Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tree Killing Instructions Please! Toplef10Tree Killing Instructions Please! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tree Killing Instructions Please! I22gcj10Tree Killing Instructions Please! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tree Killing Instructions Please! Toplef10Tree Killing Instructions Please! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tree Killing Instructions Please! I22gcj10Tree Killing Instructions Please! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tree Killing Instructions Please!

+4
sceleste54
Patty from Yorktown
Megan
Goosegirl
8 posters

Go down

Tree Killing Instructions Please! Empty Tree Killing Instructions Please!

Post  Goosegirl 2/23/2011, 8:24 pm

Here's the deal: I have a STUPID little tree that is growing in my brick flower/soon-to-be potato bed. It started growing before we moved into the house 11 years ago. I tried pulling it out when it looked like just a weed, but it apparently had a big enough root that all I did was rip my gloves and shred my hands. I have kept digging and pulling, and finally pruning, but I haven'g killed it yet. I have sprayed it with vinegar, sprayed it with Round-Up, stood up in the bed and jumped on the shovel to cut through the root, but NOTHING FAZES IT!!! The problem is that I can't dig it out without destroying the brick planter (picture to follow in a few days when I have my digital camera Very Happy). My next thought was to cut it back again, and then hammer some nails (not galvies, so they will rust) right into the center of its bratty little growth ring.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Tree Killing Instructions Please! Empty Re: Tree Killing Instructions Please!

Post  Megan 2/23/2011, 8:26 pm

The one teeny bit of information I can share is that this is the wrong time of year to use Round Up on something like a tree. It works best when the plant is pulling all its energy back into its roots (i.e., autumn.)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 2/23/2011, 8:29 pm

Rumor mill says use round up. Cut the tree and immediately paint round up on it. I know there is an extra nasty version. You can also try boiling water. You could treat it as a pole for beans, perhaps they could strangle it or take away the light. Hope you find a solution.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 2/23/2011, 8:33 pm

You could try stripping the bark around the entire circumference of the trunk, a wide stripe deep enough the penetrate into the woody part. If the nutrients can't get from the roots to the leaves it will eventually kill it..theoretically...and I'd paint the stripe with brush killer too !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Tree Killing Instructions Please! Empty RE: Tree Killing Instructions Please!

Post  Goosegirl 2/23/2011, 8:56 pm

Megan wrote:The one teeny bit of information I can share is that this is the wrong time of year to use Round Up on something like a tree. It works best when the plant is pulling all its energy back into its roots (i.e., autumn.)

This is all for (hopefully) future use, as right now we are so buried in snow that I am just planning ahead.
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Tree Killing Instructions Please! Empty RE: Tree Killing Instructions Please!

Post  Goosegirl 2/23/2011, 8:59 pm

Patty from Yorktown wrote:Rumor mill says use round up. Cut the tree and immediately paint round up on it. I know there is an extra nasty version. You can also try boiling water. You could treat it as a pole for beans, perhaps they could strangle it or take away the light. Hope you find a solution.

Patty from Yorktown

I have tried the extra nasty version on it! But, I did not do it in the autumn like Megan suggested. I think I am going to try the bark stripping (or try to talk the rabbit that ate my new plum tree to take a crack at it!)

Thank you all for your ideas and keep them coming - I think I may need to use multiple attacks to get rid of this thing!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/23/2011, 10:01 pm

I had several fig trees in my front yard that took a few years to get rid of. (Knock on wood.) I would have liked to have kept them, but they were much too close to the foundation. So, I feel your pain. The tip about Round Up in autumn is just to optimize its use... if you can get the poison into the plant when it is drawing all its energy down into its roots, it will be more effective. But, even in the spring it may help. The girdling sounds like a good idea also.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/23/2011, 10:51 pm

What about using a chain saw to cut the thing off at its base?
Or even a hand saw?
That sounds like the solution to your problem.
Cutting down trees gets rid of them.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Tree Killing Instructions Please! Empty Tree Killer

Post  tabletopper 2/24/2011, 1:50 am

Tree Killer......try plain ole bleach.......I had luck with killing bamboo trees..........then replace the soil with Perfect Soil Mix....good luck...

Last edited by middlemamma on 2/24/2011, 3:19 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : took content out of the post title box)
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Tree Killing Instructions Please! Empty just get your sawout...

Post  Mirjam 2/24/2011, 2:35 am

I always just saw 'em off at the base, about 20 cm from the ground. Then you can put roundup on it, and after a few weeks dig the roots up. You have to really dig, because all the soil is inbetween the roots, which is wat makes it heavy. The more soil you remove, the easier it will come out.
You can try cutting the roots a little further away from the base, maybe near the sides of the planter, the further away, the easier it gets. Digging up and cutting them with pruning scissors can be an option too, depending on the size.

I've removed several 20 to 30 years old trees from my garden, and it takes some time, but eventually they always loose Very Happy
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/24/2011, 7:03 am

Mirjam wrote:I've removed several 20 to 30 years old trees from my garden, and it takes some time, but eventually they always loose Very Happy

Twisted Evil LOVE your determination and success! I have cut this thing off with pruners at ground level at least 3 times so what is above ground looks like a spindly branch but the base is at least 2 inches in diameter now. BUT...I have never put round-up on the cut afterward, I just always tried saturating the leaves when it was all leafed out. I am going to get EVIL!!! Evil or Very Mad (as soon as the snow disappears, that is.....)

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/24/2011, 8:50 am

The "Old Timers" around here swear by buttermilk on a cut tree, but that's mainly for a stump. We have some "trees" that keep popping up in the most inconvenient places, we had some plants out in the area they populated 2 years ago and had to let them go until we could get the plants up and mow. They resembled Crepe Myrtle's when they leaved out, those things are nearly impossible to kill. Cut them and they come back bigger and bushier than before. These trees are the main reason our garden is so far from the front/back door, otherwise I would have it closer, because the area I want only gets 8 hours of sun, and down here that is more than enough at times. These things have started popping up in my strawberry tower (work in progress) despite, newspaper (several layers) weed block and inches of dirt on top. I am beginning to think that there is a root system connected all over the yard just under the dirt.

I'll be watching this thread for more ideas on getting rid of my problem and I hope you get yours gone too.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum