peppers did very poorly last year - but they were pretty much suffocated by the spaghetti squash that I never got trellised. We really like bell peppers so I *want* them to do well and produce a lot...so I may just forge ahead and cross my fingers. I might buy new seed too - I don't remember if I got cheap pepper seeds or good pepper seeds last year! Then again, maybe they just need some different nutrients than my generic fertilizer.

As for zucchini/yellow squash variety...I don't know yet! Yikes! I'm planning to place an order with NeSeed (as they have some varieties I'm looking for for other things) - so I think I'm going to call tomorrow and ask if they have any vining varieties. If they don't - I may be putting out some feelers for a seed swap as I can't afford to order from multiple companies and pay all that shipping. My DH wasn't very happy with the money I put in to the garden start-up last year so I'm trying to do my best to not spend too much this year (even though I'd really like one or two more beds = popcorn, lettuce, celery, rhubarb). I know they don't carry the varities mentioned above - so I'm really hoping they have something!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 3/21/2010, 9:07 pm

most commericaly tomato peps don't trellis their vining tomatoes, but I couldn't imagine not, mainly because my vining tomato grew 8-10 foot tall. Of course you could have snipped the top to make the vine stop growing and concentrate on the fruit.

I did a "U" trellis, the sides stopped at the first row. You could move your grape tomato plant in the middle to the outside(switched with the bell pepper) and "U" your trellis, similar with the other box and a plum tomato on the other side.
too many trellis veggies Square10

Also, I'll follow up with time and ask if you are planting a vining type of zuke and yellow squash, because if not that may solve your problem. There is another post that ask about vining squash, there are a couple links to some vining type of squash Smile

I totally understand your pain, I'm in a similar situation.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

too many trellis veggies Empty Too much shade?

Post  bonnie0128 3/21/2010, 9:14 pm

Chocolatepop-

That's def something to consider. I wonder, tho, if it would create too much shade for the plants in the center to be surrounded on almost all sides with tall plants. Also, I have short arms and have a hard time reaching the center as it is!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/22/2010, 12:11 am

I like how you put the boxes on a diagonal, very cool. My only worry would be if you could reach in everywhere without going into your garden since both boxes have trellises on two sides.

Maybe you could go with a 3' by 4' garden or something like that to make sure you can reach everywhere.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 3/22/2010, 12:43 am

I had trellises on three sides and had no issues. I just had to reach through the folliage to reach what I wanted. Shade didn't seem like an issue, my nasturium was ENORMOUS, and the eggplant would have been fine but we has some mildew issues. I'm only 5'1" with similar arms, or as suggested break your boxes up smaller also, like a couple 2x4. My primary tomato box and trellis is 2x5.

Can you build anything else? even a small like 2x2 or 1X2? You can save some space by planting your onions around where the "extra" space is where you will have your sketti squash. if you cheat each squash to the backside to trellis up, that leaves some space at the front.

And from experience, you are going to have a green bean JUNGLE Wink and I think off one spaghetti plant I got 8 or 9 squash before powdery mildew got it.

I also love the diagnol, im gonna have to snag that idea for my other area if I'm "allowed" to build more by the hubby too many trellis veggies Icon_razz
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 3/22/2010, 7:19 am

Hi,

I like your diagonal boxes. (I have diagonal boxes.) I would plant onions closer to squashes or cucumbers, so you get some companion help with bugs.

Patty in Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 3/22/2010, 9:35 am

Bonnie -- I love your design. What program did you use to draw your gardens with?
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 3/25/2010, 2:42 pm

Kabaju42 wrote:I like how you put the boxes on a diagonal, very cool. My only worry would be if you could reach in everywhere without going into your garden since both boxes have trellises on two sides.

Maybe you could go with a 3' by 4' garden or something like that to make sure you can reach everywhere.

