Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. Toplef10Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. I22gcj10Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. Toplef10Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. I22gcj10Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.

+9
OhioGardener
yolos
Kelejan
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
RJARPCGP
countrynaturals
mollyhespra
13 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. Empty Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.

Post  mollyhespra 8/5/2019, 4:39 pm

Hi, all.

I checked in a few months ago after quite the hiatus due to some pretty serious medical issues with DH.

I had high hopes of being able to tame the garden after (now) 3 summers of neglect,  but ongoing issues have prevented me from doing more than covering one of the beds with black plastic and planting a few potato onions. 

Summer is almost over now.  FF is in about a month.  All I want at this point is to pull the weeds out of the lanes between the beds and lay some plastic on the remaining beds to kill the weeds and hopefully return some nutrients into the soil by composting the weeds in place,  as it were. 

I worked for about 5 hours yesterday and got an area roughly 10 x 5 cleared out.  I learned goldenrods have tenacious roots. 

Anyway,  I do better when I set a goal and have some accountability for it, so I'd like to ask you all for help.  Just be my cheerleaders, if you're willing. 

My poor garden and I thank you. Sad
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. Empty Re: Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.

Post  mollyhespra 8/5/2019, 4:55 pm

What my garden used to look like: 

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. Img_1610
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. Empty Re: Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.

Post  mollyhespra 8/5/2019, 4:58 pm

What it looks like now in glorious panoramic mode: 

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 20190810

Those weeds are taller than I am. They just LOVE the mm.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/5/2019, 6:45 pm

First of all, how is Hubby doing?

2nd -- any chance there's something edible in all that? Maybe volunteers from previous years? If so, harvest what you can and brag about it, here. Razz

After that, I'd be happy to watch and cheer for whatever you do next. reading 

Finally, throw in some radish seeds or something to prove to the weeds that you won't be defeated. get that pesky wabbi
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 8/5/2019, 6:50 pm

Good to see you! Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 43549 I have already for weeks and weeks, IIRC, been under an AWOL warning issued by me.  Sad  (because of you being gone for weeks and weeks, IIRC)

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 2027012869  carrot
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/5/2019, 7:13 pm

Hey!  Welcome back, Molly!!!!  

OK, get an attack plan together.  We know we can’t get this happening over night.  So:

1.  Do you want to get anything in this year?  Like CN suggested, do you want to put in a couple squares of radishes and lettuce to get you back, or skip it?  

2.  You have all year.  Actually, the timing is good.  Cooling off.  Decide what your priorities are.  

3. Make it what you need today.  No need to resurrect the former glory; just make it something workable.  

4.  You will have to nourish the MM, decide how you want to do it.  I would suggest doing it as cheaply as possible to get it back in shape for next spring.  If you don’t have compost, I would look into purchased or bone and blood meal.  

Glad you are back, missed ya!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/5/2019, 10:13 pm

countrynaturals wrote:First of all, how is Hubby doing?

2nd -- any chance there's something edible in all that? Maybe volunteers from previous years? If so, harvest what you can and brag about it, here. Razz

After that, I'd be happy to watch and cheer for whatever you do next. reading 

Finally, throw in some radish seeds or something to prove to the weeds that you won't be defeated. get that pesky wabbi

Hi, Suz! Thanks so much for the support and advice!

DH isn't doing so well right now. Just got home after almost 3 weeks in hospitals and rehabs due to a very bad series of seizures that left him pretty loopy, not to mention deconditioned from being in bed for so long. But in typical form, he's hopeful that he'll recover quickly, so we'll see. So in the meantime I just don't have it in me to plant or take care of anything other than him and the cat (oh, and me, lol).

Also, part of the problem with the garden is that there is or at least was stuff in there I was hoping to save, which is why it didn't all just get covered in plastic at the start of the season.

At this point, I'm ready to just pull it all out and start fresh next year if I can at least get it weeded.

P.S. I'm not used to the (new to me) forum. What's with the plus and minus signs? I thought I was making the font smaller and it looks like I somehow downvoted your post? Sanderson? Can you fix my boo-boo?

