Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand New and Excited Toplef10Brand New and Excited 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand New and Excited I22gcj10Brand New and Excited 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Brand New and Excited Toplef10Brand New and Excited 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Brand New and Excited I22gcj10Brand New and Excited 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Brand New and Excited

+6
quiltbea
Judy McConnell
sanderson
Kelejan
mschaef
momvetkat
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Brand New and Excited Empty Brand New and Excited

Post  momvetkat 1/30/2015, 10:20 pm

I can't wait to get started with SFG!. My first gardens were big sprawling and very successful, but since we moved to a tract home, my efforts have been disappointing at best. I finally realized that this will probably continue to be my home and I need to learn to adapt. I have 2 4x8 foot raised beds (about 2.5 inches tall) that I plan to make into my garden. It was so hard tearing everything out, but I want to grow veggies, darn it! I have found my Mel's Mix ingredients and ordered the grids and drip system from the SFG site but I have tons of questions. One of my questions is which seeds are best started indoors and which are OK to plant directly. I am in Southern California and plan to start my tomatoes soon, but what about peppers, cabbage, broccoli? (I only grew tomatoes, squash and peppers during the summer in the past few years) Should I direct these questions to a specific forum (like for my region?). Sorry - just excited about gardening again.Smile
momvetkat

Back to top Go down

Brand New and Excited Empty Re: Brand New and Excited

Post  mschaef 1/30/2015, 10:44 pm

There is a seed chart in the back of the book about when to plant seeds and plants based on frost dates. Also check out the back threads under your region.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  momvetkat 1/30/2015, 11:51 pm

Thanks! I have been reading the book but haven't quite figured out the charts. Will try your second suggestion.
momvetkat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/30/2015, 11:55 pm

glad you\'re here momvetcat, I love your enthusiasm.

I have a question for you.  As you have read the "book", you must know that 6 inches deep is recommended, but you say your beds are 2 1/2" deep.  Are you going to make them deeper? 

Perhaps you meant 2 1/2 feet deep?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  momvetkat 1/31/2015, 12:24 am

Oops! No they are 2.5 feet deep. I am planning to put the Mel's Mix on top. Thanks for pointing that out. Not feeling real welcome at the  moment. Yes, I read "the book" - actually his first and second. And the second post was not welcoming at all. I am just looking for advice from people who have been there. Sorry, I just want to learn but I doubt I will be back.
momvetkat

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/31/2015, 1:26 am

Momvetkat, Welcome to the SFG Forum from Fresno! glad you\'re here You live in one of the truly year-around areas. You should be able to start your seedlings any time now. tomatoes, peppers and squash. You can also start the greens like bok choy, kale and chards. Heck, if I lived down there I would be trying everything! bounce Up here in Fresno, when the heat starts up, May on, some plants go to seed (bolt) like lettuce, bok choy, and others are finished for the winter, like snow peas. But, as soon as it cools off again in the late fall, you can plant them again. I know peppers and determinant tomatoes can grow for years down there.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/31/2015, 1:30 am

momvetkat wrote:Oops! No they are 2.5 feet deep. I am planning to put the Mel's Mix on top. Thanks for pointing that out. Not feeling real welcome at the  moment. Yes, I read "the book" - actually his first and second. And the second post was not welcoming at all. I am just looking for advice from people who have been there. Sorry, I just want to learn but I doubt I will be back.
So sorry you are not feeling welcome, momvetkat.  But I can see only the second post that may have been a little abrupt.  You will get lots of friendly advice here if you stick with us. Please stay!
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 1/31/2015, 8:45 am

Welcome, momvetcat - hope you stick around because we all learn from each other.

I'm changing over to Mel's newer suggestions, having set up my beds using his 2006 version so we both are at the starting point.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/31/2015, 11:32 am

That's the problem with reading answers, you can't hear any inflection so you have to interpret what you're 'hearing' which can be difficult.  I'm sure the abruptness was well-meaning and probably meant someone was just in a hurry.
In any case, glad you\'re here from the cold northeast.   You'll have many advantages over me with your gardening.
Go to youtube as well and put in CaliKim29 and subscribe to her channel.  She grows in your area and has great vids.  In fact she's starting a new series for beginners this year and you're just in time.  Of course, you need to check into your regional thread on this forum to get more helpful responses specific to your area.
I, too, would suggest that Mel's books are very helpful from Mel's Mix to contraptions that aid us to charts on when to start seeds and when to transplant them according to your last and first frost dates.
Remember, when they give days to maturity on the seed packet, it means from date of transplant in cases where plants must be started indoors.
Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions here.  There's a large group that are always willing to give you assistance where they can.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/31/2015, 11:44 am

Welcome, momvetcat from Denton,tx. Lots of good info here.
May the garden force be with you.Smile
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  momvetkat 1/31/2015, 11:33 pm

Thanks everyone. Guess I overreacted a bit. I miss gardening so much and am excited for the first time in a long while. I am lucky because I can garden year-round - I have had ripe tomatoes in December! I will check out those videos mentioned and am still a little confused about which plants would be best started indoors. I am actually a MG but that's just book-learning. I was so discouraged over the past years because I couldn't garden the way I wanted to. Now I see some hope. Thanks and sorry.
momvetkat

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/1/2015, 1:43 am

MVK,  I think that SFG and Mel's Mix with 5 sources of compost make gardening so easy.  I started gardening 23 months ago and if it wasn't for doing the SFG method and having all these folks on the Forum helping me and cheering me on, I would have thrown in the trowel!!

