Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England, July 2016 Toplef10New England, July 2016 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England, July 2016 I22gcj10New England, July 2016 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England, July 2016 Toplef10New England, July 2016 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England, July 2016 I22gcj10New England, July 2016 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, July 2016

+10
Ginger Blue
yolos
sanderson
quiltbea
camprn
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
bigdogrock
Windmere
CapeCoddess
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

New England, July 2016 Empty New England, July 2016

Post  CapeCoddess 7/2/2016, 2:15 pm

Happy Fourth of July weekend, New England! The warm weather has finally hit the Cape as it does around this time every year. The cucumber's now have more than two leaves as do the squash. The tomatoes are real troopers and getting huge.

It's also a plentiful harvest month. I'm starting to blanch and freeze collards, kale, chard and beet greens, as I'm bringing them in by the baskets full.
New England, July 2016 Img_2031
New England, July 2016 Img_2032

The Scarlet runner beans and Kentucky pole beans are climbing the trellises.  Lettuces are mostly bolted except for some Grand Rapids that are hiding under some kale.  I can still eat most of them though as they are not bitter. New England, July 2016 Img_2035

The sugar snap peas almost finished, but we can still munch on a few while out gardening. Same with the strawberries . I'll be cutting the peas down probably next weekend. New England, July 2016 Img_2034
Ended up with 1 1/2 bags frzn berries.
What a Face

The beets are delicious. See my avatar.
Lots of garlic scapes still waiting to be picked as I planted dozens of garlic in the spring around the fruit trees and amongst the hostas to ward of slugs. It didn't work. Rolling Eyes

What's happening in your garden?

Last edited by CapeCoddess on 7/2/2016, 2:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

New England, July 2016 Empty Re: New England, July 2016

Post  Windmere 7/2/2016, 2:38 pm

Mmmmm.... Looking really good CC!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 7/2/2016, 5:55 pm

I haven't put much out lately, I got a summer cold/flu/crud/allergy/blah or whatever you want to call it. I have been in bed, not much else unless I had to do something. My wonderful daughter watered for me, talk about a real life saver. I missed the high point of my purple clematis, they are all but gone by, but I bet they were excellent.
I was pleased to smell and see the Mock Orange bushes, they smell heavenly, and the flowers are gorgeous. I just happened to be lucky enough to catch the Swallow tail in the pic.
New England, July 2016 Mock_o12

I have a bunch of new stuff to share, but have to get some things done. I wll be writing soon. Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/2/2016, 6:42 pm

Oh, Rock -- that pic is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. I love you

This is our first year for mock orange and it didn't smell at all -- very disappointing. Maybe next year -- it's still just a baby. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 7/2/2016, 6:50 pm

thanks You made my day Suz, thank you. I wish I could send you the aroma, I am sure it will be one in heaven, right along with fresh bread, chocolate, mint, and vanilla. Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/2/2016, 9:22 pm

Great pic, Rock! So glad to see that gorgeous butterfly enjoying a snack! My milkweed as bloomed, but the bumbles are the only thing I have seen on it!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/3/2016, 11:09 am

Garden chores for July. 

http://awaytogarden.com/july-garden-chores

http://awaytogarden.com/declaring-it-throw-in-the-trowel-week/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New England, July 2016 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/3/2016, 11:28 am

camprn wrote:Garden chores for July. 

http://awaytogarden.com/july-garden-chores

http://awaytogarden.com/declaring-it-throw-in-the-trowel-week/

Love that first one. I can relate!

After reading this I pulled out my sugar snap peas (after eating the last 6) and will now be planting Melting Sugar Snow Peas, a new one for me.  Not sure if it's too early but it's an experiment.

What a perfect summer day here!!!
I love you

Country, hang in there with the mock orange.  Mine didn't smell the first year then smelled retched the next, but this year it's lovely...and right outside my open bedroom window!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/3/2016, 6:41 pm

Oooooh, I just love the pictures of the veggies.  Thank you gardeners.
I'm missing my veggie garden this year.  The flowers have been lovely tho and the asparagus was divine.  It pays to grow your own.
Enjoy gardeners.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/3/2016, 7:09 pm

quiltbea wrote:Oooooh, I just love the pictures of the veggies.  Thank you gardeners.
I'm missing my veggie garden this year.  The flowers have been lovely tho and the asparagus was divine.  It pays to grow your own.
Enjoy gardeners.

