Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soup weather Toplef10Soup weather 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soup weather I22gcj10Soup weather 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soup weather Toplef10Soup weather 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soup weather I22gcj10Soup weather 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Soup weather

+4
sanderson
camprn
plantoid
bnoles
8 posters

Go down

Soup weather Empty Soup weather

Post  bnoles 12/7/2013, 7:30 pm

It was a tomato soup kind of day.

Cold, windy and rainy weather sends me to the kitchen in search of comfort food and what better than tomato soup. Having an abundance of tomatoes stored away in my over packed freezer from my summer organic garden adventures, I decided I would make some room by using some of my supply.

Started out sauteing a big onion and 10 cloves of garlic (also from my garden). Dumped in a huge amount of tomatoes and added some balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Brought it all to a boil and let simmer for 2 hours or more. When done, I added two heaping table spoons of basil and some brown sugar to taste. Put the boat motor mixer in the pot and worked until it was blended and smooth and then strained it into a very large SS bowl. Yielded about 1 1/2 gallons to put back into the freezer for even colder days ahead. We love having food stocked away for quick easy meals.

Soup weather P1010013

Soup weather P1010014

Soup weather P1010015

Soup weather P1010016
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Soup weather Empty Re: Soup weather

Post  plantoid 12/7/2013, 7:36 pm

Bob that looks good .

I've not yet been able to get a  colour like yours .

It seems that I've also  tended to undercook by about an hour as my tomato soup looks like dirty dish water .

Have you also added cream or  milk to it to cream it ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/7/2013, 7:39 pm

plantoid wrote:Bob that looks good .

I've not yet been able to get a  colour like yours .

It seems that I've also  tended to undercook by about an hour as my tomato soup looks like dirty dish water .

Have you also added cream or  milk to it to cream it ?
No milk/cream added on this batch David, it was good without it.

bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/7/2013, 7:39 pm

yummy!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Soup weather WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/7/2013, 9:16 pm

Bob,  Yummy.  I'm cooking a turkey sausage - vegetable soup with Tony Chachere's.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/8/2013, 4:30 pm

Very pretty soup. Never thought of putting balsamic vinegar into it, though I have put vinegar and lemon into some soups to brighten them up. Lentil soup especially seems to benefit.

I roasted one acorn squash and three butternut squashes yesterday; two of the butternut were the biggest I had ever seen. Store bought, as mine were a complete bust this year. Scooped out the smushy innards and put them into two large containers that went into the freezer for butternut squash soup sometime soon.

Speaking of lentil soup, this is the perfect time for it. Think I'll make some.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/8/2013, 9:00 pm

I nearly broke down and cried tonight Laughing 
 Earlier today we defrosted the deep chest freezer out in the garage ..first time in three years so it's not that bad

Lurking within the depths of the freezer  I found the following vac packed heat sealed  packs of 8 July 2011 parsnips , 2 pints of chicken stock going a decidedly orange colour dated  23 March 2012 . a pint of chicken stock dated ??  March 2013 , a 1/4 pound of carrots baton August 2013 and some unknown undated  broken up herbs ( don't think it was cannabis Laughing Laughing )

I dropped the lot into a big heavy saucepan , added the juice off the lunchtime roast ham joint , the  4 ounce remains of the ham chopped up fine, two large fine chopped onions, three out the  garden  medium fine chopped carrots . two cloves of chopped garlic ,1/2 pint of fully skimmed  milk ,. 1/5 pint of double cream & a pint of water .

Got it all boiling , turned it to a simmer for 2 hrs. it reduced by about 2 inches down the pan.  Then I hit it with the hand held electric whizzer for 30 seconds or so  and turned it into one of the finest soups I've ever produced.

We had a delicious evening meal of this home made soup with fresh home baked crusty bread rolls.

Now the tears part  Wink 

After the tea meal I started to put the excess soup into two vac pack bags , 3/4 of a pint in each bag .
Filled the first bag , stood it up against the wall by the sink and filled the other . I started the heat sealing was pressing the heater bar when the first bag slid over open end onto & down  the draining board , the soup came out all over the draining board and behind the tap pillar .

A few mild cusses here and there then started laughing at an idea .....that started to grow inn my mind ..the more it grew the more I laughed ...
So .... I got a drinking straw and had some cold soup off the draining board Very Happy , couldn't reach the back of the board and was unwilling to wipe it away down the sink as it tasted so good . .

" Merle , here boy, Merle come here... "  Made him sit whilst I arranged the dining chairs so he could stand on them on all fours and lap up the soup . Then told him it was OK to HUP and walk to the soup .
He was having none of it,  as he knows dining chairs , kitchens and our food is VERBOTEN . So I dipped my fingers in the soup gave him a lick of my fingers and told him " Yes" .

