Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 Toplef10APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 I22gcj10APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 Toplef10APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 I22gcj10APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

APRIL! N&C Midwest

+11
R&R 1011
Rick Seeger
jwesley
sanderson
CapeCoddess
llama momma
herblover
DorothyG
bonnie0128
jmsieglaff
Goosegirl
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 Empty Re: APRIL! N&C Midwest

Post  DorothyG 4/13/2014, 11:51 pm

I have onions, lettuce, radishes, peas, and turnips up.  Just when I thought I was batting a hundred, don't you know it, a hard freeze warning for Monday night through Tuesday late morning.  This evening we had buckets of rain and some wind.  Yesterday the high temp was 82.  Missouri weather  Rolling Eyes
DorothyG
DorothyG

Female Posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2014, 3:59 am

I'm beginning to think that over-wintering garlic is designed specifically to give the end-of-winter gardener hope!  I love you  Sort of like daffodils.  APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 274447
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/14/2014, 7:48 am

DorothyG wrote:I have onions, lettuce, radishes, peas, and turnips up.  Just when I thought I was batting a hundred, don't you know it, a hard freeze warning for Monday night through Tuesday late morning.  This evening we had buckets of rain and some wind.  Yesterday the high temp was 82.  Missouri weather  Rolling Eyes

Completely understand - Wednesday was 79, right now it is 19!  Keeping myself consoled with seedlings.  My pepper starts are doing better than in any other year, and my toms are ready to be potted up.  Will do that tonight after work, as I watch the snow...

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/14/2014, 8:57 am

Ouch, GG...  Again, glad I live in the South...!  Although we're supposed to get down to 34 tomorrow night.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 4/15/2014, 8:13 am

79 on Sunday; snowing this am; gotta love April in the Midwest!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  jwesley 4/15/2014, 8:28 am

Only had a light dusting at my house today... I covered my SFG and delayed transplanting a few things I wanted to last weekend.  On the bright side the Radish's I planted germinated wonderfully, and the spinach seems to be coming up too!
jwesley
jwesley

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/15/2014, 12:50 pm

I'm northeast of you towards Columbus, at this hour the dusting is nearly all melted.  It sure was sad to see the garlic and asparagus with snow around them.   After it becomes more balmy this afternoon closer to 36 degrees I'll be sure to cover them tonight, suppose to drop to mid 20's.  I hope the newly arriving hummingbirds find each other to hug and keep warm!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 4/15/2014, 4:16 pm

sanderson wrote:I'm beginning to think that over-wintering garlic is designed specifically to give the end-of-winter gardener hope!  I love you  Sort of like daffodils.  APRIL! N&C Midwest - Page 2 274447
right!
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 4/16/2014, 12:54 pm

Got another light dusting of snow last night but it looks like that should be the end of it with temps predicted in the 60s starting tomorrow.

My seedlings are emerging (except the peppers - darn things!) and the zucchini and cocozelle are going crazy.  I think I'll try to up-pot them tomorrow (they already have a true leaf).  Can you bury the stem like you do with tomatoes?

Don't think I'm going to get much planted as far as a spring crop goes - may try to throw the carrot seeds in this week but I still have to weed the beds (they get terrible over winter) and get some compost.

Thankful for sunny days on the horizon!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/17/2014, 2:31 pm

My peppers are just now coming up.  Took them 4-8 weeks to sprout, goodness picky things.  I think Im going to get my strawberries, potatoes, broccoli, and cabbage in the ground soon.  Going to get my wood and vermiculite today.  

My grandmother who has always had beautiful flower beds expressed interest in doing a small raised vegetable bed, so Im going to bring a 4' x 4' box over her place tomorrow with mels mix and a few seedlings.   flower
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/17/2014, 10:56 pm

Potted up 24 'maters, 6 each of 4 varieties.  Planted 28 pots of flowers and herbs:  3 Parsley, 4 Dill, 7 Love-Lies-Bleeding, 7 Autumn Beauty Sunflowers, 7 Calendulas. Never tried flowers before, so will be interesting to see how they do.  12 peppers (6 each of 2 different varieties) are doing great - better than in any other season, but not quite big enough to pot up yet.  Supposed to  be 53 tomorrow.  We shall see.  Gave the onions a haircut and used the clippings in egg salad.  Can't wait to try it tomorrow after all the flavors meld!

