Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/3/2016, 11:39 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I have purslane growing as a weed everywhere.  Do you eat it raw?  The leaves?  This succulent type weed?
Yes, the succulent weed. I eat the leaves, and tender young stems. Minus the leaf-miner infested leaves. The seeds are edible, too. I ate it raw up until last year when I found the wikipedia article mentioning what it's called in other countries. Using the right words I was able to find Mexican and Indian recipes that used it cooked. I've tried the cultivated version and somewhat prefer the weed. I sowed seeds but it's been a little cold, and I ended up disturbing the square to pull a persistent grassy weed that's been giving me problems and might have buried my poor tiny little seeds. Probably time to sprinkle some more in the garden, and reseed the front landscape bed that I had to mulch.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/4/2016, 8:46 am

Interesting!  I have some growing in my zinnia container....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 7/4/2016, 12:45 pm

We had fresh picked figs for breakfast
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/4/2016, 12:51 pm

Baby Lima Beans and new potatoes.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2016, 12:56 pm

Catching up. Yummy to everyone's bounty.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/4/2016, 8:42 pm

A nice tatume squash sliced and put on the grill

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/5/2016, 6:28 am

The first zucchini harvest began over the past weekend.  The first few pounds of pickling cucumbers are fermenting in 4 quart size jars.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 7/5/2016, 11:49 am

Greens, lots of them!  Plus the first carrots!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/5/2016, 12:47 pm

For dinner yesterday I used a variety of greens from the SFG to add to the salad. I also harvested some kohlrabi and followed a simple recipe for roasted kohlrabi. The recipe called for a clove of garlic but I used garlic scapes from the SFG instead. We had this with chicken.

Here it is ready to go into the oven.  I used both the "bulbs" as well as some of the stems. It was good.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 IMG_2088_zpsv2zwe0za

Here is the link to the recipe.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/203975/roasted-kohlrabi/
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/5/2016, 5:28 pm

Zucchini and first yellow pepper. Picked the zuke small and ate some raw. WOW! It was as good as any cuke. The yellow pepper was the first I've ever grown and I was worried, but it was absolutely yummy. So far the quality of my garden yield is awesome, even though the quantity is puny.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Pepper11
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/6/2016, 2:54 am

Beautiful yellow bell.  I lost both of the yellow bells, but at least the reliable hot peppers are producing.  I picked some yesterday for drying.  Ate the little eggplants, my garlic, onions, weird bells, some tomatoes and a pablamo sauteed in oil oil. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Harves10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/6/2016, 8:54 am

sanderson ... that's a nice variety of peppers, etc.  I've got green bell, sweet banana,  jalapeno and cayenne pepper plants growing. But they are growing very, very slowly.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 7/6/2016, 10:58 am

Zucchini, green bell peppers, Yellow bell peppers from a small tabletop plant, Jalapeno, orange Tangerine peppers, onion and garlic sauteed in butter and extra virgin olive oil.
       Seasoned with fresh ground pepper and salt and added Sweet Italian Sausage and cooked outside on the grill.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Zukes10
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/6/2016, 11:13 am

MrBooker wrote:Zucchini, green bell peppers, Yellow bell peppers from a small tabletop plant, Jalapeno, orange Tangerine peppers, onion and garlic sauteed in butter and extra virgin olive oil.
       Seasoned with fresh ground pepper and salt and added Sweet Italian Sausage and cooked outside on the grill.
drooling
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/6/2016, 5:41 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Beetles, I pulled 2 of my beets last weekend.  One Detroit red, and a Chiogga.  They are almost there, maybe I will look better tomorrow.  I was watering in the dusk.  Stuff is really dry.  

My carrots aren't ready at all.  

Tonight, I ate my first ever ground cherry--A MA Zing.  And I snuck the first couple cherry maters (Sungold) in and they are like shoogah!  

bounce
Scorpio - My beets were Guardsmark Chiogga and Tall Top Early Wonder. Not completely sure which were which. They were labeled at some point, but all went in the same square. My garden is probably thirsty. I should have watered this morning, but did dishes and laundry instead. It's been 3 days - have you checked your beets again?

My carrots are still seedlings. And I need to thin them. They are probably just big enough I can do it without just slashing them all. They growing so slowly.... I suspect carrots require more rigorous watering than I'm prone to.

I'm so glad you had your first ground cherry! Thanks for sharing. It's fun to hear about someone else being excited about them. They are space-consumptive, but so worth it. I suspect mine are hungry. They didn't get to be in 100% MM this year. I don't remember how they grew last year. I'm hoping it was slow and then explosively, because they seem slow right now. I already got my first one of the year, but that was from one of the seedlings before I transplanted. They were pot-bound and had nothing else to do, so they were fruiting.

