Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England November, 2018 Toplef10New England November, 2018 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England November, 2018 I22gcj10New England November, 2018 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England November, 2018 Toplef10New England November, 2018 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England November, 2018 I22gcj10New England November, 2018 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England November, 2018

5 posters

Go down

New England November, 2018 Empty New England November, 2018

Post  CapeCoddess 11/2/2018, 3:20 pm

We're having the most unusual weather this fall - hot, cold, rain, wind and everything in between - all mixed up day by day.  Warmish today - low 60's.  

Got my garlic planted yesterday!   cheers  Also transplanted about 20 kale teenagers from the SFG to the kitchen garden for winter harvesting.  Hoping to do some box composting this weekend but who knows what the future holds...especially since I just got season 3 of Outlander from the library!  I love you

What's everyone else up to?
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

New England November, 2018 Empty Re: New England November, 2018

Post  sanderson 11/3/2018, 3:02 am

Will you be tossing any sea weed on the boxes? I told Miss Lilly to remind you.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/5/2018, 12:30 pm

sanderson wrote:Will you be tossing any sea weed on the boxes?  I told Miss Lilly to remind you.

lol...yes!  Matter of fact the garlic box already has a layer of seaweed on it.  I had to plant through it.  There is also some on the new compost pile along with some fall leaves that I mowed up yesterday.  But I need a lot more seaweed so once Indian summer arrives I'll hit the beach again.

Miss Lilly has taken over the heating pad already.  It's always a battle come seed sprouting time.
Rolling Eyes
New England November, 2018 Photo_12
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/8/2018, 2:21 am

I love you

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/8/2018, 5:50 pm

Miss Lilly has the right idea!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/20/2018, 2:59 pm

We'll be fighting over that heating pad on Thankgiving day:

US National Weather Service Boston MA
An arctic cold front will bring blustery and chilly conditions to southern New England tomorrow night and thru Thanksgiving Day. Wind chills ranging from sub-zero to the single digits above zero are expected.
Daytime highs on Thanksgiving Day are forecast to range from the teens to low 20s across the interior, and upper teens to mid 20s closer to the coast. This is about 30 degrees below normal for this time of year.

Shocked

But if it's sunny,  maybe I can use my new rooftop gift to myself:
New England November, 2018 09210
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/20/2018, 6:54 pm

We literally had no Fall.  Went from 80s to 30s, and stayed there.  It is just crazy.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 11/24/2018, 7:22 am

Cape Coddess, that heating pad might be priceless. They are not made like that anymore. They only stay on for a few hours and automatically shut-off. I still have the one I used as my first germination mat. Then I made a homemade one utilizing rope lights and just picked up a new 18' rope light as a replacement. Mine uses 2-18' rope lights to create a 2' x 4' station enough for 4-1020 trays. I did buy a germination mat with a thermostat control that also does 4-1020 trays. The rope light station is excellent for tomatoes, peppers and eggplant stays at 75-80 F but with the germination mat with the thermostat I finally got rosemary in numbers to germinate at 70 F. I think I may have celery down too. Will know for sure after this year.

To get back on topic we should be calling this month Novembery here as when it gets down to single digits the month should have a y at the end of its name. As a procrastinator this extreme cold weather throws my things that must get done list to maybe next year. Suppose to warm up so I should get most things put away.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/25/2018, 9:55 am

happy hi Dan!  So nice to meet you!

Thanks for mentioning that the new heating pads turn off after a while.  I bought a longer one last year but have yet to use it, so now I know to be sure to keep an eye it if/when I do. 

What else do you like to grow over there in CT?  I have great luck with lettuces, green leafies and garlic here.  They seem to do fine with lots of tender loving neglect Laughing

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 11/25/2018, 2:00 pm

Hi CapeCoddess, Thank you for the welcome and it is nice to meet you. I grow garlic very well here but skipped the last couple of years. I got some of my seed garlic with an instruction page from Wayne Hansen at The Coventry Farmers Market here in Ct years ago. He had the first certified organic farm here in Ct. I didn't know that or the he was Mr Organic Garlic until some time later. He is now selling his farm. I do grow my garlic in raised beds with 6" spacing in all directions. I will get back to growing it again next year because my daughter wants to learn how. I do grow mostly in buckets and will start next year using grow bags but as a Bucketeer, I consider what I do mini-raised bed gardening.

