Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Northern WI (zone 4) Toplef10Northern WI (zone 4) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Northern WI (zone 4) I22gcj10Northern WI (zone 4) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Northern WI (zone 4) Toplef10Northern WI (zone 4) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Northern WI (zone 4) I22gcj10Northern WI (zone 4) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Northern WI (zone 4)

+2
mckr3441
Daynannan
6 posters

Go down

Northern WI (zone 4) Empty Northern WI (zone 4)

Post  Daynannan 3/10/2010, 11:40 am

Hello,

This is my second year doing a SFG. Last year I managed to kill everything in my garden. I had a baby March 25 2009 and by time I got every thing planted it was way too late in the season and well...with an infant I was busy. I did get my boxes built and filled w/ Mel's Mix so I'm way ahead this year.

I want to start Broccoli, Tomatoes, Zucchini, Pumpkin and Kohlrabi indoors. I want to direct sow Green Beans, Edamame, Sugar Snap Peas, Carrots and I'll probably get some Onions too. I have all my seeds from last year except the Tomatoes, my dad is giving me some of his though.

Yesterday with the beautiful spring weather I added some more peat moss to my boxes. I didn't quite enough Mel's Mix last year so they were low. Our landfill sells compost from lawn bags they collect. I think I'll go get some of that and mix it in. I don't have the grid on the boxes so it'll be easy to add before I put those on.

If you can't tell...I'm really excited about this. I'm determined to do better this year. I might even get to can some of my harvest.

Any other people in my zone? I'm zone 4.

Dayna
Daynannan
Daynannan

Female Posts : 65

http://www.TheRedPineapple.com

Back to top Go down

Northern WI (zone 4) Empty Re: Northern WI (zone 4)

Post  mckr3441 3/10/2010, 5:18 pm

Hi Dayna. Welcome!!!

I'm happy to hear that someone up "north" here can actually see their boxes, let alone begin to add to their soil! I am envious!

I haven't seen anyone in the N&C Midwest from area 4 yet that I know of. But wait. They'll be sprouting like weeds (oh, sorry, we SFGers don't do weeds) very soon. In the meantime enjoy the conversations and ask for any help you need.

One caution I would have about the compost from the landfill would be if there were any chemicals, weed spray etc. on the grass they are composting. Now, if the compost has been really cooked you may not have a problem but at least you should be aware.

I relate to your excitement. Spring brings that out in all of us!

Keep coming back to the forums and keep us posted with your successes.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  Daynannan 3/10/2010, 5:32 pm

I guess I didn't think of chemicals in the compost. I could go back to Menards and get some mushroom compost again until I get mine going. I built a composter out of a plastic barrel. Thanks for the tip.
Daynannan
Daynannan

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/10/2010, 5:36 pm

Mushroom compost is GOOD.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  upnorthgardener 3/12/2010, 3:21 pm

Hey Dayna!

I'm a second yearer too. I am getting so excited to plant as my SFG is completely melted and the weather has been really unseasonably warm.

I am farther north than you, Zone 3a, about 60 miles north of Duluth. I had great success last year with broccoli, peas (the little buggers were over 10 feet tall!), carrots and chard. The tomatoes did ok, but it was the weather, not the garden!

I hope to get a second SFG in this spring for more tomatoes and some peppers. My twin grandsons just love picking fresh tomatoes and peas from the garden and eating them on the spot. You can't get more whole foods than that!

Good luck with your second season and hopefully, we will get a few more Up North people on the site!

Happy Planting!

Lori Jo
upnorthgardener
upnorthgardener

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Daynannan 3/12/2010, 4:01 pm

Lori Jo,

Oh boy...your way up north. I didn't have much success last year due to the fact I started too late and we had bad weather. With my boxes built I'm sure I'll have a better year this time. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

Do your grandsons live near? Oh how I wish my mom lived near so she can take care of visit with her grandsons...my 3 year old and 1 year old.

Dayna
Daynannan
Daynannan

Back to top Go down

Northern WI (zone 4) Empty I'm a 4!

Post  new2this 3/21/2010, 8:54 am

I'm responding a little late to this thread, but here I am......a new SFG'er in southeast MN.

I'm a stayhome mom of 3. We live in a small town, but my heart is in the country. I've thought about gardening for a few yrs now, but was worried that it would be too "unattrative" for in town, and too much work. Well, I heard about SFG and this is my year - I'm gonna have a little slice of the country right here in town!!!

I am very excited about this new adventure for me and my kids to enjoy. This dratted MN weather is bumming me out though - but I should get real. It's what we all expect up here, huh?

I will be planting 2 4'x4' beds, 1 2'x4' bed, and I've seriously been thinking about raspberries and blueberries as well. Any thoughts on the fruits from you 'northern zone 4' gardeners?

Thanks,

Tonya in se MN
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/21/2010, 12:26 pm

Dayna, Thanks for starting this Zone 4 thread. I'm not sure what Zones are in the N&C Midwest Forum as I never paid much attention to any but my own Zone. I hope I can learn what other zones are here and start special sections for each. Your post should bring together folks in Zone 4 and for that I thank you. (You get Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_flower Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_flower Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_flower . Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_smile

Happy Forum using and Happy Gardening.

P.S. Everyone can help me make this Forum even better if you will check your frost dates and post them in the thread for frosts. Thanks.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Anstar 3/22/2010, 2:02 pm

Hello! I'm totally new to SFG, but not new to gardening in the North. Very Happy We're 4a here in Bismarck, ND (3b, depending on where you're at in town relative to the river).