Last edited by mollyhespra on 8/5/2019, 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/5/2019, 10:15 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:Good to see you! Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 43549 I have already for weeks and weeks, IIRC, been under an AWOL warning issued by me.  Sad  (because of you being gone for weeks and weeks, IIRC)

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 2027012869  carrot

Hi, RJ. Thanks for the welcome back and for putting out at AWOL warning. I'm fine, just crazy busy dealing with things. I see your lillies are beautiful! Are you still growing your hibiscuses?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/5/2019, 10:25 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Hey!  Welcome back, Molly!!!!  

OK, get an attack plan together.  We know we can’t get this happening over night.  So:

1.  Do you want to get anything in this year?  Like CN suggested, do you want to put in a couple squares of radishes and lettuce to get you back, or skip it?  

2.  You have all year.  Actually, the timing is good.  Cooling off.  Decide what your priorities are.  

3. Make it what you need today.  No need to resurrect the former glory; just make it something workable.  

4.  You will have to nourish the MM, decide how you want to do it.  I would suggest doing it as cheaply as possible to get it back in shape for next spring.  If you don’t have compost, I would look into purchased or bone and blood meal.  

Glad you are back, missed ya!

SR! Good to "see" you too! Thanks for the welcome back!

Good point about making it what I need today. I think that what I need is to get the garden to not taunt me every time I drive by, go outside, or look out a window. Right now all the weeds are blowing raspberries my way. The garden used to be my happy place. Now it's not so much.

I'm also finding that the summers of neglect have also created a great places for snails and slugs to multiply. Boo. And I'm sure the beds are full of grubs as well since I've not been around to apply the usual beneficial nematode treatments, so I don't see the point of trying to grow anything under these conditions. It would just add to my dismay.

And you're right about the MM needing replenishing. Fortunately my beds are deep, but I can see where the weeds have really "eaten" down the MM quite a bit. I could just get some cow manure and then cover the beds? Or maybe just cover now to kill the weeds and then top-dress with cow, even if it's not perfectly composted, the winter will take care of that. Thoughts?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 8/5/2019, 11:11 pm

mollyhespra wrote:

Hi, RJ.  Thanks for the welcome back and for putting out at AWOL warning. I'm fine, just crazy busy dealing with things.  I see your lillies are beautiful!  Are you still growing your hibiscuses?
Sadly, don't have one ATM. That was before I even moved, which was on February 24, 2018.
Been here for 17 months now...
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/6/2019, 2:28 am

Hi, Molly, Welcome back. You have a beautiful SFG set up. Just those darn weeds.

What about leaving the weeds in the isles or a pile somewhere so their seeds aren't introduced into the beds. Partial solarization* may help the beds, that is, pull out the weeds, wet, cover with clear plastic for a couple weeks to force germination of seeds. Then, clean those out, top dress with lots of cheap compost like Gardner's chicken manure or the cow manure and cover with old sheets. That will keep new seeds from blowing in until next spring but allow rain water into the bed.

For the isles, cut or pull weeds. Top with a couple layers of cardboard for the winter. Come spring, you may have a relatively clean area to start fresh.

* http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/6/2019, 6:39 am

Hey Molly!!! Great to see you!

You've gotten some good advice. Just start in one corner. That's all you have to do right now. Even if it's just one square at a time.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/6/2019, 10:00 am

Hi,  Sanderson!  Hey,  thanks for that link.  Interesting article though I'm afraid I've probably missed the window of opportunity up by my little northern garden.  That being said,  a modified version of that plan might work. Like you said,  use clear plastic to encourage germination and then smoother those damnable weeds, lol!  Thanks again!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/6/2019, 10:05 am

Hi, AM!  Yep,  that's what I'm doing.  Just trying to limit it to one section at a time.  I'm hand- pulling the weeds.  Something I actually enjoy doing. I find it oddly satisfying and therapeutic.  Here's where I left off on Sunday:

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 20190811

That little section took me about 5 hours and resulted in 2 huge cart loads of greens into the compost pile. 

