Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - What kind of critter would do this.? Toplef10critter - What kind of critter would do this.? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - What kind of critter would do this.? I22gcj10critter - What kind of critter would do this.? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
critter - What kind of critter would do this.? Toplef10critter - What kind of critter would do this.? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

critter - What kind of critter would do this.? I22gcj10critter - What kind of critter would do this.? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 10:20 am

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What kind of critter would do this.?

+10
CitizenKate
AtlantaMarie
camprn
sanderson
donnainzone5
landarch
CapeCoddess
plantoid
Kelejan
MrBooker
14 posters

Go down

critter - What kind of critter would do this.? Empty What kind of critter would do this.?

Post  MrBooker 3/25/2016, 6:33 am

I got my 4x8 SFG box built and filled with soil and watered and let it set for about a week then planted onion transplants in 4 squares. Next morning I went out to find a critter of some sort had totally destroyed the 4 squares where the onions were planted.
                 I don't mean the critter just dug a hole, it dug all the way to the bottom of the 8 inch bed and slung all of the dirt out and scattered my onions 3 to 4 feet away from the 4x8 box. I added more soil and replanted the onions.
This time I soaked some downy sheets with Pinesol and laid them next to the box. I knew the Pinsol would keep the cats away.
               Next night, same thing. The critter came back and destroyed the onion bed. Now, I'm almost sure it was NOT a cat. A cat only scratches the top few inches. A squirrel would not have dug all of the soil out of 4 squares.

I live in a small farming community but we have a leash law here in town so I dont think it was a dog. I've lived here for 32 years and have seen skunks, coons, foxes and coyote's here in town. One of them may be the culprit but I'm not sure. What I AM sure of, it won't happen again. I bought 50 ft of the orange construction fence and laid over the SFG box.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

critter - What kind of critter would do this.? Empty Re: What kind of critter would do this.?

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2016, 6:57 am

How sad, Mr. Booker after all your hard work.  I hope some other forum member can come up with an answer.

glad you\'re here to our Forum happy hi
and may I get in a premature HAPPY BIRTHDAY on the 29th?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

critter - What kind of critter would do this.? Empty Re: What kind of critter would do this.?

Post  plantoid 3/25/2016, 7:18 am

Sounds like groundhog day has arrived in your back forty acres . Laughing

Squirrels can and do wreck gardens , much more than most people think .

Rabbits , Gerbils rats , hamsters & other small cage pet escapees also are quite good at wrecking them .

Going down in damaged area sizes :-

Crows often delight in pecking out onion sets . I've shot many a one as they walked along the old row gardens I had on my small holding .
The hole is about three inches deep and an inch & a half  wide at the surface.

Pigeons & other birds also have an annoying habit of finding a nice bit of fresh young green shoot to eat & as a result they often pull the whole onion out , whilst having their breakfast just after first light .

You also often get tiny field mice or big fat slugs  digging down to the roots , I'm not sure if they are after the roots or looking to bide or are after the worms etc.

Some old timers swear that it is worms pushing the onions out but I've never found any worms big enough for that  in my fifty five years of gardening.

Next time you find damage carefully remove the soil away from the sides of the hole to see if you can glean any further information then if it is still there pull the plant up and check the roots for damage .. it may be that there is a simple deterrent you can put in the planting hole or if it is birds set a lot of black sewing cotton on stick that are showing 6 to 8 inches apove the ground .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/25/2016, 7:24 am

Kelejan wrote:How sad, Mr. Booker after all your hard work.  I hope some other forum member can come up with an answer.

glad you\'re here to our Forum happy hi
and may I get in a premature HAPPY BIRTHDAY on the 29th?
Thank you for the happy birthday. critter - What kind of critter would do this.? 3170584802
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/25/2016, 7:26 am

plantoid wrote:Sounds like groundhog day has arrived in your back forty acres . Laughing

Squirrels can and do wreck gardens , much more than most people think .

Rabbits , Gerbils rats , hamsters & other small cage pet escapees also are quite good at wrecking them .

Going down in damaged area sizes :-

Crows often delight in pecking out onion sets . I've shot many a one as they walked along the old row gardens I had on my small holding .
The hole is about three inches deep and an inch & a half  wide at the surface.

Pigeons & other birds also have an annoying habit of finding a nice bit of fresh young green shoot to eat & as a result they often pull the whole onion out , whilst having their breakfast just after first light .

You also often get tiny field mice or big fat slugs  digging down to the roots , I'm not sure if they are after the roots or looking to bide or are after the worms etc.

Some old timers swear that it is worms pushing the onions out but I've never found any worms big enough for that  in my fifty five years of gardening.