GG

PS - also going to buy a wheel barrow tomorrow, make it easier to sift stuff and move compost. At almost 50, my lower back rebels now and then, so I am giving in and admitting that I need help and see TT's in my future!!!

Last edited by Goosegirl on 4/17/2014, 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 4/18/2014, 9:03 am

Feeling a little discouraged this morning.  While tending to my little starts, I realized just how poorly they are doing (for the most part).  Very few of my peppers sprouted - and the ones that did look unhealthy (a few cups even have a white fuzzy mold in them even though I was careful not to over-water).  The majority of my tomatoes have the seed shell stuck.  The mix I used to plant some flower seeds must have had some weed in it because all the cups have weeds growing (and I don't know what is weed and what is the flower).  And everything seems tall and lanky.  Last year I was so haphazard about my seed starting and everything did great.  This year, I tried to be careful/mindful, followed the "rules", etc and bupkiss.  I wonder if the seeds I got are just inferior.  Don't know if I really have time to start any more but I'm going to go buy some pellets this time and at least try some more tomatoes.  And my son was SO excited about his favorite orange bell peppers Sad   I guess this is part of gardening life.
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/18/2014, 9:12 am

BIG hug 

I'm sorry, Bonnie.  Where did you get your seeds?

Apparently a lot of us have had problems with seed shells sticking to the 'maters this year.  I just pulled them off (VERY gently) finally.

I think I've got some orange bell pepper seeds hiding in the fridge somewhere.  Want me to check & send you some if I can find them?  (From the grocery store veggie bins)

I lost a bunch of stuff in the freeze the other night.  And had 40% of my okra lost due to damping off when I first seeded them.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 4/18/2014, 9:35 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:BIG hug 

I'm sorry, Bonnie.  Where did you get your seeds?

I got most of them from seed sellers on ebay.  Most also have internet sites so they seem legit.  I couldn't afford the catalog companies this year Sad

Apparently a lot of us have had problems with seed shells sticking to the 'maters this year.  I just pulled them off (VERY gently) finally.

I tired a couple and they are *really* stuck.  It doesn't help that they are spoon and small cherry varieties so the seedlings are very fragile.

I think I've got some orange bell pepper seeds hiding in the fridge somewhere.  Want me to check & send you some if I can find them?  (From the grocery store veggie bins)

I didn't know if I could do that - just plant seeds from a grocery bell.  I thought it'd likely be a hybrid.  If you've had success with them though, I guess I could either go buy a pepper or take you up on your offer.

I lost a bunch of stuff in the freeze the other night.  And had 40% of my okra lost due to damping off when I first seeded them.

That's awful  Mad Mother nature surely hasn't been kind to us gardeners this year.  And I hear we're in for quite a temperamental summer too.  Is damping off when mold grows?  What should I do if one cup is developing mold and has a good seedling?

Thanks for all your help and kindness!
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/18/2014, 9:48 am

Gotcha.  And I understand.  I got most of my seeds from Baker's Creek when they went on end of the year clearance at a local "prepper" shop.

I suspect you're correct on the bell being a hybrid.  Didn't realize you also focus on heirlooms like me.  Haven't tried to grow those peppers.  Didn't think about the hybrid factor when I saved them.   who?me? 

Damping off - yes.  Toss them and start over.  (Sorry...)  The mold is actually vericullum wilt. (spelling?)

Sticky seeds - hmmm.... not sure what to tell you there....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 4/18/2014, 10:06 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Didn't realize you also focus on heirlooms like me.
Sticky seeds - hmmm.... not sure what to tell you there....

I am just starting to focus on heirlooms this year.  I'm not against hybrids if they are organic/non-gmo...but thought I'd avoid them when I can since heirlooms are so important.  I think it's so exciting to grow "unusual" varieties (even if they aren't so different from our old standards) and I'm still *reading* my heirloom seed catalogs like they are textbooks or something!  It's so fascinating to see the history and so many varieties (esp tomatoes and melons)!  I wish I had more room!  I'm getting crunchier month by month.  Wink 

I wonder if a quick soak of the tomato seed would help soften the shell or if it'd cause it to rot.  Hmmm...might be worth an experiment with a seed or two, I guess.
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/18/2014, 10:11 am

Baker Creek is a great resource then, Bonnie.  They have a free catalog and one that is $8 with more info.

Since I'll be using this as a business, they were kind enough to send me the $8 for free!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/18/2014, 7:07 pm

Bonnie, I feel your pain!  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 4/18/2014, 7:18 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Baker Creek is a great resource then, Bonnie.  They have a free catalog and one that is $8 with more info.

Since I'll be using this as a business, they were kind enough to send me the $8 for free!

I have the free one and I've been reading it intently.  I wish there were pictures for every type though and that the pictures were with the descriptions.
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 4/18/2014, 9:49 pm

The answer to our woes?  Spit on your stuck seed shells/"helmets"  

Laughing 

LOL, I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a shot, right?  

Here's what I'm referring to: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/seeds/seed-coat-stuck.htm
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 4/18/2014, 10:26 pm

In the past I've had issues with finches eating my pea shoots.  So I've covered them with bird netting, problem solved.  The finches never touched anything else in the garden.  So this year where I have the peas, I also have spinach and radishes covered.  In another bed I have more radishes and arugula sprouting and suddenly one day I go outside and see the little seedling leaves are eaten back nearly to the stems--to the point I'll likely have to replant.  It's the finches, I've seen them doing it and the radishes under the net are fine.  Anyone have issues with finches?  I wonder why the problem suddenly--maybe not much else to eat?
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/19/2014, 8:23 am

Interesting thought process in that article, Bonnie.  I'm always afraid I'm putting my seeds too deep.  Especially the small ones.

I agree that there should be more info in the catalogs.  (And not just Baker Creek.)  I'd like to see pH ranges, rotation info, etc.  It's a pain having to search all over the internet for the info.

Jimmy, I'd agree with your assessment.  They want greens just as much as we do.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 4/19/2014, 2:44 pm

Goosegirl wrote: I think I may start some flowers indoors next.  Never tried flowers.  This is a COMPLETE experiment!    idk 

GG
Indoor flowers are my specialty! I had marigolds blooming at least since late December!
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/19/2014, 7:31 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:
Goosegirl wrote: I think I may start some flowers indoors next.  Never tried flowers.  This is a COMPLETE experiment!    idk 

GG
Indoor flowers are my specialty! I had marigolds blooming at least since late December!
I may need to pick your brain later on in the season.  I have my flower seeds planted, but I noticed this morning that there was WAY too much water in the bottom of the self-watering seed starting tray.  They may have been swimming in a bog for a few days!  I poured off the excess water and set the tray outside to dry out a bit since it is 69 today.  I will give them a week to start some activity, then I will reseed if nothing happens.

Thankfully my 'maters, peppers, onions, and basil are doing great!  Also came across a box of narcissus bulbs for forcing that I bought on clearance 2 months ago - stuck them in the pot and they are all sprouting nicely!

GG

PS - since it was so nice today, I mowed up the leaves.  Emptied the mower bag at least 4 times, maybe more.  Could not see any grass clippings, but LOTS of finely chopped leaves now starting this season's compost pile!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Seeger 4/21/2014, 7:13 am

Completed the first stage of a major renovation to my main SFG area of the yard yesterday. I installed a 38" high decorative fence around the entire area of my SFG beds to deter my nosy / helpful / curious / hungry beagle. She doesn't seem to care for it, but the plants will be happy I hope. I have also put out my hummingbird feeders and hope to see the first one by the end of the week. Kind of interesting to see on the map how they seem to be avoiding WI, MN, and upper NY for the time being. Lots more to do this week - add compost to my SFG beds, plant some radishes, and develop some spots around the inside of the new fence for perennials to be planted - my real motive for the whole project is having less lawn to have to mow! Have a great week everyone!
Rick Seeger
Rick Seeger

Male Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next