It'll be a few days before I'm able to get out there's again,  unfortunately. Too many Drs appointments,  etc.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/6/2019, 7:24 pm

Good start.  Baby steps, you gotta make this bite sized or it will overwhelm you.  I like what you have done, just glad to see ya!  cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/6/2019, 7:50 pm

Thanks, SR!  We just got home from a long day at Drs. appointments but there was still enough light for me to do this much more:

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 20190812

I would have kept going but the skeeters found me.  Oh well.  Half of a 5 gallon bucket qualifies as baby steps, right?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 8/6/2019, 10:53 pm

Mosquitoes! Especially post-July, they're dangerous! Increased risk of the eastern equine virus, which is too well known for encephalitis! Shocked

Get encephalitis, then you will be lucky to know how to walk and remember the things you learned from before the exposure.
It does look like seizures are likely with the virus.

In some cases, even the far more usual West Nile virus, can cause encephalitis! Shocked
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/7/2019, 7:58 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Thanks, SR!  We just got home from a long day at Drs. appointments but there was still enough light for me to do this much more:

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 20190812

I would have kept going but the skeeters found me.  Oh well.  Half of a 5 gallon bucket qualifies as baby steps, right?
Awesome!  It’s more than yesterday...keep on truckin’ afro
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/8/2019, 5:55 am

Just started to read this thread and feeling encouraged to get on with my huge weeding problem after being away for at least five weeks then finally getting all the long grass mowed and looking presentable.

I have almost managed to clear one 6x3 bed completely and hope to plant lettuce and radish seeds.  In the past I have made too many beds, and as a single person really do not need heaps of vegetables that only have to be given away.  Also age has a way of creeping up on you and one can never do as much as ten years ago. I need to downsize my efforts and get back to enjoying what I do.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/8/2019, 10:41 am

Thanks for the encouragement,  SR!  thanks

Hiya,  Kelejan!  Here's another picture of the glorious weed garden, just for you.  Don't think of cutting back on the extent of your garden as "downsizing" but more "appropriate sizing" which sounds more positive.   We're starting to "downsize" in many respects, too, especially after DH's accident.  I just can't manage it all and still maintain some semblance of enjoyment. For me,  I've found that saying no to things that take more energy than they return have to go,  though it's hard. Anyway,  I'm happy to share the encouragement to get your garden weeded!  Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 1280598131

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 20190813

Oh, almost forgot to update:  I didn't get any additional weeding done yesterday.  Too muggy and no time between work and DH's appointments.  Today it's raining, plus need to get work done,  more appointments, etc. I may be able to get just a little more weeding in at the end of the day.  I don't mind working in the rain. We'll see!

Last edited by mollyhespra on 8/8/2019, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/8/2019, 10:48 am

Thanks for the encouragement and the picture, MollyH.  It is now 7:45am and still cool enough to do half an hour's weeding.  I have learned not to do things until I have dropped.  After half an hour I will do something else that needs a different action such as not bending down, such as standing up and clipping some branches off shrubs etc.

Then I will stop and take a break and check my emails etc.  Keep doing that until it gets too warm then stop until it gets cool in the evening.  Most of all, not to get uptight about I am unable to do today. It will still be there tomorrow.

Last edited by Kelejan on 8/8/2019, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/8/2019, 10:52 am

Yes, that's an awesome plan,  Kelejan! You go girl!

Oh, and P.S.: did you happen to notice the black rectangular thing in the earlier pictures?  It's an old "step" from when "step aerobics" was the rage.  It's just the right height to sit at and be able to weed at ground level. I found it at a thrift shop.  Something to consider for your back?

Last edited by mollyhespra on 8/8/2019, 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/8/2019, 10:55 am

Thanks, Molly.   Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 3170584802
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 8/9/2019, 8:18 pm

Ok, so I was able to get about an hour in just before twilight.  I'm finding all sorts of lost pots among the weeds,  lol!

Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 20190814
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/9/2019, 8:28 pm

WOW! Molly, lots of potential, there. Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting. 1787710427
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next