QUILTBEA! Hey! My next bed is Paramus. Then strawberries. happy hi
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2016, 12:29 am

QB, happy hi

Rock, Time to shake off this crud/cold. Bless your daughter for helping out.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/6/2016, 2:41 pm

Crud it's HOT!  90.9 a few minutes ago at my house, and I'm not there to cover the maters.  Oh well, bet the peppers, squash and cukes are loving it!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 7/6/2016, 10:12 pm

I am still rebounding from that summer flu, energy is in short supply. It was all I could do to water yesterday. I did start a trellis for my green beans two days ago, everything is made from materials I have around the property. I ran the strings for the pole beans to climb and they did, fast, 21 inches in two days!. I will get a pic out soon.
I found and squashed the first Japanese Beetle Monday. Now I will break out the jar and put some dish soap to drown them in.
The heat and sunlight are kicking the plants in gear and they are taking off. I just have to keep up the watering. We did get 1 1/2" of rain last Thursday night! Not a lot of thunder, but plenty of lightning and rain. Not much wind either.
Today was hot! 96 with humidity in the high 70s. Tomorrow is supposed to be a little cooler, we will see. I am finally starting to feel up to snuff, summer flu sucks.
My beets are finally starting to grow-they get my standing ovation! Everything is doing well except the lettuce. I don't have a pic, but I had a moose and a bear in the yard, they stayed out of the garden. If it isn't the turkeys...
I will be putting up another trellis tomorrow, for the cucs, they are loving the heat.
Time for a shower and then to bed. Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/7/2016, 11:44 am

happy hi  QB!  Nice of you stop by!  We miss you, and your wisdom.

So glad you're on the mend, Rock.  Being down yet knowing you have things to do can be so hard sometimes.  Whenever I feel something coming on I smash a clove of garlic, from my SFG of course, and swallow it like a gold fish every 2 hours or so.  Knocks whatever thought it might like to live with me for a while right out of the ball park.
Wink  
I started some lettuce - Marvel and Grand Rapid - and some Burpless Beauty cukes inside today.  Yesterday I planted out a trellis row of Sugar Snap peas & a couple of Dunja zuke seeds.  I know I say I'll never do zucchini again, but then I always think I can thwart the SVB THIS YEAR and I plant again.   Rolling Eyes   Then I pulled up all the lettuces except the Rouge d' Hiver since it still tastes fine when bolted.  Filled my weekly lettuce box right up to bulging.

I also keep thinking the asparagus is done but then more fat ones come up.  Ate 4 for dins last night chopped up into in my salad. YUM! I like them raw better than cooked.

Hey rest of New England...hows about some photos of your gardens?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 7/7/2016, 8:25 pm

Today was not as hot as yesterday, but the humidity was still up there. It made it hard to have any kind of enthusiasm for the garden. I wanted to finish the trellis for the cucs, but I only got the vertical poles with a brace to each one done. Since I am so frugal, another name for CHEAP, I like to use the materials I have here at the house. So I have made some sturdy trellis out of oak, ash, and maple saplings. I will have pics when I get it done. The heat made everything a chore in the sun, so I will finish it tomorrow. Besides, I noticed a big rise in the number of grass hoppers. I was thinking of John P in Colorado, I feel bad for him. There were maybe 50 or so and I was wondering if I was going to have a problem. It just added to the oppressive heat, so I had to call it quits and get ready to go to town.  After I got back in the house, while getting caught up on things needed to be done on the computer, before I went to town, I noticed the turkeys all around my gardens. I counted 5 big hens and about a dozen melon sized chicks. At first I thought they had found a spot IN MY GARDEN again to dust themselves off. They were not dusting though, they came to the "Turkey fast food parlor", they were catching the fast food. I think they stayed until EVERY grass hopper was gone, or lunch so to speak. SO, maybe I won't be tripping them any more. I see they had made a dust bath a short distance from the garden, and I am going to make sure it stays there for them to use. Now I am inviting them back...  I could not find a single hopper after they left.
I would have finished the trellis tonight but we are getting a much needed rain from the chain of storms the radar is showing me. All the girls went in early, so I closed the coup, then closed up the barn. I might even watch TV tonight. Right now it is 8:10PM, and after round 3 of the storms, we have 1/2" of rain, no gully washers yet, but there are more cells coming at us.
My best wishes and prayers go out to JohnP, that is tough stuff he is up against.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/7/2016, 8:40 pm