I do like growing my own celery because until you grow your own you can never experience that flavor burst. As a cook that secret ingredient called freshness makes me 10 times the cook I really am. I think I will also do potatoes in a welded wire 2" x 4" x 3' wire enclosure again. I like Kennebecs and they do well here. Can't beat a just dug potato! I do snow peas in the spring, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and summer squash in the summer. Several herbs but especially basil. Going to try and grow blue berries in a bucket this year to get the pH correct and then possibly transplant in the fall. Had a hard time growing raspberries here, great looking brambles but never any berries. I do have wild raspberries at the corner of the garage, so it could be a virus that the wild ones carry but are not affected by.

I grow spinach, lettuces and greens on the railing of the back deck using window box containers. I get very little sunlight in the backyard as my property is line on three sides by my neighbors mature maple trees. So although they grow slowly seldom do they bolt. I do try and steward the earthworms here so I am never gardening alone. I do add earthworms to my buckets per Dr. Wade Elmer's experiment. This might be the year I get serious and identify all the species that call The Crazy Half Acre home which is an Insect Sanctuary, Weed Sanitarium and Earthworm Research Center.

I have been busy the last couple of years with education, first Master Composter and then Master Gardener both programs furthered my understanding but in no way did either maker me an expert. This is usually the time of year I pick a few topics and research them. By March it slows down as I start my seeds and begin making plans for the next year. The history of the heirloom tomato is one topic, always some aspect of earthworms, biochar and drip irrigation are some of the others. Herbs and their uses if I have enough time.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/25/2018, 6:45 pm

Dan in Ct wrote:Hi CapeCoddess, Thank you for the welcome and it is nice to meet you. I grow garlic very well here but skipped the last couple of years. I got some of my seed garlic with an instruction page from Wayne Hansen at The Coventry Farmers Market here in Ct years ago. He had the first certified organic farm here in Ct. I didn't know that or the he was Mr Organic Garlic until some time later. He is now selling his farm. I do grow my garlic in raised beds with 6" spacing in all directions. I will get back to growing it again next year because my daughter wants to learn how. I do grow mostly in buckets and will start next year using grow bags but as a Bucketeer, I consider what I do mini-raised bed gardening.

I do like growing my own celery because until you grow your own you can never experience that flavor burst. As a cook that secret ingredient called freshness makes me 10 times the cook I really am. I think I will also do potatoes in a welded wire 2" x 4" x 3' wire enclosure again. I like Kennebecs and they do well here. Can't beat a just dug potato! I do snow peas in the spring, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and summer squash in the summer. Several herbs but especially basil. Going to try and grow blue berries in a bucket this year to get the pH correct and then possibly transplant in the fall. Had a hard time growing raspberries here, great looking brambles but never any berries. I do have wild raspberries at the corner of the garage, so it could be a virus that the wild ones carry but are not affected by.

I grow spinach, lettuces and greens on the railing of the back deck using window box containers. I get very little sunlight in the backyard as my property is line on three sides by my neighbors mature maple trees. So although they grow slowly seldom do they bolt. I do try and steward the earthworms here so I am never gardening alone. I do add earthworms to my buckets per Dr. Wade Elmer's experiment. This might be the year I get serious and identify all the species that call The Crazy Half Acre home which is an Insect Sanctuary, Weed Sanitarium and Earthworm Research Center.

I have been busy the last couple of years with education, first Master Composter and then Master Gardener both programs furthered my understanding but in no way did either maker me an expert. This is usually the time of year I pick a few topics and research them. By March it slows down as I start my seeds and begin making plans for the next year. The history of the heirloom tomato is one topic, always some aspect of earthworms, biochar and drip irrigation are some of the others. Herbs and their uses if I have enough time.
Hi, Dan!  Welcome from Ohio!  You are quite accomplished, and I have never even thought about growing celery...hmmm.

Glad you are here, you should introduce yourself on the general thread!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 11/25/2018, 10:40 pm

Dan in Ct wrote:To get back on topic we should be calling this month Novembery here as when it gets down to single digits the month should have a y at the end of its name. As a procrastinator this extreme cold weather throws my things that must get done list to maybe next year. Suppose to warm up so I should get most things put away.
QFT, especially when the maximum daytime temp is sub-33 F!
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down