Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+91
TCgardening
nycquilter
svanahgirl129
Gilly21
NEWBIE99
GardenGroupie
68carguy
VJ72584
Windmere
jrfrommd
dilewis
FeedMeSeeMore
davecourington
sfgbeginner
Cajunsmoke14
GloriaG
AtlantaMarie
tagyourit
bonnie0128
kauairosina
Gardendog
dstack
Roseinarosecity
Applegate
AvaDGardner
GWN
pattipan
Cherbear
cyclonegardener
jimmy cee
2SooCrew
Nonna.PapaVino
sfgteachers
Pollinator
cheyannarach
Windsor.Parker
TxGramma
Pox
sfg4uKim
unit649
meatburner
boffer
Kelejan
wcfujita
Robind
jmsieglaff
greatgranny
Thomas
grownsunshine
pryz123
darci.strutt
landarch
mrwes40
jewlz2121
johnp
R&R 1011
WriterCPA
NAR56
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
brainchasm
Amethyst42
SalsaMom
donnainzone5
Cheryl5
simpletwist
Josh
yolos
quiltbea
Turan
walshevak
sarah465
mschaef
herblover
lyndeeloo
camprn
bnoles
plantoid
southern gardener
llama momma
FamilyGardening
kbshark
Dunkinjean
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Nicola
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
sanderson
RoOsTeR
mollyhespra
gwennifer
95 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  donnainzone5 12/18/2013, 3:47 pm

Those look scrumptious! Perhaps I could insulate my garage someday and utilize natural and grow lights and heaters and.... grow a dwarf navel orange tree! I could move it outside during warmer weather, then back inside at night.

Of course, all this could be a pipe dream (and I don't smoke!).
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  GWN 12/18/2013, 4:01 pm

wow Sanderson, thank you
SO fruit tree that fruits at christmas, what a dream…. I wonder if perhaps one could grow one indoors here, but then again it would take years
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Empty Eating tonight

Post  plantoid 12/18/2013, 7:25 pm

Earlier this evening I braved the slashing down sleet , rain & 40 mph gusts of it being driven into me by the wind to collect four carrots out an SFG bed for evening meal .

Despite wearing a water proof jacket , I got really wet & cold  because of big globs of sloppy sleet sliding off my bald head and going down my neck  Laughing .

Just the thing when you know you're going to be eating them with  braised beef in lovely gravy with mashed potatoes & the remainder of a savoy cabbage.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/18/2013, 7:39 pm

plantoid wrote:Earlier this evening I braved the slashing down sleet , rain & 40 mph gusts of it being driven into me by the wind to collect four carrots out an SFG bed for evening meal .

Ah, any carrots I have left are now under 6+ inches of snow. So, I had to dig in my freezer instead! Made vegetable beef soup with carrots and onions from my garden, potatoes and green beans from the store, and bay leaves from my sister's back yard.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/18/2013, 7:44 pm

plantoid wrote:...Despite wearing a water proof jacket , I got really wet & cold  because of big globs of sloppy sleet sliding off my bald head and going down my neck  Laughing ...

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 950477  Have you forgotten Rule 14, Paragraph III, that specifically addresses the dangers encountered by old bald guys like us who must subject ourselves to inclement weather in order to feed our families?

A Refresher:
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 12/18/2013, 7:55 pm

lol!  I sure hope them carrots were good.
I did a lot of that last year, but this year decided to go out on NICER days and pick a large bowl of them and then keep them in a crisper in my fridge. I have it lined with cloth and have devoted it to carrots. study 

GG….. having a ton of snow on your carrots is a good thing. We had a very cold snap here before we had 6 inches of snow… we had … say 4 inches and the other day I went out to dig them and they were frozen.
However I tried another bed… that I had covered the carrots with lotsa wood chips and those ones are not frozen,
What you need if first of all a snow shovel to get rid of the snow, then something sharp, like a pick ax to get through the first few inches of ice an below there are the carrots. carrot 
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/18/2013, 7:55 pm

boffer wrote:
plantoid wrote:...Despite wearing a water proof jacket , I got really wet & cold  because of big globs of sloppy sleet sliding off my bald head and going down my neck  Laughing ...

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 950477  Have you forgotten Rule 14, Paragraph III, that specifically addresses the dangers encountered by old bald guys like us who must subject ourselves to inclement weather in order to feed our families?

A Refresher:
 Very Happy  lol! 

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21552

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/18/2013, 8:04 pm

GWN wrote::
What you need if first of all a snow shovel to get rid of the snow, then something sharp, like a pick ax to get through the first few inches of ice an below there are the carrots. carrot 

I think there are only 2 carrots left, and with the tops broken off (that's why they are still in the ground) I would have to pick-ax 24 sq ft to find them. NOT happening!  rofl 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/18/2013, 8:09 pm

boffer wrote:

A Refresher:

funny post 

The hat blew away affraid
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/19/2013, 6:21 pm

GWN wrote:
However I tried another bed… that I had covered the carrots with lotsa wood chips and those ones are not frozen,

I want to do that! GWN, did you cover the carrot greens with the wood chips, or just around the greens? Do they continue to grow?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/23/2013, 7:39 pm

Do Orange Sprinkle Cookies count??  juice and zest from my orange tree.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Orange12

PS  I bought the large juicer at an antique store in NE OK about 10 years ago.  Best $5 or 10 spent as the oranges are too large for a lemon juice.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/25/2013, 9:45 am

Today I'll be bringing a garden fresh salad to Christmas lunch made with yesterdays harvested baby kale, spinach, collards & kohlrabi leaves from the SFG: What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 100_1212

Along with some parsley, tomatoes & romaine that I'll harvest shortly from the bay window garden, all growing in MM:
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 100_1213What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 100_1214

The rest of the day will consist of green smoothies to counter balance that pecan pie I know I won't be able to pass up!  What a Face 

Merry Christmas, Everyone!  And thanks for being you!
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Photo_17
CC & Miss Lilly
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/25/2013, 5:46 pm

We ate three different coloured carrots red , white and orange , a small parsnip and some  Brussels sprouts from out the beds with our Christmas day turkey lunch .

