Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 Toplef10Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 I22gcj10Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 Toplef10Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 I22gcj10Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China

+12
Escaped Lunatic
Marc Iverson
TCgardening
plantoid
CapeCoddess
Windmere
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
walshevak
BeckieSueDalton
boffer
Goosegirl
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 Empty Re: Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China

Post  Escaped Lunatic 10/5/2015, 7:09 am

And now, for the report.

My other items didn't bother to sprout, but the beans grew.  Sometimes this type of bean vine can be trained up a trellis and needs to zig-zag to keep from going over the top.  Other times, it gives up after 1-2 meters.  I think the best of these got a little over 2 meters.  Not sure if it's something in the mix, the time of year, or what.

In any event, they started producing some nice, healthy looking beans at about the same time some beans in pots planted at the same time started producing (bean plants in pots averaged only slightly longer vines).  Overall, the plants in the box were more productive.

Sadly, exact figures were thrown off by the interference of the local rodent population.  I think they overheard me telling my wife I was going to start picking the beans the next day.  The next day, half the beans were nibbled on.  I got as many undamaged ones as I could and composted all those which had been chewed on.  The rats took revenge on me for stealing "their" food and started attacking the bean plants.  First it was some leaves cut off.  Then one vine had a section one meter up and about a handspan wide cut through at the top and chewed on the bottom just enough to fall over.  Naturally, the upper part quickly and the rats kept removing leaves from the lower portion of the plant.  I knew rats could be vicious, but this was the sort of vindictive behavior I've only seen before in badly behaved humans. Shocked

I've already got one kind of rat poison.  I've got several others in mind.  I'm planning full scale chemical warfare for the next few months, along with a nice assortment of other surprises. Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 Bullets

Despite the rats, I'm pleased with the results. Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 3170584802 

If all goes according to plan, I'll be rolling out a few more garden boxes by spring while also trying to use a generous addition of Mel's Mix to improve the dirt in some of the existing pots.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Male Posts : 71

http://www.escapedlunatic.com

Back to top Go down

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 Empty Re: Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China

Post  sanderson 10/5/2015, 11:25 am

Lunatic, I was afraid you had escaped! Glad you checked back in. I had to laugh at your comparison to badly behaved people. The nature of rats makes it hard to kill them. First, they are wary of new things (poison). Second, if one bites the dust, the others learn and become bait shy. The best approach is to not have anything for them like shelter, water and food. Since this is a garden, we can toss that method. The best approach is rat-proofing the roof top or at least the garden area. 1/4" wire mesh caging of any kind would be the best, heavy stapled to a wood frame. Yes, they can chew through the wood so you would have to walk the perimeter checking out any gnawed areas. We are rooting for you!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/5/2015, 1:08 pm

Good luck with the rats, Lunatic. I used to keep a pet one, but know they can be unbelievably filthy and destructive wild. And they can squeeze their bodies through any space big enough for their heads -- kind of like an octopus! -- so keeping them out of anywhere they want to go is truly a nightmare job. Best of luck, again ... it is likely to take a major effort on multiple fronts.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/5/2015, 6:08 pm

Plinking session with a 22g. Nightly. And daily. Plink, plink....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/5/2015, 6:52 pm

LOL, SR!  Unfortunately, I don't think the Chinese gov't allows their citizens to own guns...  EL - am I correct?  If I'm wrong, I'd certainly go with SR's idea!!!!

BTW - what happened on the fridge?  Did they get it fixed?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 10/6/2015, 12:58 am

The fridge was returned.  Again, only 2 guys did it.

Rat proofing the roof would be very difficult.  There's a place were rats can stroll over from the next-door neighbor's roof without even jumping.  Even if I block that (not sure how), these things are incredibly acrobatic and houses in the village do things like running cables and pipes on the outside.  The main "commuter lines" for rats in the village are the power lines running along the backside of each row of houses.

Sadly, a real gun isn't an option (except maybe at a licensed target shooting range).  I've heard rumors of pellet guns being available.  Although I consider myself a decent shot, these things are fast, generally only come out in the dark, and close quarters shooting with brick walls means I've got a good chance of catching a ricocheted pellet in the face, so sniping them won't be my first choice.

Instead, it's going to be trap and poison city.  Maybe I'll put their heads on pikes (or chopsticks Smile) as a warning to others.  I also need to renew my correspondence with the guy on the village hygiene committee about other methods to discourage rodents.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/6/2015, 1:20 am

Escaped Lunatic wrote:The fridge was returned.  Again, only 2 guys did it.
Photo?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/6/2015, 2:11 am

Escaped Lunatic wrote:I also need to renew my correspondence with the guy on the village hygiene committee about other methods to discourage rodents.

Eat them!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 10/8/2015, 7:07 am

I just put the fridge return pic in the thread about all the compost material I got out of that disaster.

However, as long as I was at it, here's what was left after I removed the nibbled beans:

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 SFGExperiment1Beans

Today I noticed that several more plants have been chewed off at the level of the horizontal PVC pipe on the trellis (not a cut, but a section removed).  My angry rat isn't done punishing me for removing "his" food supply.

I am told that rat is on the "unofficial" menu at some restaurants in this area.  Considering the amount of rat poison spread around the village, someone would need to be very hungry to risk eating any of the ones here.
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/8/2015, 1:20 pm

There are plenty of stories out about eating rat in China, sometimes sold to the unknowing as chicken. I've read that many people will not eat the city rats due to poison and pollution issues, but will happily eat rats taken from the countryside.