We haven't had an inch of rain since April. I keep hoping it will rain, but the storms seem to part and miss us altogether.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

New England, July 2016 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 7/7/2016, 9:02 pm

Hey Camp, not sure about your neck of the woods, but we are about to get a "Round 4" in the next hour or so. The radar shows another small one behind it, that was like this one, small, but it built up as it came towards us. We'll see. We all ready have 1/2", hope we don't get a wash out. Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/9/2016, 11:37 am

It rained very little overnight.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 7/9/2016, 12:29 pm

We ended up getting a half inch on Thursday night, and it has drizzled and rained off and on since yesterday afternoon a total of .3 of an inch. Everything is getting a nice gentle soaking. I can't say the chickens care for this, but they come out from under the cover of the bushes to chase down snacks occasionally. I have been putting them in early, at their request . I am glad I got the "touch-up" weeding done yesterday, the weeds would have taken off with all this.
I have my garden bucket (a green five gallon bucket that has a good handle, it holds most of the things I need when I go out to the gardens away from the house, like a trowels, scissors, string, etc.) at the ready if there is a break in the drizzle soup today. Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/9/2016, 1:11 pm

No rain for us until maybe tomorrow, a third of an inch expected. After mowing the Meadow plants growing between the dormant lawn I headed over to the SFG to check things out.

Todays photos for QB...
Protected Green Box. The slugs are coming up from underneath to have a little nosh but that's okay because there's enough for all of us. New England, July 2016 Img_2040

The sugar snow peas sprouted but I see that the pill bugs are after them so I sprinked DE. New England, July 2016 Img_2038

The Yukon Gold potatoes are dying, Pak choi seeds are about ready to harvest  and the red onions are leaning over.New England, July 2016 Img_2039

I covered a crookneck squash with netting to help protect it from SVB... I hope.New England, July 2016 Img_2043

Garlic is 3 leaves dead. New England, July 2016 Img_2041

Blue Lake bush beans are flowering.New England, July 2016 Img_2044

Cherry tomatoes have lots of blossoms and fruit. Sun gold is blushing up. Yea! New England, July 2016 Img_2045
New England, July 2016 Img_2042

Cukes and tromboncini are having a growth spurt from hot weather last week.New England, July 2016 Img_2047

As always the banana pepper in the pot on the back patio is starting to flower long before the other peppers in the sfg have even grown at all. I swear my backyard is a different zone.New England, July 2016 Img_2046

Gilbertie's are forming. No fruit on the experimental direct seeded Roma yet.
New England, July 2016 Img_2049

Last edited by CapeCoddess on 7/9/2016, 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 7/9/2016, 1:23 pm

Nice pics CC! you rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/9/2016, 2:15 pm

Beautiful CC.  Let me know if the netting on the bottom of the squash works.  I just pulled my 4 summer squash because of SVB.  I guess I did not get the tulle up before the eggs were laid on the stems.  The SVB's visited my garden early this year.  Next year I will put the tulle up when they are planted.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/9/2016, 2:49 pm

Nice, CC!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 7/9/2016, 4:05 pm

Beautiful CC, just beautiful!  A dose of pure inspiration...  way to go praise
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/9/2016, 5:46 pm

yolos wrote:Beautiful CC.  Let me know if the netting on the bottom of the squash works.  I just pulled my 4 summer squash because of SVB.  I guess I did not get the tulle up before the eggs were laid on the stems.  The SVB's visited my garden early this year.  Next year I will put the tulle up when they are planted.

Grrrrrr... it's so aggravating when they get hit. Mark your calendar! I marked mine but didn't get the netting up in time either so it may be too late for me also. I think I should have put mine up mid June. We'll see.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next