Used The All America canner to pressure cook the carcass for 8 imperial pints of stock after stripping off another four pounds of meat  for freezing .

If the hail and resultant ice holds off to night  I might make some parsnip and carrot soup tomorrow using stuff out the beds.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/1/2014, 11:42 am

Woops...almost forgot to take a photo...

The just harvested last of 3 indoor window grown Roma tomatoes with some just harvested Romaine lettuce:  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 100_1225
The parsley was just picked from the window garden, too.

Next fresh organic tomato will either be store bought  tongue or in July.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/1/2014, 2:24 pm

New years day dinner
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 IMG_0090_zps99fcadc7

Thin sliced oven roasted  smoked  salted butt pork , Brussels sprouts ( the garden ones have failed  Sad ) , parsnips ( none left in the garden  Sad ) courgette from a shop , three lumps of roast potatoes done in goosefat, roast parsnip also done in goose fat , two mini Yorkshire puddings and fairly thick home made gravy using some of the juices off the joint .

Only the carrot came out the garden  Sad
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/1/2014, 4:57 pm

We are STILL eating Brandywines off of that huge plant....link here

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t16455-loaded-brandywines?highlight=loaded+brandywines

We had a frost a few weeks ago, so picked all the green ones, and now the payoff!!

Here are the tomatoes and some DELICIOUS avocados from https://www.facebook.com/AvocadoDiva.  These avocados are "Esther" and are out of this world delish!!!

Here are the pics Smile Happy New Year!!

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Avosto10

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Curavo10
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Gardendog 1/1/2014, 5:24 pm

Being a southern person here is a list of items (all from my garden) that were a part of the first meal of the year:

Corn
Okra
Tomato
Black eye Pea
Onion
Greens
Cabbage
Blackberries

Thank God for canning and freezers, a person can eating from the garden year round.
Gardendog
Gardendog

Male Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/9/2014, 8:03 pm

We are having broccoli! My grandson was so happy to use a "real knife" and pic it! We planted in August and are finally getting to enjoy it Smile yummo!!

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Curbro10
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 1/9/2014, 10:12 pm

Roasted tomatillo salsa (from the freezer)--love that stuff!
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/10/2014, 10:21 am

After the bitter freeze in December 2013, even the kales from the garden are toast.  But we have lots of great canned and frozen produce from last summer.  Yesterday I used home canned tomatoes and home-grown garlic in Marcella Hazen's Pollo alla Cacciatora, or Hunter's Wife's Braised Chicken.  Yum! (the recipe is featured in the January 2014 issue of Saveur Magazine)  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/10/2014, 5:04 pm

The only things we had tonight of the garden was frozen giant runner beans  and home grown garlics , we're still getting through the smaller bulbs at the minute .

The rest of the meal was a five pound fresh chicken .. took the whole breast off it and also both legs. made a  roll of the breast with the skin on for a bit more flavour  then roasted them in a covered metal casserole dish in the oven , mashed potatoes and white Dutch cabbage with a lovely gravy .

The still fleshy frame of the chicken & plenty skin went into the slow cooker with 3/4 pound of chopped carrots , 3/4 pound red & white fine chopped onions , four sticks of celery cut fine, a few left over canned tomatoes out the fridge , four old whole tomatoes out the fridge ( well we needed the space )  and eight of those small garlic cloves I was on about  , finally 15 grams of cooking salt and 8 pints of water.

It smells delicious in the kitchen now the stock has been on seven hours on slow cooker auto ..
 I'll turn it off to-night and strain the stock off and can it tomorrow .
Any useful flesh ( there will be plenty ) and bits of veg will get whizzed up & souped with some of the left over mashed potato & a pint of skimmed milk for a quick tasty lunch tomorrow afternoon for all three of us when Munchkin come back blue in the face & half frozen to death from 3 hours stable craft & a horse riding /stable craft proficiency test .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/10/2014, 11:34 pm

Dinner from my garden: frozen broccoli and onions; fresh harvested carrots; stored potatoes and spaghetti squash.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Dscn3611

Some protein off the grill: country style pork ribs.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 Dscn3612
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2014, 2:32 am

A Testament to your garden and gardening skills.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/12/2014, 4:40 pm

I had a good harvest because I had good gardening weather this year.   Very Happy 

(I blame nearly everything on the weather when plants do poorly.  When things go well, it's only fair that  I give credit to the weather!)
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/12/2014, 6:08 pm

Lasagna  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 19 4022887542 is in the oven, made with my last bag of roasted tomatoes from the garden sobbing . This coming season I am doing less experiments with the 'maters and more of the paste varieties that I know do well for me and give LOTS of fruits.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next