I'm excited to start! We still have a good foot of snow in the yard, though. Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_eek It's melting, it's just not gone. DH (darling husband) really, really wants to build some SFG's and turn them into cold frames on the south side of the house - probably 2'x4'. I'm not so sure - we have had such good luck with the spring tulips in those locations, and I'd hate to loose them even to vegetable production. We have a large yard, and plenty of other places to put SFG's. Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_flower

So far I plan on doing 2 2x4 SFGs where I wish we had a fence between the neighbors and us, and then more 4x4's in the back. I have yet to figure out how many - it's a 12'x24' garden area, but I haven't worked out how many SFG's will fit.

As to fruits in the north... We have had good luck with gooseberries and concord grapes. Raspberries do well. Some strawberries, but I haven't settled on a favorite variety.

I'm just starting my planning for what I want to plant this year. Haven't even made it through my first rough list yet, lol. I'm not too concerned yet, but my start date for some seeds is April 1st, and April 20th for tomatoes. So, very soon!
Anstar

Male Posts : 23

http://therubylife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/23/2010, 1:03 am

Welcome to the Forums, Anstar Northern WI (zone 4) 61949 . I'm so glad you joined us here in the Northern and Central Midwest Forum. This Zone 4 topic is drawing more people each day. I guess it's because your snow is finally melting Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_smile .

I hope you enjoy yourself on the forums and in the gardens this summer. And, post pictures any time you can. If you have a chance and haven't done it already could you check your frost dates and post them in the Frost thread? Thanks.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Anstar 3/23/2010, 12:35 pm

I had to laugh when you said to post pictures. Well, okay... You asked for it....

Northern WI (zone 4) Dsc06910

This is the view of the yard from my back patio. Notice the plum tree in the center and the rose bush and grape arbor in front of the shed. The main garden area will be just to the right of that shed.

Northern WI (zone 4) Dsc06911

Here's the garden area. It's about 12' x 24'. Notice the compost bin in the back on the left. Also, notice the shade from the currently leafless tree. That will change, I promise. Most of my yard gets limited sun in the summer, and this is one of the best spots. There is a spot up front that gets more sun, and that's where I will be planting my tomatoes and peppers.

Northern WI (zone 4) Rear_g10

Here's my plan for the back garden. It's in 3x3 instead of 4x4 in order to leave room for 3' walkways. Additionally, I'll be carrying around a new infant starting in June and I don't expect to be able to reach the center of a 4x4. We have three young boys, and they will be helping as well.

In the plan, you can see two melon plants with lots of space around them. I do plan to trellis the Cukes, but I thought I would try one of the smaller "bush" type melons and see how they do without a trellis. It's an experiment, so bear with me.

Also, it probably looks like a lot of peas, beans, lettuce, spinich, and carrots. That is due to our participation in our state ag department's variety trials. We plant two varieties of each crop, and compare them at the end of the harvest season. The trials include enough seed for a 10' row, but I'm not sure how to convert that for SFG. I assume that the 1 plant per square plants will work like one square equals one foot row, and that the 9 plants per square plants will work like one square equals 3 foot rows. Does anyone have experience converting foot rows to squares?
Anstar

Male Posts : 23

http://therubylife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/25/2010, 1:34 pm

Love your pictures Anstar! Our yard looked just like that a matter of a few days ago. We are so happy to see our crocus blooming now Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_smile

Using 3x3 boxes to leave walking space around them is a very good idea. Those also are the size boxes recommended for children to garden. So you are right on track!

Have you read the All New Square Foot Gardening book yet? Mel describes the conversions in the book. You can get a copy at most libraries, although I understand there's a waiting list at some libraries.

In general we think, 1, 4, 9, 16 and "thin to":

If the seed packed says thin to:

• 12" apart = 1 plant per sq.ft.
  • 6" apart = 4 plants per sq.ft.
  • 4" apart = 9 plants per sq.ft.
  • 3" apart = 16 plants per sq.ft.

Hope this is helpful Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_smile . May the sun shine on you and your garden.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/25/2010, 1:38 pm

Hi Tonya! WELCOME! Northern WI (zone 4) Icon_biggrin

I miss a day on the Forum and I miss new members! Thank you for coming to our site. We look forward to hearing your garden stories and I hope you have already enjoyed some of the stories on the Forums.

We're all just getting going as you probably can see by now. But we are going to be a very busy group.

Keep coming back!
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Northern WI (zone 4) Empty Questionable Compost

Post  capsounddad 4/9/2010, 10:00 pm

Daynannan,

Just a thought about compost from questionable sources. If you have the time and a little extra space, a separate bin that is somewhat protected from the elements (in a shed for instance) can be further processed by a horde of red wiggler worms. An organization in Milwaukee called Growing Power has "grown" their own growing medium for years now by accepting landfill compost mixed with brewery wastes and having the worms not only break it down further but add nutrients to it in about 6-12 months.

Rick Melcher
capsounddad

Male Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/9/2010, 11:26 pm

Hello again, Rick,

Just saw your post in the Welcome Mat. I'm glad you found the Northern & Central Midwest Regional forum. We hope you'll hang out here and give us a regular report on your weather, planting (and building if your starting from scratch), and harvest.

I think I remember that you have had some SFG experiences, so many of us will be looking to you, as one of experts, for guidance.

Welcome Northern WI (zone 4) 396615
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum