Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Toplef10Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 I22gcj10Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Toplef10Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 I22gcj10Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

+28
Luvslions
ispinwool
toledobend
mollyhespra
Yardslave
kygardener
SQWIB
No_Such_Reality
Roseinarosecity
BlackjackWidow
Kelejan
jimmy cee
Scorpio Rising
kamigh
CapeCoddess
Kate888
crankyoldman
PNG_Grandma
has55
camprn
liam1027
Turan
AtlantaMarie
farmersgranddaughter
yolos
countrynaturals
trolleydriver
sanderson
32 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Empty Re: Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

Post  sanderson 4/4/2021, 3:35 am

Husband to the rescue.  Not only has he cleaned and amended the beds, but he is setting out my seedlings!  He moved a chair around the yard for me to give instructions on what to plant where.  Tomorrow is a nasty job of amending the BTE strip with chicken manure for 12 of the indeterminate tomatoes.

The gardening stool from Gardener's Supply arrived and I hope to try it out in a couple of days. https://www.gardeners.com/buy/garden-kneelers/40-008.html?VariationId=V_5637187410

Planting luffa, cucumbers and cantaloupe in a 2'x4' bed. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Ken_ca10

Planting the precious Snow Fairy tomatoes in the 2'x8' on-ground bed with cement board bottom.  Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Ken_sn10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Kelejan and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Empty Re: Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/4/2021, 8:24 am

He's a keeper, that's for sure!   Very Happy

The "precious snow fairy tomatoes"?  What do you like about them?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/4/2021, 9:08 am

Kudos for you husband, sanderson,  I like his kneepads, I could do with some of them as they look so comfortable. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/4/2021, 12:11 pm

I have always enjoyed photo's from your garden. hoping your Easter is a pleasant one, I have a lot of catching up to do...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/4/2021, 12:37 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:He's a keeper, that's for sure!   Very Happy

The "precious snow fairy tomatoes"?  What do you like about them?
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t21678-tomato-snow-fairy#300009

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/4/2021, 12:50 pm

Kelejan wrote:Kudos for you husband, sanderson,  I like his kneepads, I could do with some of them as they look so comfortable. Very Happy
His son gifted them. Ken has always had knee pads, but he said these are the best he has ever had. Light weight, R and L knee design for full comfort.

https://liftsafety.com/collections/knee-protection/products/pivotal-two-knee-guard

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/6/2021, 1:12 am

And, the expansion continues: 2 blueberries, 1 lemon, 1 lime, 1 nectarine, and 2 pears. May have to wait until next sporing for a cherry tree. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Fruit_11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/4/2021, 1:06 pm

It's been 6 months since I posted on this thread.  I lost almost 6 months of full gardening activities due to health this year.

I woke up this December morning to fog and a rose bush full of roses!  Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Garde102

The CA soft neck garlic cloves have been in about 7 weeks now, and have been growing like crazy.  I will be mulching with E-Z Straw any time now.  The strawberry plants my daughter transplanted for me this spring, propagated like mad.  I cut off the cascading runners and plants recently, and will try to tidy the plants and maybe thin and cover with straw before real winter starts.  Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Garlic18

The pot area needs a little more cleaning before real winter.  The oregano from the deteriorated table top bed will be potted and set in this area where it can't do any harm. Razz Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Garde103

Last, but not least, the winter Swiss chard and broccoli covered with tulle and the replacement table top bed in progress. The bed is about 4" narrower than the original so I will have to modify the drip system.  The PVC frame also had to be trimmed to fit the new size. Yes,that's fluffed peat moss on top of the Mel's Mix, waiting to be turned in.  After a few years, the MM becomes basically heavy with all compost with smaller pieces of vermiculite.  So, instead of throwing away the MM and making new MM, like has been recommended, I try to reestablish the 1/3 1/3 1/3 balance by adding an inch of fluffed peat moss and an inch of coarse vermiculite after 6-7 years. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Garde104

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Empty Garlic, Cement Board, etc.

Post  donnainzone5 12/5/2021, 1:38 pm

Sanderson,

How have you been doing?  Was your Thanksgiving a pleasant one?

Could I use cement blocks as you have with drilled cement board on top, then a regular wooden bed?  I think that might be a good solution to my bed replacement problem.

Thanks in advance.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/5/2021, 7:45 pm

sanderson wrote:

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_50

Allright Sanderson.  Another question.  I am getting ready to replace some of my older beds and going to exclusively use 2 x 8 size beds.  This time I want to use the PVC structure you have on this bed.  I understand all of the pieces except the one in the middle of the bed that is supporting the top rail.  I can't figure out that one.  Also is the top rail approximately 8' PVC pipe or approximately two  4' pieces.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/6/2021, 7:33 am

yolos wrote:
sanderson wrote:

I understand all of the pieces except the one in the middle of the bed that is supporting the top rail.  I can't figure out that one.  Also is the top rail approximately 8' PVC pipe or approximately two  4' pieces.

