Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Large Scale Square Foot Gardening Toplef10Large Scale Square Foot Gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Large Scale Square Foot Gardening I22gcj10Large Scale Square Foot Gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Large Scale Square Foot Gardening Toplef10Large Scale Square Foot Gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Large Scale Square Foot Gardening I22gcj10Large Scale Square Foot Gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Large Scale Square Foot Gardening

+4
FarmerValerie
LaFee
BackyardBirdGardner
pinrut
8 posters

Go down

Large Scale Square Foot Gardening Empty Large Scale Square Foot Gardening

Post  pinrut 3/20/2011, 9:03 am

Hi

I live in a meditation centre in France (Plum Village) where there is a community of about fifty people. We converted about half of our space to the square foot method giving us about 100 square metres to work with. The early signs are very good with greatly increased increased joy, ease and harvests so far and its only March!

Our hope is to move in the direction of self sufficiency and increase the size of the garden using the square foot method. Is there anyone out there who has experience using the square foot method on a large scale such as over 100 square metres. If so Id love to get in touch to discuss gardening on this scale. Please also post any experiences, suggestions, pitfalls etc of sq foot gardening of this scale.

I am in love with square foot gardening and cant believe how simple and how much fun it is!

Wishing everyone well

Stuart
pinrut

Back to top Go down

Large Scale Square Foot Gardening Empty Re: Large Scale Square Foot Gardening

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/20/2011, 9:08 am

Stuart, I wanted to say welcome aboard and what an undertaking you guys are going to attempt. I imagine it will be fantastic.

I wish I had experience, on that scale, to offer you, but I don't. I'm sure you will find someone here, though, that has what you are looking for.

We love pictures of gardens, and welcome both ideas and questions at any time...on any scale. Looking forward to watching your progress.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/20/2011, 12:48 pm

Just as an FYI for everyone reading --- 100 square metres is roughly 1000 square feet -- a BIG garden!

(Hi, Stuart, I'm in the 77 -- lucky you to be in such a gorgeous part of l'Hexagone)
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/20/2011, 1:13 pm

Thanks LaFee, I never quite understood the metric system, as most Americans typically do not.

Now that I know that, I have aprox 300 sq ft of growing space, and plan on expanding in the next year or two by adding 15 8x4 boxes, which is 480 sq ft, which will give me 780 sq ft. BUT, we can, freeze, dry, and eat, we are trying to be self sustaining and we are feeding 2 adults, a 14yo human garbage disposal (son), our 12yo daughter, and parents/in-laws (mine), and still have one grown child at home. I also want to barter what we don't need for what we do need, had someone offer to buy any strawberries we dont' need (only 5 actually made it into the house last year), I told hubby to tell them I would rather trade for some goat's milk. We also have bees, and honey is now $12 a quart, I hope to be bartering some of that stuff too.

Looks like in a few years I will have my very own community garden, teeheehee. Best wishes with yours, please keep us updated on progress and lots of pictures!!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/20/2011, 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forums Pinrut!

I know you came looking for advise, but I have to ask you how you've done it so far. Were you part of the effort to get it going? Is this a large community effort?

I'm glad it's going so well.

LaFee wrote:Just as an FYI for everyone reading --- 100 square metres is roughly 1000 square feet -- a BIG garden!

Here's some more thoughts to help imagine it. 1 meter is about 1 yard, or 3 feet. I believe in areas that use the metric system Mel teaches to have the boxes 1 meter (3 feet) wide then as long as you need. So if you can imagine boxes that are 3 feet wide and if they were put together they'd be about 300 feet long. I'm jealous just thinking about it.

Edit: fixed a typo.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/21/2011, 1:32 am

Actually, Kabaju, a metre is closer to 39 inches -- so it doesn't take very many of them before the difference starts to add up. Thus a square metre ends up being actually just a little more than 10 square feet (it's actually closer to 11, but for casual conversations, I just use 10 because I can do it in my head!)..so your example would leave you with another 100+ square feet of garden that you'd have to squish in somewhere! (Here's the technicals: 1 metre = 39.37 inches = 3.281 feet = 1.094 yards, and 1 square metre = 10.76 square feet)

Someone over here IS reading SFG, because some of the smaller kits I'm seeing are 1,2 x 1,2 metres....which is neatly 4 x 4 feet.
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 3/21/2011, 4:44 pm

Welcome!. I don't have anything that big, but will offer what experience I have... I have 3 beds that measure 4' x 24' , (3) 4' x 8' and a couple smaller 4x4 - my calculator says 432 sq ft... Not an expert, but clearly obsessed.

Here's what I have made use of that seems to work for me...

I have a 4 way on/off hose splitter that feeds all the big boxes. During the hottest times of the year, I run it for an hour or so couple times a week for the plants that have established roots. New plants still get watered with a wand.
Large Scale Square Foot Gardening Hose_b10
I cut up water hoses using the repair male/female ends and run it under mulch.
I use soaker hoses that run lengthwise at the 1', 2' and 3' lines (see below. I put a trellis every other 4' section so I can reach around them to plant & weed.
Large Scale Square Foot Gardening Dsc03510

I am putting in some new boxes using a bottom with hardware cloth. I have infestations of voles (field mice) that I have to keep out. I spent all day yesterday digging up a bed and putting it into one with a wire bottom. There were tunnels all throughout the 10" deep (potato) bed that you see at the top right.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Large Scale Square Foot Gardening Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 3/21/2011, 5:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, Pinrut.

My husband and I have enclosed a garden space of 32' x 35' which is 1152 square feet of space. (LaFee or someone else, if you would, would you do the conversions for me, please? My brain belches smokes when I even try to remember math class.)

We are also building beds along the outer perimeter of the fence to add more growing space.

Our garden consists of eight SFG boxes of various sizes with grid tops, filled with MM. We also have eight 4' x 10' raised beds with SF grid tops, filled with compost and rice hulls, and we have several permanent non-gridded beds around the inside fence perimeter for such things as asparagus, raspberries, gooseberries, blueberries, and Egyptian Walking onions.

Can I help answer any questions for you?

Large Scale Square Foot Gardening 396615

BTW, Squat, we're also in the process of pulling up our boxes and refitting the bottoms with hardware cloth. We also dug a trench all around the garden perimeter and buried 12" of hardware cloth, bending the last 4" outward in an L shape to keep them from hitting the wire then tunneling down and under it. We left 6 inches of the wire above ground next to the fence. We dropped Juicy Fruit rolls in all the holes we found after we placed the wire. This spring we dropped more Juicy Fruit and a couple of weeks later we found one dead vole - hopefully he was one we inadvertently enclosed inside the garden. We haven't seen signs of any more since. (Knock on head, I mean wood.) I'll keep you posted, though.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/21/2011, 5:31 pm

Dingdingding! Ander wins this one! That converts to 107 square metres -- so you have almost exactly the amount of space that Pinrut and his neighbors are working with.

(looks like there's a retreat at the village that started this morning, so it may be a few days before Pinrut responds)
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/21/2011, 9:54 pm

Large Scale Square Foot Gardening 654548 Pinrut

I'm sorry I can't make any contributions regarding your questions on large scale gardening, but did want to let you know we are very glad you joined us. We look forward to hearing about your progress.

Did anyone else catch that Pinrut's name backwards is Turnip?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum