Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers Toplef10Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers I22gcj10Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers Toplef10Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers I22gcj10Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers

4 posters

Go down

Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers Empty Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers

Post  Judy McConnell 7/23/2014, 2:21 pm

Have to use peppers picked this am and thought that a GOOD stuffed pepper recipe would be great - plan to freeze them for winter use.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers Empty Re: Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers

Post  meatburner 7/23/2014, 2:34 pm

Judy, we process about 50-60 stuffed peppers for the winter as well.  My wife uses one of her meatloaf recipes.  Some have rice in the recipe and some don't.  Works great. I can ask her if she actually has a recipe.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers Empty Re: Anyone have a special recipe for stuffed peppers

Post  Judy McConnell 7/23/2014, 4:29 pm

Thanks, Meatburner.  I hadn't thought to use a meatloaf filling, that is a good idea.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 7/24/2014, 10:45 am

I freeze about 4 varieties of stuffed peppers in meal size portions; traditional with ground beef and rice, a quinoa beef, vegetarian, and spicy sw version with sausage, corn and black beans.  I do have recipes but try a search; it would most likely turn up lots of options.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 7/24/2014, 10:49 am

Thanks, Herblover
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth 3/28/2015, 2:43 pm

Scrolling  through previous post I found yours.  I love stuffed peppers and use different stuffing.  I use either bell peppers or pablano peppers.

Cut off the top and remove the core.

I scald my peppers in boiling water for 1 minute then shock them in an ice water bath to stop the cooking.

I have used fresh pork sausage,  really good ground meat and Italian Sausage for the filling.  I have also stuffed peppers suing Boudin.  Boudin is ground pork cooked with spices and seasonings, mixed with rice and stuffed into a casing.  I haven't used it in a while because my DH needs to avoid carbs.

If you are using sausage remove it from the casing.  Fresh pork sausage or ground meat needs to be seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  Add whatever other condiments that you want.  If you want a Mexican twist add Fresh cilantro, a little cumin and chili powder, a little cayenne,  what ever you like.  Think outside the box for your flavor profile.  You can use Asian spices, Indian spices, or what ever you want to experiment with.  If I use Italian sausage I skip the herbs and spices because it is already there.

Brown the seasoned meat in a heavy skillet on medium high.  Drain the meat.  Reserve the fat. 

I like to add a mix of sauted vegegatable to my meat mix.

In the reserved fat sauté onions, garlic, bell peppers celery and some minced Jalapeno if you like. 

Return the meat to the skillet and combine with the vegetable.  Allow to cool enough to handle.

Again think outside the box.  Consider adding diced cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels's sprouts, carrots, turnips, not all at  one time just experiment.  These vegetables need to be sautéed.  Don't over cook.  Leave some crunch.  They will  finish cooking in the oven. 

I have added chopped spinach to the cooled mixture just bust before stuffing the peppers.

Some times I add fresh tomatoes.  Scald for 1 minute, shock in ice water, peel and remove the seeds.  Dice the flesh.  Add to the cooled mixture. Don't sauté the tomatoes.  They will get mushy.

I love cheese and frequently add grated Gruyere, aged Assiago or Parmesan Regianno to the cooled mix.

Stuff your peppers. 

You can freeze your peppers at this point and finish in the oven when you are ready to serve or you can bake them now and then freeze. 

Either way set your peppers on a sheet pan and freeze over night.   I have a sealing machine and seal the frozen pepper in 2 person servings.  You can use Zip Locks but they will not keep as long. 

To bake I put the peppers on a rack in a sheet pan and put water in the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees until peppers and stuffing are fully cooked. 

35-45 minutes depending on the size of the peppers. 

I love stuffed peppers because of their versatility.  You can really play with so many flavor profiles.

Enjoy
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down