That's the fastest I've ever seen him move .. up onto the two chairs like a flash and cleaned half the sink , but as you know most dogs are stupid,  he couldn't reach the back of the board no matter how hard he pushed against the draining board . I touched his right front paw to get his attention , tapped the edge of the board and said Yes .. he quickly put both front  feet on the drainer and got the last of the soup .

Once it was all " doggone " I told him to leave  and get down " go out kitchen " .. .which he did ..,  fine I thought job well done  as I cleaned the few remaining traces of soup up and poured a bit of bleach in the rinse water to do the job properly .

Suddenly I found a big black dog head butting me , wagging his tail like mad .. reckon he likes my soup as well.
He stayed close to me for a good hour , often giving me the little nuzzles and grrrrr's of happiness.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/8/2013, 10:19 pm

rofl rofl rofl   LOVE IT!!!  One HAPPY pup!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/9/2013, 2:54 am

Cute story, thanks for sharing.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/9/2013, 7:17 am

Great experience with bow wow David and thanks for sharing. I love making soup and the possibilities are always endless.

bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 12/9/2013, 10:50 am

It was a soup knid of weekend! I made minestrone on Fri and chili on Sun!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/9/2013, 3:03 pm

Crockpot of tomato based soup with pork, cabbage, and onions, with copycat cheddar bay biscuits (red lobster restaurant style).  Nice while checking out the brand new copy of Baker Creek seed catalog.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/9/2013, 6:30 pm

llama momma wrote:Crockpot of tomato based soup with pork, cabbage, and onions, with copycat cheddar bay biscuits (red lobster restaurant style).  Nice while checking out the brand new copy of Baker Creek seed catalog.

WOW! That takes tomato soup to a whole new level and sounds wonderful. You have once again inspired me and will be trying this out.

bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/9/2013, 7:01 pm

Bob,
I have this crazy thing for tomatoes at the moment and can't get enough. Been having that soup for 3 days.  Then at a Bob Evans restaurant today went and ordered a large glass of tomato juice with the meal. 
 thinking
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 12/9/2013, 7:33 pm

Heheh! It's really hard to get enough. Last growing season we ate a lot of our own, and baskets worth of maters from a neighbor's garden, too. And when we were done eating all the ripe ones, we couldn't get enough of the green ones, either fried up or turned into apple-tomato chutney. Don't feel alone -- there's almost no limit to the tomatoes I can eat either!

I'm pretty much the same with citrus. I could easily eat a half dozen oranges per day, if not more.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/9/2013, 7:46 pm

herblover wrote:It was a soup knid of weekend!  I made minestrone on Fri and chili on Sun

Would you please be so kind and put the recipe up in the recipe section please  as I'd love to have a minestrone recipe that works and someone has tested and survived from it   Laughing

Last edited by camprn on 12/10/2013, 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/10/2013, 4:04 pm

Today made the weight watcher version of vegetable soup.  Some of the ingredients were used from the garden such as garlic and green beans.  Unusually cold and snowy around these parts so hot soup is grrreat.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/10/2013, 7:57 pm

llama momma wrote:Today made the weight watcher version of vegetable soup.  Some of the ingredients were used from the garden such as garlic and green beans.  Unusually cold and snowy around these parts so hot soup is grrreat.

I remember that recipe.  Zero points!

Last edited by camprn on 12/10/2013, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/10/2013, 8:22 pm

That's the one!
Unlimited portions allowed, or until the digestive system revolts.  I like to add a little protein to it like grated cheese and a little slice of cheddar.

sfg smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/11/2013, 2:01 pm

llama momma wrote:That's the one!
Unlimited portions allowed, or until the digestive system revolts.  I like to add a little protein to it like grated cheese and a little slice of cheddar.

sfg smile

Does it make the digestive system Embarassed backfire as well  ????? Laughing 
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/11/2013, 2:11 pm

I think cabbage is a common cause of digestive upset for people.  I've been blessed with an old fashion constitution as the grandparents might say.  Some classy topic eh?    Razz
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 12/11/2013, 4:42 pm

plantoid wrote:
herblover wrote:It was a soup knid of weekend!  I made minestrone on Fri and chili on Sun

Would you please be so kind and put the recipe up in the recipe section please  as I'd love to have a minestrone recipe that works and someone has tested and survived from it   Laughing

Done!  Let me know if you have any questions.  The measurements are all US where T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon, and c=cup. 

Last edited by camprn on 12/11/2013, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 12/11/2013, 5:06 pm

herblover wrote:
plantoid wrote:

Done!  Let me know if you have any questions.  The measurements are all US where T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon, and c=cup. 

ohhhhh.... thanks herblover, I'm going over there to snag a copy for myself.  Smile 
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down