Today I harvested my other three turnips and ate the small one. Somewhat woody. Will plant earlier next year.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Img_5812
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/10/2016, 10:43 am

It's my turn for bragging rights! I scrutinize my garden every day, looking for wonders (my version of an Easter egg hunt). Today I found this huge Armenian cucumber that I never saw before. YIKES! I haven't cut into it yet. I hope it's not bitter for letting it get so big, but I really was jazzed to find it.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Armeni10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/10/2016, 2:44 pm

Just did a walkabout in the SFG nibbling as I went on Daikon Radish pods, Sugar Snap Peas and even a leaf of Wasabi Mustard (that was hot). It's great to try all these different things straight off the plants and experience an amazing juxtaposition of flavors.

I normally put a dressing on salads I eat in restaurants or made from store bought produce. But when I eat a salad made from things in my SFG, I usually do not use a dressing because I want to taste all the great and individual flavors.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/10/2016, 6:05 pm

Today we have had from the garden for lunch , two mini all year round cauliflowers each about 4 inches across , delicious , so fresh that when on the plates they thought they were still growing out in the garden  .

Served with roast pork and crunchy crackling , carrots baton , dwarf French beans and golden roasted potatoes   all lightly drizzled with home made thin pork gravy & a dollop of apple sauce  .... YUM!
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/10/2016, 9:04 pm

plantoid wrote:mini all year round cauliflowers each about 4 inches across 
Ooo, gotta put that on my wish list for next time. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/11/2016, 2:01 am

Volunteer potatoes from my compost heap. Tthey tasted good.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 7/11/2016, 4:01 am

countrynaturals wrote:
plantoid wrote:mini all year round cauliflowers each about 4 inches across 
Ooo, gotta put that on my wish list for next time. Cool

If you sow , say eight seeds every 10 days through the growing season you'll have them for a long time .
So long as your weather is not too hot as cauli's are like Brussels sprouts .. a cool slow grow season produces the best .
 Mine are growing in the shade of the north end of our bungalow (  here in the United Kingdom ) . A good sprinkle of Epsom salts is also beneficial over the ground jut before you plant them out as they like BORON in the MM to grow well .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/11/2016, 11:03 am

My favorite meal of all time.  Gazpacho again.  About 1 and 1/2 gallons.  I found out it is just as good frozen.  I tested freezing it and the cucs were still crunchy.  I will freeze it in containers with two meals in each container.  Yum, Yum.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Gazpac12
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/11/2016, 9:12 pm

I should give gazpacho another try. My brother in law made it once and it was...not good. I think I could make it good! Yolos, is your recipe on our recipe thread?

Thr turnips I planted this year were (are, I still have some) amazing! Delicate, crunchy and sweet. Tokyo Cross, similar to Hakurei. Simply wonderful.

Plantoid, sounds delish!

Here is what I pulled yesterday, while being eaten by mosquitoes....ate a cuke, the rest will come:

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Image41

Patty pans, cukes, ground cherries, carrots, and a few cherry tomatoes Sungold. I love the ground cherries! What the heck! I think there is salsa in my future! LOL! I forgot how watery and sweet and light a real cuke is....

And the purple pole beans (fingers crossed here) seem a bit more sturdy when it come to the JBs. Hmmmm
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/11/2016, 9:26 pm

Wow very nice SR.  I like those Patty Pans look very interesting. I'll have to try to remember them for next year's plantings. There are so many new to me veggies, etc. on this forum and I want to try them all (wishful thinking).
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/11/2016, 9:28 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I should give gazpacho another try.  My brother in law made it once and it was...not good.  I think I could make it good!  Yolos, is your recipe on our recipe thread?

Thr turnips I planted this year were (are, I still have some) amazing!  Delicate, crunchy and sweet.  Tokyo Cross, similar to Hakurei.  Simply wonderful.

Plantoid, sounds delish!

Here is what I pulled yesterday, while being eaten by mosquitoes....ate a cuke, the rest will come:

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 30 Image41

Patty pans, cukes, ground cherries, carrots, and a few cherry tomatoes Sungold.  I love the ground cherries!  What the heck!  I think there is salsa in my future!  LOL!  I forgot how watery and sweet and light a real cuke is....

And the purple pole beans (fingers crossed here) seem a bit more sturdy when it come to the JBs.  Hmmmm
No, but I will try to put it there tomorrow.  But be forewarned, no Gazpacho recipe is like this one so you may not like it.  But it is how my mother made it and we all like it the best.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next