Next time you find damage carefully remove the soil away from the sides of the hole to see if you can glean any further information then if it is still there pull the plant up and check the roots for damage .. it may be that there is a simple deterrent you can put in the planting hole or if it is birds set a lot of black sewing cotton on stick that are showing 6 to 8 inches apove the ground .
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

critter - What kind of critter would do this.? Empty Never thought about a groundhog.

Post  MrBooker 3/25/2016, 7:38 am

Although my area of town is infested with squirrels, I would have to rule them out. Their was way to much dirt for a squirrel to dig out. Maybe there was something in the compost that smelled like food to the critter.
     I had head lettuce and spinach planted next to the onions that were dug out but it didnt bother them.
              Its getting daylight here now and I'm going out to investigate (with my pellet gun)   lol
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/25/2016, 11:11 am

If everyone is obeying the leash law, then I'm voting fox. They LOVE digging holes, deep ones! I watch them on the lake beach across the street in the sand having a ball jumping in and out of those holes.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/25/2016, 11:43 am

do you have any friends that hunt and can put up a trail cam?
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/25/2016, 12:05 pm

CC,

Thus, the origin of the term "fox hole."
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2016, 2:24 pm

Very mysterious. I'm watching this. Foxes? Wow!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2016, 3:06 pm

Lay some chicken wire over the top.of the bed for a temporary fix.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

critter - What kind of critter would do this.? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/25/2016, 4:04 pm

Oh, dear... Yes, I agree w/ Camprn! Put some fencing to protect them...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/25/2016, 9:37 pm

I agree with those who suggest protecting your beds with fencing or cages of some kind.  Easy and effective.  But I thought of you today when I was at Menard's getting some drip irrigation tubing.  Orbit has a new product called a Yard Enforcer.  Check this out...

CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/25/2016, 9:44 pm

Racoon.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/25/2016, 10:51 pm

Racoon, skunk, or possum...Check to see if you have grubs, These critter smell grubs deep down under and will dig like crazy to get them.  Forget about going out in the morning with your pelet gun, they won't be there, you gotta stay up all night, and that night they probably wont be around...Trail cam is a good idea, works automaticallly, and some can send images to your hard drive.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/25/2016, 11:03 pm

Raccoons, skunks and opossums rip into my garden regularly.  Yep, I've got grubs.  Grubs in my raised boxes. Grubs in my containers.  Grubs under my wood chips everywhere.  Grubs in my compost.

I thought of those three too, but crossed them off based on the OP's comment that the critter returned and re-dug the same hole the second night.  

I've been multi-night raided, but don't recall them redigging the same hole.  Same bed, same area, but not literally the same square let alone the same four continguous squares.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/26/2016, 6:28 am

CitizenKate wrote:I agree with those who suggest protecting your beds with fencing or cages of some kind.  Easy and effective.  But I thought of you today when I was at Menard's getting some drip irrigation tubing.  Orbit has a new product called a Yard Enforcer.  Check this out...
      THANKS CITIZENKATE:  You know, I watched that video 6 times and each time, it got funnier and funnier then it struck me.  I could install the "yard Enforcer" in my lettuce bed and NOT tell my wife then ask her to go cut some lettuce. Of course their would be a video. Very Happy

MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

critter - What kind of critter would do this.? Empty Chicken wire

Post  MrBooker 3/26/2016, 6:41 am

camprn wrote:Lay some chicken wire over the top.of the bed for a temporary fix.
After the critter came back the 2nd night, I bought some of the orange plastic construction fencing and layed it over the beds with a few bricks on top. Problem solved.  (so far)
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2016, 2:17 pm

This is a little off topic, because I know the critter of which I'm having a problem - my neighbor's cat, if not everyone in the neighborhood. I placed ramial chips under the orange tree and now I can't even work on the tree without stepping on a land mine. So, today I am removing and disposing all of it, and replacing with the zylosma leaves and small branches I pruned yesterday. Then covering with bird netting, maybe some cardboard. Yucky day ahead. If you don't hear from me, it's because the bird netting got me.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/26/2016, 11:20 pm

MrBooker wrote:THANKS CITIZENKATE:  You know, I watched that video 6 times and each time, it got funnier and funnier then it struck me.  I could install the "yard Enforcer" in my lettuce bed and NOT tell my wife then ask her to go cut some lettuce. Of course their would be a video. Very Happy
 rofl   critter - What kind of critter would do this.? 931411784   funny post
Depending on when you do that, there might not be a Happy Birthday in your future.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/26/2016, 11:21 pm

sanderson wrote:...I can't even work on the tree without stepping on a land mine...
critter - What kind of critter would do this.? 3555472862  critter - What kind of critter would do this.? 931411784
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down