Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellowing of Leaves Toplef10Yellowing of Leaves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellowing of Leaves I22gcj10Yellowing of Leaves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellowing of Leaves Toplef10Yellowing of Leaves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellowing of Leaves I22gcj10Yellowing of Leaves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yellowing of Leaves

+3
Yardslave
camprn
tumtumsback
7 posters

Go down

Yellowing of Leaves Empty Yellowing of Leaves

Post  tumtumsback 3/9/2014, 10:37 am

Haven't had this happen with my old setup:
-16 Hrs light with T-20 cool fluorescent bulbs, plants within 2 inches
-Soil was Bumper Crop Organic Soil Amendment (not even what is supposed to be used, stupid of me, but the stuff is probably SUPER nutrient dense)
-Plastic Cups /w little drainage
-No fan
-Overwatered

New setup:
-15 Hrs light with (4) T-5 fluorescent bulbs, plants within 6-8 inches
-Soil is Mel's Mix from Veteran Compost
-Actual Seedling Cups /w good drainage
-Fan blowing a super gentle breeze, set on the same 15 Hr cycle as the lights

I feel like I'm doing everything right now, and I have 12 Broccoli growing right now... Only 1 or 2 of these babies are turning a bit yellow // why could these leaves be looking kinda yellow - lack of water? lack of nutrients in the soil? too powerful a light? not enough light? light too far away (doubt it, this new light is super strong and if I keep it any closer, the leaves will get tip burn)?

I'm thinking of going and getting this soil tested.

Yellowing of Leaves Yellow12

Yellowing of Leaves Yellow13

(hehe, you can see my fingerprints on that leaf -- I didn't pinch it hard either I promise!)
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Yellowing of Leaves Empty Re: Yellowing of Leaves

Post  camprn 3/9/2014, 10:49 am

New gardeners who are trying to grow plants from seeds often over water, which can be deadly to plants. Beware of over watering. How often are you watering now?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Yellowing of Leaves WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 3/9/2014, 10:51 am

I would say once every three days or so... I usually wait for the soil to get super dry, then water from above until dripping comes out the bottom, and then won't water again until the MM is bone dry
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/9/2014, 11:04 am

The mix should not become bone dry, this will just dessicate the small root hairs. Water a little less at a time because you do not want the nutrients to wash out of the soil mix in the small cells. Does the plant have new leaves sprouting?

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Yellowing of Leaves WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 3/9/2014, 11:21 am

Yes, they look healthy, just a tad washed out, and are producing leaves with no problem
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/9/2014, 11:36 am

That's very good! If the discolored leaves become worse, just pinch them off the plant, new leaves will take their place. What a Face 

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/9/2014, 4:13 pm

Looks like a magnesium deficiency to me. Add a pinch of Epsom salts to a pint of non-chlorinated water and water it through- don't let the container sit in water any longer than 10 minutes at a time, as this can leach out minerals by osmotic pressure.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 3/9/2014, 8:56 pm

Okay things have gotten worse since I've been gone...

Yellowing of Leaves Newyel10

This yellow dude is now shriveled up and getting dry/crackly on the edges -- is this from lack of water? Lack of nutrients? Too close to my T-5 lights?

Yellowing of Leaves Newyel11

This never happened with my old setup, which I would think was way worse / way more inexperienced of a setup.

---------------------------------------------

Also, some of these leaves are looking weird with yellow spots

Yellowing of Leaves Newyel12

Yellow dots...

Yellowing of Leaves Newyel13

Leaf folding in on the edges...

---------------------------------

Whereas all of my other plants look like this!

Yellowing of Leaves Newyel14

I can't figure it out?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 3/9/2014, 9:05 pm

Oh geez -- and I just thought of something else that could be way different that I'm doing now that I wasn't doing before...

The pH of the water coming out of my sink @ my house is really low ~ 4.0

What I've been doing in the past is using water from my Water Dispenser (the water that comes out of those blue water jug type machines) which has a pH of around ~7.0+, and then I've been mixing a bit of sink water into it to make the water between 6.3 and 6.8

Without even thinking about it, I had been filling the water up into large beer mugs and leaving them to sit out for 24 hrs to get to room temperature, as Mel says that it's best to water the plants with room temperature water -- I didn't even realize that at the same time, I was also LETTING THE CHLORINE EVAPORATE!

Most recently, I bought these spray bottles and I've been mixing the water right into the spray bottles and then capping the spray bottles off, which probably isn't letting the chlorine in the drinking water evaporate -- THIS COULD BE why my plants are looking so weird... Any thoughts on this?! Maybe for now on, if I'm going to be using the drinking water from my water dispenser, I need to make sure that I'm leaving the water out for 24+ hrs before feeding my plants so that I can be rest assured that all of the chlorine has evaporated; does it sound like I may have just cracked the code?  Yellowing of Leaves 43549
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/9/2014, 9:34 pm

My water is chlorinated.  I never heard of de-chlorinating it before using it on seedlings.  I de-chlorinate it when I put it on my compost pile but not for watering plants or seedlings.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 3/13/2014, 10:36 am

Is it possible that the MM that I have is too nutrient dense? I had someone come and look at my setup and they said for one, they recommended my MM be mixed with regular topsoil because it's too nutrient dense, and two, it's too loose and water is going to constantly run right through it. Some of my seedlings are coming along strong, some of them have leaves that are shriveling up and dying, and some of the leaves are either tacoing up and/or folding in on themselves.
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/13/2014, 10:46 am

Please remember that Mel's Mix does not include top soil. You were incorrectly advised.