Yolos, when I built mine, I used the 90-degree fittings from Lowe's (shown below).  The way I did it uses separate pieces of PVC pipe for the top rail, cut to length.

90-Degree Side Outlet PVC Pipe FittingSanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Side_o10

90-Degree Double Side Outlet PVC Pipe FittingSanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Pvc_4-10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4519

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/6/2021, 2:06 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
yolos wrote:
sanderson wrote:

I understand all of the pieces except the one in the middle of the bed that is supporting the top rail.  I can't figure out that one.  Also is the top rail approximately 8' PVC pipe or approximately two  4' pieces.

Yolos, when I built mine, I used the 90-degree fittings from Lowe's (shown below).  The way I did it uses separate pieces of PVC pipe for the top rail, cut to length.

90-Degree Double Side Outlet PVC Pipe FittingSanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Pvc_4-10
Thanks OG.  I can see it now.  This was the piece I was having a problem imagining.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/6/2021, 9:39 pm

Yolos, I see you figured out the top center fitting.  When I first started building the various gable-roof frames, I had to really think things through - no distractions.   There are two pieces of PVC for the top rail (approx. 4').

Donna, Thanksgiving was just the 2 of us.  Plans fell apart because of the common cold in the family!   Razz  Not covid, but the common cold!  Health-wise, pain is down to a Tylenol at bedtime, and I'm getting proficient with my limp.  Razz  I see the surgeon in January and will see what he thinks.  I am grateful that I can drive again, and limp or not, I am able to live again.

Regarding using the cement board, I'm leery of drilling drainage holes in it for the table tops.  I don't know if it would hasten the deterioration.  For the bed on the  ground, there were no holes and the water seeped out the sides between the bottom and sides.  The experiment of the cement board (pieced with red tape) was to exclude invasive roots. We will get to that bed soon and I'll update the condition of the board after 20+ months. The new TT bed in the photos shows that I have 2 layers of cement board with a sheet of plastic on top.  The water will travel along the plastic and drain out between the plastic and the sides of the bed.

Plywood is so expensive now so it was a no brainer to go with cement board.  OSB, even 3/4" thickness is also affordable but if I used it, I would definitely top with a 4 mil layer of plastic to keep it dry. I'm cautious with the weight bearing on the cement board and I limit the span between the cement blocks. A 2' span in both directions for plywood but closer to 1' for drywall. It may turn out that with a protective layer of 4 mil plastic, the 2-way 2-foot span may work out.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/15/2021, 6:08 pm

It's almost Christmas and the strawberry bed is decorating with red!  I'll have a lot of thinning to do come spring.  They survived transplanting and the scorching summer.  
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Strawb10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/11/2022, 4:37 pm

Sanderson, some where in this forum you asked me about growing potatoes (reg potato or sweet potato - can't remember which).  Here is a video for growing regular potatoes in 5 gallon buckets and also one (if I can find it) growing sweet potatoes in larger containers.

Regular Potatoes in 5 gal containers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThePQs6kDpo&ab_channel=HollisandNancysHomestead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH6ATJmVfxQ&ab_channel=HollisandNancysHomestead

Sweet Potatoes in large containers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPGqyDP8zRk&ab_channel=HollisandNancysHomestead
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/12/2022, 12:26 am

Thank you, Yolos. Hope to watch them tomorrow.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/13/2022, 8:26 pm

Now that it's obvious that I won't be gardening on the ground, we (he) are raising this experimental bed up to 2'.  The good news is that the "cementy" cement board held up well!  I was afraid is would be all crumbly but it can be picked up by a short edge and it's still sturdy.

Summary, placing cement board on the ground first and then the bed, does work.  That should prevent roots from invading the bed from the bottom.

March 2020:  Getting ready to replace the 2' x 8' table top bed due to rotting bottom.
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_70

March 20, 2020:  New bed with experimental bottom of cement" cement board.
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_72

March 20, 2020: New bed finished.
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_71

February 13, 2022:  Removing Mel's Mix to rebuild the bed, again!
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_73

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_74

February 13, 2022:  Using the cement board as a level starting point for the cement block "legs."
Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_75

And, these are the 2 new raised beds on the east side of the house.  The sun shade protects the beans from reflective and radiant heat due to the stucco and windows. I still have to add 2 more rows of trellis netting to the back bed. Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_77

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

OhioGardener, Scorpio Rising and markqz like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 2/14/2022, 11:39 am

How was the cement board in terms of drainage? It might be a good way to block bermuda grass, which, like life, finds a way.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2022, 5:54 pm

Drainage was fine. The water seeps out at the junction of the wood frames/cement board.

