Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Miracle Gro recommendation? Toplef10Miracle Gro recommendation? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Miracle Gro recommendation? I22gcj10Miracle Gro recommendation? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Miracle Gro recommendation? Toplef10Miracle Gro recommendation? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Miracle Gro recommendation? I22gcj10Miracle Gro recommendation? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Miracle Gro recommendation?

+4
Ha-v-v
BackyardBirdGardner
sceleste54
jazzymaddy
8 posters

Go down

Miracle Gro recommendation? Empty Miracle Gro recommendation?

Post  jazzymaddy 3/20/2011, 11:03 pm

Hello. I'm reposting this from the welcome mat - not sure which place will be the best place for it.

I'm ready to fill my box, and I have a soil question. My Lowes is having a killer sale on Miracle Gro Soil for Gardens - ending tomorrow. I know I may be broaching the unpardonable sin to even consider it, but it does say that it contains important nutrients, peat moss, and manure. Is this close enough to MM to get me started for my first season? I am at a point of wanting to just get started already, and don't have a ton of time this week to track down all the stuff I'd need to create MM (and if I can save money in the meantime, that would be a happy thing).

Does anyone have any experience with this product, and would you recommend it? Or should I stick to what's recommended here and suck it up? I do want the family to have a successful first year to encourage us to keep at it.

Thanks for your help.
Tracy, newbie from SC
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Miracle Gro recommendation? Empty Re: Miracle Gro recommendation?

Post  sceleste54 3/20/2011, 11:11 pm

If it says "Potting Soil" it is dirt... just dirt with some additives. It will grow stuff, but its heavy and often full of roots and sticks. I've bought it before and I was always disappointed..
my .02
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/21/2011, 12:11 am

Funny, because I have used the stuff before and not been terribly disappointed. Other than it being overpriced dirt. When they say the good stuff lasts four months, I bank on two. And, then, its mostly peat moss imo. But, it will do the trick if you fertilize AFTER the first bit wears off.

So, in a cost analysis...which I haven't done....my bet would be that it's more expensive, especially in the long run with the cost of fertilizer. That said, I do plan to use a bag of it most years to uppot my tomatoes and things that need to sit inside for a few weeks.

It's not a bad thing, but it's not permanent, either, like MM. My motto is Do It Right The First Time. Every time I've tried to get by on the cheap, I take it in the......compost heap.

What? What did you think I was gonna say? Cool
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 3/21/2011, 6:28 am

I used a bagged soil last year in one of my 4x8 beds. I wish I could remember what the name was, I think the name is in some of my past posts ( I will have to hunt). I had basils that grew to huge bush size in that soil, my chives came back after winter as did my parsley. I will amend it this year with some compost of my own and we will see what it does this year. I dont think the fertilizer in it lasts all that long, but I didnt amend the store bought soil last year. I just let it do its thing. I want to say my soil had a gorilla on it? I just pulled the basil plants that had no life in them yesterday and the soil looks lovely and black below. I too didnt have time to wait for the stuff to make MM at that time, since then I have the supplies to work with and thats what I will use. I like mixing my own soil Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 3/21/2011, 7:55 am

I did want to share something else about my soil choices from last year. Looking back, I still could have taken my time and gathered the ingredients for MM. I made the mistake of buying every plant I liked Smile Buying lots of seed packets as well. I can see now if I had taken a bit more time I could have had all I needed for MM in the first place. That has helped me tons this year. Things outside the garden have made things a bit more stressful, so I can still have that laid back feeling of knowing in my zone 8 I can do late planting and still get a good harvest. ( I know others dont have that luxury). I am doing less stressing on getting stuff planted, Ive yet to plant in my warm environment.
My moral to the story is dont fret the small stuff. Its such an awesome learning process, I dont ever feel like Ive not accomplished something. My mistakes still produced something. Even when I had to re mix a whole 4x8 box last year with my first MM mixing. ( I can see that like it was yesterday ) That box took out the supports I had, tomatoes grew like maniacs. The SFG has made me a believer in my gardening skills and ability to be help our family eat better and I get therapy while in the garden !! Ive learned I rush myself and SFG has made it so I feel more relaxed and its rubbing off in other parts of my life. Smile It can only get better. Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/21/2011, 8:08 am

