Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? Toplef10Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? I22gcj10Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? Toplef10Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? I22gcj10Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Double transplanting of strawberries - advice?

+2
Scorpio Rising
martha
6 posters

Go down

Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? Empty Double transplanting of strawberries - advice?

Post  martha 11/1/2015, 10:42 am

Howdy, strangers! Oh, wait, it's me that's never here, never calls, never writes!

So here's my less than ideal situation. As a few of you will remember from when I used to be here on a regular basis, I used to own a restaurant. It was sold a year ago, and at that time, I moved my strawberries from the restaurant to a friend's house, SFG boxes, Mel's Mix and all. Yesterday, I moved them from her house, but I won't be able to install SFG boxes until spring.

Right now they are in a bucket. My plan is to put them into wooden barrels, that have old Mel's Mix, overcrowding them, and then re-transplant them in the spring when I can put them into their next, hopefully permanent homes. (Poor little transients! Although they are happy little plants, at least so far!)

In order to help them survive the winter, I should surround the barrels with something like straw, but I don't want to invite all the local rodents in. I'm thinking about maybe surrounding the barrels with bags of compost that I'll need for next year's boxes. (I had gorgeous compost piles at the restaurant, but had to leave them behind. Sad )

Comments, suggestions, ideas?

I know that worst case, if they don't make it, I can start over. It didn't take me long to go from a few plants to this as a one day's harvest Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? One_da12

I know, I know, those of you who've been around since I used to be around have seen this photo a million times! I admit it, I'm proud of it! Any excuse to post that photo makes me happy. And it made me ridiculously happy to work with my little strawberry plants yesterday. DH is very tolerant when I tell him how happy it made me, but you folks actually get it!

Anyway, advice, suggestions, thoughts?  Thanks!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? Empty Re: Double transplanting of strawberries - advice?

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/1/2015, 10:55 am

Hi, martha! I think the idea of placing the bags of compost around the containers with the strawberry transplants is a win-win! You get the insulation without the rodent habitat, and your compost is right there where you need it in the Spring! I say try it, but I am sure that lots of folks have more experience than I with strawberries.

BTW, your picture makes my mouth water, LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? Empty Re: Double transplanting of strawberries - advice?

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/2/2015, 8:20 am

Hi Martha!  Good to see you!!

I agree with SR.  I've found that plants are very resilient creatures...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/2/2015, 12:00 pm

That sounds like a great idea, Martha! And I do like that picture.

There are also big fabric bags that let you compost directly in them, that could serve much the same purpose, but the ones I have are a bit tall and you would have to move them if you want any sun on the beds.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/2/2015, 12:56 pm

What if you heel them in anywhere for now and pull them up once your box is built? You know those dang things grow like weeds here in NE.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Double transplanting of strawberries - advice? Empty strawberries

Post  kauairosina 11/2/2015, 1:36 pm

Oh Martha, I am green with envy.  My plants are currently quite happy and put out a few strawberries a day but nothing like your production.  I just keep at it.  The plants are quite vigorous and half of the strawberries get chewed on by some little critters under the straw.  More work to do. 

BTW - they are growing great in the aquaponics.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down