My boxes are already established - so changing the size is not an option! The diagonal layout worked ok last year - if I were to move them, I don't know if I'd do it again - but it is asthetically pleasing and worth the extra little bit of trouble to work around.

The trellises will be new but I don't anticipate too much trouble reaching the middle as I could reach through the netting and I can reach the middle from both front sides - though with a bit of a stretch!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 3/25/2010, 2:47 pm

chocolatepop wrote:I had trellises on three sides and had no issues. I just had to reach through the folliage to reach what I wanted. Shade didn't seem like an issue, my nasturium was ENORMOUS, and the eggplant would have been fine but we has some mildew issues. I'm only 5'1" with similar arms, or as suggested break your boxes up smaller also, like a couple 2x4. My primary tomato box and trellis is 2x5.

Can you build anything else? even a small like 2x2 or 1X2? You can save some space by planting your onions around where the "extra" space is where you will have your sketti squash. if you cheat each squash to the backside to trellis up, that leaves some space at the front.

And from experience, you are going to have a green bean JUNGLE Wink and I think off one spaghetti plant I got 8 or 9 squash before powdery mildew got it.

I also love the diagnol, im gonna have to snag that idea for my other area if I'm "allowed" to build more by the hubby too many trellis veggies Icon_razz

I had a bit of mildew issues with my spaghetti squash. I sprayed them with diluted milk and it got rid of it!

I'm intrigued by your suggestion to place the onions in the "extra" space - I hadn't considered that there would be any "extra" space! The spaghetti squash is probably too big of an issue but I might be able to share some space with the tomatoes or cucumbers!

I got about 9 spaghetti squash off my two plants last year - and have just one left - we've really used them sparingly! I hope to get more this year as it is our main form of "pasta" due to my dietary restrictions!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 3/25/2010, 2:48 pm

Patty from Yorktown wrote:Hi,

I like your diagonal boxes. (I have diagonal boxes.) I would plant onions closer to squashes or cucumbers, so you get some companion help with bugs.

Patty in Yorktown

Thanks for the tip! I don't know anything about companion planting!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 3/25/2010, 2:49 pm

belfrybat wrote:Bonnie -- I love your design. What program did you use to draw your gardens with?

Thanks! I just did it with Microsoft Publisher - probably not the most efficient program to use but it worked out alright!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  jenny-h 3/25/2010, 9:10 pm

I'm finding I'm having the same problem. I've been doing a lot of studying on companion planting as well as I have 2 areas I'm working with. I don't have the plan completed yet, but I'll let you see it once I decide where everything is going. I do have a question about corn and peas. Could I plant them in the same square foot? that way the peas grow up the vine of the corn and then the peas can grow up the corn's vine? I could trellis the peas as well, but I'm going to trellis my watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkin. Also, do I need to trellis sunflower or will it grow strong and sturdy naturally?

This is my first year of square foot gardening and I don't do anything small - hahaha. I have one garden area that is 18x3 and the other is 2x6. I've got about 20 different things that I"m planting between vegetables, herbs, and some strawberries.

Thank you for any help!

Jenny
jenny-h
jenny-h

Back to top Go down

too many trellis veggies Empty Corn with Peas

Post  miinva 5/2/2010, 12:16 am

According to my latest favorite book, Carrots Love Tomatoes, corn and peas like to be planted together. I haven't tried it, mainly because we don't grow corn, but you could give it a shot.

I highly recommend Carrots Love Tomatoes (by Louise Riotte), it's pretty comprehensive!
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JennaAnnMartin 5/2/2010, 10:17 am

As companions go, if you grow corn, grow it with squash and beans. That seems like a lot in a small area but the beans will vine up the corn stalk and the squash (vining types) will grow along the ground. Also, the prickly stems on the squash plants will help keep critters away from the corn as it ripens and shades the soil. The beans fix nitrogen into the ground to help nourish the corn and squash.
JennaAnnMartin
JennaAnnMartin

Female Posts : 18

http://jennascottage.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down