Hav-v-v, I'm zone 8 over here, too -- but I had to scrape a thick layer of frost off of the windshield this morning....my peas just sprouted over the weekend...but I'm not in any hurry, as it's still COLD in the mornings!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 3/21/2011, 8:17 am

LaFee wrote:Hav-v-v, I'm zone 8 over here, too -- but I had to scrape a thick layer of frost off of the windshield this morning....my peas just sprouted over the weekend...but I'm not in any hurry, as it's still COLD in the mornings!

Oh frost LaFee and your peas are sprouted !! Yea cheers thats so exciting! I too dont like going out in the cold..our winter was ever so mild, Im reminded over and over why we chose the south Smile We took out the air conditioner in Jan, I put it back a couple weeks into Feb!! I didnt get planted like I "wanted" but like how things are working. I am happy to say I have 3 living things from last years garden thats a lot when I expected nothing. Chives, parsley and of course the apple mint that has to move out of that box Smile I will be planting I think nearer the end of the week. And that will be a few things not a ton, Im really thinking ahead about what Im planting. And my husband has suggested I get determinate tomatoes !! Jeff is so funny, he said we had such a huge mess of the vines last year, maybe with them being trimmed and staying bushy they will be easier, Im going to try his thoughts Smile I will still want to have an indeterminate tomato, the yellow cherries are prolific and climb like crazy, their trellis is already there from last year and will work for this year again. Spring has been here a while under cover as winter Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Miracle Gro recommendation? Empty Okay then

Post  jazzymaddy 3/21/2011, 8:35 am

I think you guys have given me what I needed. I think I'll try to do it by the book this first time around, and though the cost may be a bit more, I'll be more successful in the long run, and be happier I made the "sacrifice."

Maybe I'll just parce out my box and only fill half for right now...

Thanks for your responses!
Tracy
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/21/2011, 8:44 am

D'oh -- my peas are sprouting in the mini greenhouse next to the window IN THE BASEMENT. Kinda some key information I left out, there.... Miracle Gro recommendation? 926169
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/21/2011, 12:39 pm

jazzymaddy wrote:I think you guys have given me what I needed. I think I'll try to do it by the book this first time around, and though the cost may be a bit more, I'll be more successful in the long run, and be happier I made the "sacrifice."

Maybe I'll just parce out my box and only fill half for right now...

Thanks for your responses!
Tracy

You won't be sorry. I promise.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 3/21/2011, 3:55 pm

Hey Jazzy !

I'm real close to you....I work in Rock Hill. If you need help/advice on varieties that work well here in our area then write me back or PM. Whatever gets you started in terms of soil should be fine, you can tweak and get more serious once you get hooked. I have a few threads out there if you want to follow the hoops advice you were looking for. BBG has mentioned one already which should really help.

Good luck and welcome......neighbor !
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/21/2011, 4:13 pm

LaFee wrote:D'oh -- my peas are sprouting in the mini greenhouse next to the window IN THE BASEMENT. Kinda some key information I left out, there.... Miracle Gro recommendation? 926169

affraid Miracle Gro recommendation? 889526
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 3/21/2011, 11:58 pm

My uncle uses the Miracle Gro for gardens in his flower pots (yes, I know it says it's not for container gardening... why not? Does the soil know the difference?). They always grow very, very well, and the soil stays easy to work with. I was surprised to see the ingredients list said it was basically just peat moss, compost, and fertilizer.

I guess the only real problem there for a SFG is the fact that you have no clue what the peat moss:compost ratio is You also don't know what kind of compost it is.
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down