Regarding Bermuda grass and other impossible creeping plants (other states), as long as the entire bed is set within the edges of cement board foot print, it should work perfectly, as long as the seams are taped. Ken used red tape for that. Nasty, sticky all-purpose duct tape should also work. In fact, I would extend the the cement board a couple inches out like a skirt. That way you can see when it's creeping towards the frame. get that pesky wabbi

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2022, 6:09 pm

So far, 2022 has been good for me.  After the surgery for the L5-S1 synovial cyst 7-12-21, I still had some paralysis and an off-center gait.  Physical therapy has really helped with evening up the gait and overall functionality.

After getting the house tented the end of January, it was time to start the seedlings.  Since working at ground level is a challenge, I modified the seed set-up to be on top of the formal dining room table.  I could move from chair to chair for tending.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Seedli40

Ken rebuilt some of the beds to get them off the ground for me.  This is a new 1'x3' bed for the walking onions.  This is the hottest part of the back yard with the sun reflecting off the sliding glass door.  The walking onions are the only thing that can survive there year around.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Onion_14

The 2'x8' bed had to be raised off the ground.  This bed is primarily for the Snow Fairy tomatoes  The 2'x4' bed at the left needed replacing due to the 3/4" plywood bottom rotting through.  It is one of the 2 herb/lettuce/radish/miscellaneous beds.  The 3.5' x 3.5' herb, etc. bed in the center of the photo needs to be replaced any day now.  It will be a 3'x4' bed up on cinder blocks.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_82

Feb 23, 2002, view from by patio chair.  Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Garde112

Same view April 1, 2022.  The Yukon Gold seed potato experiment was a great success.  I set out the summer plants mid March instead of April 1 because of the warm spring.
The Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Garde113

Another replaced bed due to rotting 3/4" plywood bottom that was built in 2014.  Eight years for a plywood bottom was pretty good.  The bed was 2'x4' but replaced with a 2'x3' bed so I could safely walk around it.  Wood chip mulch was subsequently added around the ground.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Table_83

Same bed 4-18-22 with cucumber starts and trellises reinstalled.Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Garde114

I need to stop at this time.  Hopefully, I can finish this updated this evening.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2022, 6:27 pm

Summer is officially here! Razz  The sun shades are going up and will stay until September.  I had to spray almost everything with either insecticidal soap or spinosad.  Every pest known to mankind has attacked the garden.

Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California - Page 9 Drough11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hip2B 6/8/2022, 6:13 am

I've enjoyed reading this thread Sanderson. You have really had a rough trot health-wise. I do hope that things continue to improve for you. I am glad that you are able to make modifications and amendments to allow you to continue your SFG passion. 
I am having to Google some of the vegetables I read about on the forum as they go by different common names here in Australia. I had never heard of walking onions until very recently.
What do you mean by BTE please?
Another one that I couldn't work out is Purple Podded Beans. Are these what we call Scarlet Runner Beans? (Phaseolus coccineus)?
Hip2B
Hip2B

Female Posts : 55
Location : Burnie, Tasmania, Australia (Cool Climate / Zone 9)

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/8/2022, 4:22 pm

BTE is Back to Eden.  It's a different method of dirt gardening, not supported by the SFG Foundation of course.  I had a 1'x50' strip of worthless dirt that I couldn't use for SFG (no way to build a skinny bed on it)  Razz .  Some of us have auxiliary gardens along with our SFG beds.

Purple Podded beans are a variety of "green beans" with royal purple hulls.  Not the same as Scarlet Runner. https://www.heirloomseedsolutions.com/product/purple-podded-pole/

Just for fun, you can browse this seed company that many of us have bought from some time or another. https://www.rareseeds.com/

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Hip2B 6/8/2022, 5:37 pm

Thanks for that Sanderson. I will have a browse. I am interested in your Snow Fairy tomatoes too. I've had a bit of a look and don't think I can get them here but I've written them down in case I ever come across them. I'll also try to find out about back to eden to expand my horizons Smile
Hip2B
Hip2B

Female Posts : 55
Location : Burnie, Tasmania, Australia (Cool Climate / Zone 9)

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/9/2022, 4:04 pm

Purple podded pole beans are pretty, have pink blooms, and are easier to see for picking!  I like them.  I have grown Blauhilde before.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

donnainzone5, sanderson and Hip2B like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next