Are you going to remove some of the fill so you have 6-12 inches for MM?  You only need 6" of MM (honestly!) and maybe 2" for top mulch.  Some 12" areas would be nice for carrots, parsnips, potatoes and such.  Just lay weed fabric over the original fill when you have it down to the depth you want and then fill with MM.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/1/2015, 3:31 am

sanderson wrote:MVK,  I think that SFG and Mel's Mix with 5 sources of compost make gardening so easy.  I started gardening 23 months ago and if it wasn't for doing the SFG method and having all these folks on the Forum helping me and cheering me on, I would have thrown in the trowel!!

Are you going to remove some of the fill so you have 6-12 inches for MM?  You only need 6" of MM (honestly!) and maybe 2" for top mulch.  Some 12" areas would be nice for carrots, parsnips, potatoes and such.  Just lay weed fabric over the original fill when you have it down to the depth you want and then fill with MM.

wonderful advice
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/1/2015, 9:05 am

Hi from Atlanta, GA, Momvetcat! 

Glad you've decided to give us another chance...!  You WILL get LOTS of good (and more importantly) practical advice here.

Many of us look thru several websites to get advice on what to start when & whether it should be transplanted or direct-seeded.  I would start with the website of where you get your seeds, then look at Johnny's Seeds, Baker Creek, My Patriot Supply, Seed Savers Exchange....  The USDA has a plant database, but I can't remember if they discuss direct seed vs. transplant...

Some of us also make spreadsheets to help us remember what a particular plant needs.  I'd be happy to send you mine.  Just send me a P.M. (up in the green section towards the right) with your email.

Welcome again.  Have fun!!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/1/2015, 11:08 am

Momvetcat: BIG hug

So glad you checked back to give us another chance.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/1/2015, 11:47 am

The things most often started indoors are things like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts among the brassicas.  Several herbs.   Then there's tomatoes and peppers.  Most other things can be started directly from seed outdoors.
In your region you could probably start your brassicas outdoors from seed but since I'm from the north, I can't be sure.   
Actually, the seed packets will instruct you on the back of the packet how many weeks before frost you should 'start seed indoors.'   They are very helpful.
Good luck.

Just checking into your region's local thread should help you a lot.  Folks from your area will be 'talking' about what they are presently doing in their gardens.

Last edited by quiltbea on 2/1/2015, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add last paragraph.)
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/1/2015, 12:04 pm

Southern Cal does not have a Regional Host but Tshred is starting some seeds, I think.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/1/2015, 12:06 pm

momvetkat wrote:Oops! No they are 2.5 feet deep. I am planning to put the Mel's Mix on top. Thanks for pointing that out. Not feeling real welcome at the  moment. Yes, I read "the book" - actually his first and second. And the second post was not welcoming at all. I am just looking for advice from people who have been there. Sorry, I just want to learn but I doubt I will be back.
Hi and welcome

If your beds are that deep, and just starting SFG. Are there trees around that could create a root problem ?
If yes you may want to consider a space between the ground and growing area.
I had to rebuild beds just for that reason

Brand New and Excited Bed_3_13
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Brand New and Excited Empty Reintroducing myself

Post  momvet 3/25/2015, 12:14 am

I just wanted everyone who posted to this thread that I appreciate them. I had some weird computer issues and could not get on this site. I didn't realize it was my computer and signed up again. Anyway I am a little distressed and puzzled to read that there isn't a "leader" for Southern California. We are gardeners! I need guidance! (I am a Master Gardener but that title doesn't help because I don't have all the answers). Anyway I wanted to thank everyone and I hope to make friends here!
momvet
momvet

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2015, 1:46 am

KATHY, YOU WILL MAKE FRIENDS!

Sorry Kathy, did not mean to come all over domineering. I'm a sweet old lady, really.

Some of the Regions do not have Hosts as not everyone is comfortable with that job, feeling that perhaps they do not know enough etc.  But if you are like me, I have huge gaps in my knowledge and perhaps I will never be as good as others here but I try, and in fact I am rather enjoying the experience of being a host. It's giving back for what I have received.

But not to worry, there is so much you can learn, from other regions, from single issue topics, from anyone else who loves to share their knowledge.  For myself, I spend so much time reading here that I get behind with my actual gardening.

One of the features that I find so helpful is the Search Feature at the top left hand corner of this page.

So keep coming with your questions.

Regards,
Kelejan
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2015, 2:42 am

Momvet, We are all family.  I'm familiar with SoCal weather so you can be my adopted daughter! Very Happy  Not all Regions have Hosts.

I see Kelejan replied while I was away from computer.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 3/25/2015, 8:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. Look at back threads and ask question. We all kind of lean and learn from each other. I love this site for those reason.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2015, 9:13 pm

sanderson wrote:Momvet, We are all family.  I'm familiar with SoCal weather so you can be my adopted daughter! Very Happy  Not all Regions have Hosts.

I see Kelejan replied while I was away from computer.
AS sanderson is one of my honourary Canadians, Momvet,I guess that makes you
my honourary adopted  Canadian daughter?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  momvet 3/28/2015, 9:20 pm

I am so happy to be part of the family.bounce
momvet
momvet

Back to top Go down

Post  momvet 5/11/2015, 5:12 pm

Just wanted you all to know what you have helped me do. I have asked a lot of questions, and gotten great advice. 
Brand New and Excited Bed110
Brand New and Excited Bed210
momvet
momvet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next