What did you use to make your Mel's Mix?  Did you have five different composts? Which ones?  Did any of them contain a lot of uncomposted wood products? Did you use vermiculite--or perlite?

It's essential to have five (or more) composts.  Uncomposted wood robs the plants of nitrogen.  

I agree with Mel that vermiculite is superior to perlite for the following reason:  Perlite encourages drainage, although it does hold some moisture.  Vermiculite, on the other hand, holds a great deal of moisture, and when saturated, allows that moisture to drain gradually.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/13/2014, 11:13 am

tumtumsback wrote:Is it possible that the MM that I have is too nutrient dense? I had someone come and look at my setup and they said for one, they recommended my MM be mixed with regular topsoil because it's too nutrient dense, and two, it's too loose and water is going to constantly run right through it. Some of my seedlings are coming along strong, some of them have leaves that are shriveling up and dying, and some of the leaves are either tacoing up and/or folding in on themselves.
Did this person giving you advice actually have knowledge of what they were talking about? It seems that this person clearly didn't understand the basics of the SFG and Mel's mix. DId they give you examples of what made them think these things? Was there any rationale offered?

Many folks like to give advice and frankly, that person was giving you bad advice.

Have you been watering more regularly and not allowing the mix to dry out as before? Is the new growth looking strong and green? HAve there been any drastic changes in the past 5 days? MAybe you can post an updated photo..

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/13/2014, 2:15 pm

TumTum,  Update photos will help here.

Do not add top soil!!!   affraid   No dirt allowed!  Properly made MM works = 1/3 vermiculite or perlite, 1/3 fluffed peat moss, and 1/3 Five-Source compost.  What did you use to make your compost?  We are here to help you be a SF Gardener!   Very Happy

PS,  Don't worry if the first set of leaves turn yellow.  They aren't the True leaves anyway.  The second set and on are true leaves.

Last edited by sanderson on 3/13/2014, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add PS)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 3/13/2014, 3:47 pm

http://www.veterancompost.com/our-products-1/

This is where I got my MM, recommended through this forum.

"Square Foot Gardening Mix - $8.50/cubic foot bag, $175/yard
This container mix is great for anyone using raised beds, especially those doing Square Foot Gardening. It is 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 coarse vermiculite.

This is THE recipe prescribed for Square Foot Gardening, so if you were looking to make your own, you might want to save yourself some trouble and buy in pre-mixed!"

I assume the 1/3 compost is basically made up of food scraps and wood scraps and manure... I have no way of telling though... A lot of the wood scraps are NOT fully composted, which is why some of these babies could be doing good and others not so much... The ones that aren't doing good could have a higher concentration of uncomposted wood scraps in their contained seedling pot.

It's really sad because I have a batch of Broccoli seedlings that I started too early, but kept it going for kicks to learn how to start from seed, and that batch is doing SO much better than this new batch of Broccoli which is being grown STRICTLY in this stuff: http://www.coastofmaine.com/mn-bumpercrop.shtml

No vermiculite whatsoever in the old batch... And they are doing amazing -- I think I just got robbed by this "Veteran Compost" dude... There was still silverware (forks, knives) and plastic straws and all sorts of stuff in my compost. NOT a good way to get introduced to SFG...  Mad

Last edited by tumtumsback on 3/13/2014, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/13/2014, 7:36 pm

tumtumsback wrote:
It's really sad because I have a batch of Broccoli seedlings that I started too early, but kept it going for kicks to learn how to start from seed, and that batch is doing SO much better than this new batch of Broccoli which is being grown STRICTLY in this stuff: http://www.coastofmaine.com/mn-bumpercrop.shtml

No vermiculite whatsoever in the old batch... And they are doing amazing -- I think I just got robbed by this "Veteran Compost" dude... There was still silverware (forks, knives) and plastic straws and all sorts of stuff in my compost. NOT a good way to get introduced to SFG...  Mad
Veteran's compost has mixed the product according to Mel's recipe and you are having problems, please contact them if you are unsatisfied.

To be fair, the Coast of Main product you planted in is all compost and not Mel's mix so it's not an equal comparison.

Please post a photo of anything you are continuing to have trouble with and perhaps we can help, but if you feel it is the Veteran's Mel's mix there is nothing we can do to help you.
Or you could add some Coast of Maine compost to the Mel's mix.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 3/15/2014, 10:37 am

Here is an overview of all of my Broccoli seedlings

Yellowing of Leaves Weirdl10

This one is starting to form pits
Yellowing of Leaves Weirdl11

This one is drying out on the edges and yellowing
Yellowing of Leaves Weirdl12

This one is pitted and drying out
Yellowing of Leaves Weirdl13

Yellowing of Leaves Weirdl14

This is an example of what the other good ones look like -- I have about 6 of these healthy ones
Yellowing of Leaves Weirdl15
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/15/2014, 7:12 pm

Pinch off the yellowing and dried out leaves, they aren't doing the plant any good. Has your watering become more regular and not allowing the mix to dry out? They really don't look too bad.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/15/2014, 8:26 pm

Veteran Compost is a forum member, but doesn't sign on much.  Bet bet is to contact the company.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  tumtumsback 5/14/2014, 7:54 pm

Scratch everything that I ever said -- his Soil is amazing. My lights were way too powerful! and I was overwatering. #NewbieComplaints
tumtumsback
tumtumsback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down