Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG Toplef10Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG I22gcj10Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG Toplef10Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG I22gcj10Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG

+5
gregrenee88
cheyannarach
gwennifer
plantoid
Kimiekay
9 posters

Go down

Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG Empty Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG

Post  Kimiekay 8/5/2012, 5:09 pm

Hi all, I am looking forward to this form of gardening. I grew up with the old traditional garden as a kid, got married moved to Houston, and miss the garden. This is going to make it possible for my kids to experince truely fresh produce and oh so much fun for me. Looking forward to my first SFG and learning all I can from all you folks. Very Happy

Will post pics as I *grow* along with this garden.
Kimiekay
Kimiekay

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG Empty Re: Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG

Post  plantoid 8/5/2012, 5:44 pm

Kimiekay wrote:Hi all, I am looking forward to this form of gardening. I grew up with the old traditional garden as a kid, got married moved to Houston, and miss the garden. This is going to make it possible for my kids to experince truely fresh produce and oh so much fun for me. Looking forward to my first SFG and learning all I can from all you folks. Very Happy

Will post pics as I *grow* along with this garden.

Welcome to the site.
Will you be playing by the same guide lines as the rest of us by using melbartholomew's all New Square Foot Garding book 2005 edition ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG Empty Re: Hello from a brand new Newbie to SFG

Post  gwennifer 8/5/2012, 9:26 pm

Hi and glad you\'re here to the forum! So glad you get to garden again. Looking forward to pics of your progress!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/5/2012, 9:52 pm

happy hi and glad you\'re here ! glad you\'re here So happy you get to do some gardening again! I think you will be pleased how much produce you can harvest in such a small area compared to traditional row gardening! Look foward to watching your progress!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 8/6/2012, 9:56 am

Welcome!!! This has been our first year doing SFG and have had a blast doing it!! If you have any questions about anything you can find it on here. Everyone is very nice and helpful!
Renee Cool
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  Kimiekay 8/7/2012, 9:49 am

plantoid wrote:
Welcome to the site.
Will you be playing by the same guide lines as the rest of us by using melbartholomew's all New Square Foot Garding book 2005 edition ?

Thank you all for the welcomes and yes, my hubby bought me Mel's book this past weekend. I have already started reading it.
Kimiekay
Kimiekay

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/7/2012, 5:15 pm

Well , that's a relief .. we can all sing from the same songsheet from square one.

Do try and collect things for your own home made compost as soon as you can for your own home made stuff beats the pants off the commercially the purchased bag mixed stuff you usually start off with when making up your first batch of Mel's Mix ( MM ) .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  bakermtb 8/8/2012, 9:26 am

Welcome. Make sure you read the ANSFG book and follow what Mel has written. He has done the research and it works if followed. Happy Gardening glad you\'re here
bakermtb
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/8/2012, 12:25 pm

Welcome, Kimiekay:
I, too, took a long break between traditional row gardening (my Dad) and when I start SFGing three years back.
I found it surprsing how much knowledge I had stored up without realizing it; those seeds of knowledge had lain dormant for so long but gave me a good re-start. happy hi
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/8/2012, 1:22 pm

Welcome and I agree with everyone about using the ANSFG book. I didn't realize there was a new one and had the old SFG book. While it is very good, I also didn't realize that there was a new way of making the mix in the beds and made seven the old way before I realized it. Now I am trying to figure out how I am going to switch over. I may have to do one bed at a time because I have to pace myself physically and then it will cost money to do this. But I will get there. Good luck and have fun and read about mixing Mel's Mix, not only are the quality ingredients important, but mixing them completely is important.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/8/2012, 3:17 pm

Tricia, I too started with the old book. I'm slowly switching over by the half box. Like recently I harvested 3 squares on the same side in a 2x3. Since the old MM had settled I just added vermiculite & peat and 3 scoops of compost on top and mixed it all in, since the old MM is mostly compost anyway.

But for the boxes with the old MM that haven't settled, I'm thinking of using the old MM along with some new compost for the compost portion of the new MM. That's what I've been doing with my Earth boxes also. The new MM works great in them!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down