Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Big Tomato - Page 2 Toplef10Big Tomato - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Big Tomato - Page 2 I22gcj10Big Tomato - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Big Tomato - Page 2 Toplef10Big Tomato - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Big Tomato - Page 2 I22gcj10Big Tomato - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Big Tomato

+9
sanderson
Kelejan
plantoid
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
landarch
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
llama momma
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Big Tomato - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Tomato

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/9/2017, 8:55 am

Hammock Gal - I was trying to say: Close enough! Smile  

SR - Taste was excellent! I'll grow these again. Even with the splitting and cat-facing these did better than some other varieties. Yes, some of my tomatoes rotted on the vine this year. There was one - not sure which type - that I tried to pick and the outside came off, but the gooey inside gel and seeds was still attached to the stem! Eeeuw.

Oxheart has also been nice, though those didn't get as big as I expected...but they got in late due to poor planning (put them in after the peas that take the longest to mature instead of the quickest Mad I definitely didn't think that through!).

Which Brandywine do you have? I've read the name/type is a bit muddled. My plants have potato leaves, and the maters are (were...) pink and big - I'd guess a little over a pound a piece, but the rot and slugs got most of them. I salvaged part of one, and while the flavor was good, and the texture, but it wasn't mind-blowing. I'd heard they were pretty good, so I was wondering if it's the weather, or if I have the 'wrong' Brandywine - or just different tomato taste preferences.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/9/2017, 10:03 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Big Tomato - Page 2 Img_3822Hammock Gal - I was trying to say: Close enough! Smile  

SR - Taste was excellent! I'll grow these again. Even with the splitting and cat-facing these did better than some other varieties. Yes, some of my tomatoes rotted on the vine this year. There was one - not sure which type - that I tried to pick and the outside came off, but the gooey inside gel and seeds was still attached to the stem! Eeeuw.

Oxheart has also been nice, though those didn't get as big as I expected...but they got in late due to poor planning (put them in after the peas that take the longest to mature instead of the quickest Mad I definitely didn't think that through!).

Which Brandywine do you have? I've read the name/type is a bit muddled. My plants have potato leaves, and the maters are (were...) pink and big - I'd guess a little over a pound a piece, but the rot and slugs got most of them. I salvaged part of one, and while the flavor was good, and the texture, but it wasn't mind-blowing. I'd heard they were pretty good, so I was wondering if it's the weather, or if I have the 'wrong' Brandywine - or just different tomato taste preferences.
I went out and got these after seeing your post!  Laughing I will be starting them in early February.
Any suggestions or advice?
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/9/2017, 3:57 pm

brianj555 wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Big Tomato - Page 2 Img_3822SR - Taste was excellent! I'll grow these again. Even with the splitting and cat-facing these did better than some other varieties.
I went out and got these after seeing your post!  Laughing I will be starting them in early February.
I was about to object to February being too soon, but you're 3-4 zones from me, and can probably get your tomatoes out much earlier. I had no problem starting this variety; start as you would any other tomato - for me that's indoors, under grow lights, with light bottom heat. I soaked my seeds for 2 hours before sowing them, but it's not a necessary step ...and it makes them slippery and hard to work with.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/9/2017, 6:16 pm

My favorite Big Tomato is Cherokee Purple. They are just the tastiest tomato ever. Second is Big Beef. Third is Cour di Bue, an Italian heirloom oxheart, it is a sauce tomato and excells when roasted and canned.
I did once try Pink Brandywine. It was not very prolific and the taste was 'meh'. I was not sure if it was the year, my yard, me personally, or what.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/10/2017, 10:10 pm

Brian, I'm Zone 9, a little north of your latitude. I start summer seedlings indoors in late Feb-early March. We had a long, rainy, cool spring so I was late planting out the seedlings. Some years, the spring is warm and the ground is warm earlier. It's hard to pick the perfect date seed because Mother Nature is a prankster. Just be prepared to up-pot and take them out on warmer, sunny days if you can't plant them when you thought you could. Early Feb may be the better date for you to start the seedlings.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/11/2017, 6:53 pm

sanderson wrote:Brian,  I'm Zone 9, a little north of your latitude.  I start summer seedlings indoors in late Feb-early March.  We had a long, rainy, cool spring so I was late planting out the seedlings.  Some years, the spring is warm and the ground is warm earlier.  It's hard to pick the perfect date seed because Mother Nature is a prankster.  Just be prepared to up-pot and take them out on warmer, sunny days if you can't plant them when you thought you could.  Early Feb may be the better date for you to start the seedlings.
Yeah.  According to my extension, projected last frost date is 3/17.  ( I'm 9b coastal)I guess I might need to consider starting the tomatoes a little later just in case.  I will have 80 squares ready and will be using about 20 or 25 (at least ) for tomatoes.  My grandfather, who passed away a few years ago, planted a substantial tomato crop (tradition row) and basically kept the whole family (20+ people locally) in garden fresh tomatoes for about three months each year.  We haven't had anyone growing anything since he passed and I have become the sole Gardener.  I hope to be able to grow enough to share , if only a little here and there.  Anyway, I said all that to say that since I will have so many plants, I really don't want to have to do a lot of up potting and moving in and out as that would become cumbersome.  So I guess if I start them a little later, the need for up potting and the chance of the transplants dying from a late frost will be reduced.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/11/2017, 8:19 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
brianj555 wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Big Tomato - Page 2 Img_3822SR - Taste was excellent! I'll grow these again. Even with the splitting and cat-facing these did better than some other varieties.
I was about to object to February being too soon, but you're 3-4 zones from me, and can probably get your tomatoes out much earlier. I had no problem starting this variety; start as you would any other tomato - for me that's indoors, under grow lights, with light bottom heat. I soaked my seeds for 2 hours before sowing them, but it's not a necessary step ...and it makes them slippery and hard to work with.
You are gonna fall in love.....but timing.  Ask a person from your region!  The best BLT in your life!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2