Hey, meat is meat, I guess. And most anything that helps control rats is a good thing.

What's that saying, that I've heard Chinese themselves say? "If the sun shines on its back or it swims or.... something else..."--my memory is too vague here-- the Chinese will eat it. Basically that they'll eat anything.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 10/9/2015, 3:04 am

I've heard a few versions.  One I remember is something like "If it has 2 legs and isn't a person or if it has 4 legs and isn't a chair, Chinese people will eat it."

Rat is officially banned (at least locally).  I've never gotten the nerve to ask for it at the more traditional Guangdong restaurants.  I've gone to great extremes to avoid eating dog.  It's easier than you might think.  Chinese view dog meat as a delicacy, so it's very expensive.  Just don't pick any mystery meat dish that's at least twice the price of similar looking dishes and you'll be safe.

On the other hand, there's a place near here that serves donkey dumplings.  Those were surprisingly good.  Speaking of equine cuisine, On my honeymoon, I had noodle soup with some kind of meat  It turned out to be horse (of course, of course).  My wife didn't understand when I said "W-i-i-i-i-l-b-u-r.  P-u-u-t down the g-u-u-n. It’s n-o-o-o-t br-o-o-o-o-ken.  W-i-i-i-i-l-b-u-r, N-O-O-O-O-O!!!" Laughing

There's a Brazilian restaurant near downtown which offers camel meat (Why camel at a Brazilian place?  I've got no clue.), and I've had yak meat in Yunnan province.

(Small, yet shameless self-promotion here - you can read the whole honeymoon blog, complete with the encounter with horse noodle soup on my website.  Look under Lunatic Love and Romance in China.)
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/9/2015, 9:12 am

Horse meat...  Just remember that it can cause problems with tetanus shots....  At least if you eat it regularly.  

Camp - can you give us more info?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 10/10/2015, 11:02 pm

Ah joy.  I already know I'm allergic to horse-based rattlesnake antivenin, and that was long before horse noodle soup.  I'm about due for a tetanus booster, so I may have some new entertainment to look forward to. Shocked

Camp???

In an amazing coincidence, I just got a dinner invite to the Brazilian place.  Guess I'd walk a mile to eat a camel. Laughing

The first noticable cold front of the season just rolled through.  Maybe I can spend less time watering and more time messing with the soil mix in the pots (at least the ones where a tree isn't in the way).
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/11/2015, 1:30 am

A mile Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/12/2015, 8:38 pm

Camprn is one of our administrators.  She's a nurse, hence the "rn."  She'll know!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 Empty dongguan

Post  kauairosina 10/12/2015, 9:29 pm

Pretty funny -- not everyone would get it, but we are mostly oldsters here.  thanks for giggle.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 2/28/2016, 12:15 am

Egad, it's been awhile.

Let's see - some good news.  The evil rat which made a point of seeing how many of my plants it could destroy evidently died sometime while I was away in India.  Several of the pepper plants are attempting to recover.  The war on rats continues.

Redid my first pepper pot to be a mix of dirt and Mel's mix.  I need to head off to find some new seeds for it.

First experimental styrofoam container is now producing some tomatoes.  Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 3170584802

And, a few weeks ago, the impossible happened.  My beautiful tropical paradise got frost and even a few flakes of snow. Shocked
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/28/2016, 8:35 am

EL! SO good to hear from you!!!

Snow? Oh, dear....

Glad the rat's gone. (shivering & frowning) And I'm glad everything's starting to recover.

India? Pray tell.... Where, why, have fun?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/28/2016, 10:27 am

Nice to see you again, Lunatic. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/28/2016, 10:59 am

Hey there, EL! Glad you dropped in! Also good to hear the evil rat died, as well as the arrival of tomatoes! YUM! What kind of peppers you going to plant? I like mostly bell sweet types, but usually grow one jalapeño for salsa, stir fry, etc.

What are you going to grow this year? Glad your styrofoam containers are working out cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/28/2016, 1:10 pm

Hi, EL happy hi Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Escaped Lunatic 2/28/2016, 10:25 pm

Hey everyone!

I spent a few weeks training a coworker (and had Thanksgiving with Indians).  Surat was nice, but his wife kept him too busy.  Then he got this great idea to escape to a beach in Goa.  It was great being able to work while sitting on the front porch of a beach shack. Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 3170584802

Still have rat issues, but at least the extremely destructive one seems to be gone.  Keep hoping for some free time to stir up a few buckets of Mel's Mix to fill another cooler or two.  Managed to trip and injure my left wrist, so am having to take gardening a little easier than usual.

Some good news - Looks like some of the pepper seeds I planted weeks ago may be coming up (or some weeds doing a very good job of impersonating peppers - time will tell).  Maybe older seeds take longer to sprout? thinking
Escaped Lunatic
Escaped Lunatic

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/29/2016, 7:56 am

Yeah... we wives are great about those "honey-do" lists... But glad you were able to sit by the beach.

Sorry about your wrist. Hope it feels better soon!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/29/2016, 7:03 pm

Beach and work, who cares? Beach trumps work every time!

Hope you have peppers, and not weeds! Hope your wrist heals well, take it easy, EL. Keep us posted!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/1/2016, 2:51 pm

Escaped Lunatic wrote:  It was great being able to work while sitting on the front porch of a beach shack. Hello from beautiful Dongguan, China - Page 3 3170584802

Managed to trip and injure my left wrist
Are these two statements related, by any chance? Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next