Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Toplef10May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains I22gcj10May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Toplef10May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains I22gcj10May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains

+2
Gilligan
Kabaju42
6 posters

Go down

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Empty May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains

Post  Kabaju42 5/30/2010, 11:24 pm

It's the end of the month, and I think more of us in the Western Mountains and High plains region should have some gardens going by now. Let's compare notes and see how were doing.

I'll spare you more pictures of the snow, but we got it again last Monday. Fortunately it melted by the end of the day. The cold weather crops are doing great.

• We've harvested a lot of spinach, and now we're letting one spinach square go to seed just to see it.
  • We've harvested a few radishes. Since we got the Easter Egg blend we never know what kind of taste the next one will have.
  • The Romaine lettuce is growing well. None of it is full size yet, but I just took a leaf off because I had to taste it and it was tasty!
  • The peas are growing, and I'm making them find the trellis.
It's time here for the summer plants, so yesterday I finished a new box and we planted peppers and tomatoes. We planted 4 Romas, and 1 Mr. Stripy tomato (I just had to get one to try.) We also planted 4 bell pepper plants: 2 red, 1 orange and 1 purple.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow, but in the mean time I'd like to hear what the others here are seeing.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Empty Re: May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains

Post  Gilligan 6/1/2010, 10:27 pm

In general, the weather here has been cooler than normal so things have been slow to grow (at least that's what I'm blaming it on).

The peas have been in for just over a month. The corn and beans for a couple of weeks. The second planting of corn will probably be within the next two weeks. The watermelon and cantaloupe are transplants from the local nursery and have only been in a week or less.
May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Mini-i10

The carrots have been in 3-4 weeks and are very slow but are still alive. The onions starts are doing great and the tomatoes and pepper (just put in) are from the nursery and will hopefully take off when the weather warms up.
May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Mini-i11

Other than that, not much going on in the garden besides spraying the bind weed and trying to kill it off but it's stubborn. The forecast is for mid-80s the next week so I'm excited to see if it takes off growing. If it doesn't I'll have to blame something else besides the weather...
Gilligan
Gilligan

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Empty Re: May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains

Post  Kabaju42 6/2/2010, 12:22 am

You can always blame it on the Thyme, that's a fun one. May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Icon_lol You know it just takes thyme for things to grow.

I know, I know, bad joke May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Icon_rolleyes but I just haven't been able to use the thyme joke for a while.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC 6/3/2010, 8:09 pm

I finally have everything planted, all from seed, some seeds started indoors, but no garden plants bought at the store. I still have some tomato plants inside as potential replacements for hail damaged outdoor ones, but the outdoor ones are still in their Wall-o-waters, so...

now that it's just a waiting and watering game outside I have to get back to work on the inside of the house. ugh. I would so much rather be playing in the dirt...
PeggyC
PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AliSmith13 6/3/2010, 10:27 pm

I got a late start on the garden this year, but just had my first salad of spinach, mixed greens (mesculin) and radishes. It was AMAZING! This is my first year gardening so I have to admit that this is the first time ever having garden fresh organic veggies! It was GREAT! Too bad there wasn't enough for the rest of the family... May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Icon_twisted

The weather is FINALLY starting to warm up here in Idaho (much later than average) but lots of rain and overcast days. My zucchini is finally starting to take off. The radishes and mixed greens are doing great, the bush peas (Little Marvel) that I planted from seed are doing great and seem to be thriving, but no harvest yet and they are still fairly small plants, as are my sugar snap peas (I bought those as plants at local nursery. Again, I got a bit of a late start. Sad My peppers haven't seemed to do much since I transplanted them in the garden, but I'm hoping that as the weather warms up they'll get busy growing. Carrots from seed are still very small but alive and growing each day. My sweet onions are doing great and my herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, and chives) are doing great, too! My cucumber plant died. Sad I think I just put it out before it was warm enough. The tomato plant is doing well and my green beans (pole varieties) are doing VERY well! They are growing so much daily it just amazes me. I love going out there the morning after we have a warm day and seeing such a huge difference in my plants!

How do you guys handle waiting...I mean, I can just sit for HOURS out in the garden just examining things, pulling little tiny weeds, checking every detail of each plant....but eventually I have to tell myself to get a LIFE! Lol. I just cannot wait to really start seeing the fruits of my labor for the first time!
AliSmith13
AliSmith13

Female Posts : 49

http://aliscouponadventures.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Empty My garden seems pretty happy

Post  Wyldflower 6/4/2010, 7:31 pm

These are from last weekend - there has been progress since then, but the only things ready to harvest are the lettuces and green onions (I'm pulling some from each square and letting some grow bigger).

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains May_2910

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains May_2911

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains May_2912

May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains May_2914
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 6/4/2010, 7:51 pm

AliSmith13 wrote:How do you guys handle waiting...I mean, I can just sit for HOURS out in the garden just examining things, pulling little tiny weeds, checking every detail of each plant....but eventually I have to tell myself to get a LIFE! Lol. I just cannot wait to really start seeing the fruits of my labor for the first time!

When I first planted my garden I'd go out there every day after work and check each square looking for sprouts, I'd count the one by one while they were coming up. Now that most everything has sprouted I still go to the garden after work before I even go inside.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Back to top Go down

Post  valientor 6/5/2010, 12:22 am

So funny! I thought I was the only one that was so crazy like that. I sadly have to travel to get to my garden as it is at a community garden and the rain has been so bad that it has tempered my obsession and I haven't gone every day, but when it's nice I can spend hours there. To make it look like I'm being productive, I started making a rock path around my boxes, lol! Anything to not look too crazy.
valientor
valientor

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  AliSmith13 6/5/2010, 11:22 am

Haha...yeah, my husband says I need to put some kind of stone path around my beds or something because I'm wearing out the grass around them. May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Icon_redface May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Icon_lol May roundup: Wester Mountains and High plains Icon_cyclops
AliSmith13
AliSmith13

Female Posts : 49

http://aliscouponadventures.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 6/5/2010, 6:23 pm

I like that idea, I'll have to put that on my list.

Right now my we just have bare dirt around the boxes. I want to grow grass from seed, but my wife says it gets too much traffic to give them a chance.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down