Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+91
TCgardening
nycquilter
svanahgirl129
Gilly21
NEWBIE99
GardenGroupie
68carguy
VJ72584
Windmere
jrfrommd
dilewis
FeedMeSeeMore
davecourington
sfgbeginner
Cajunsmoke14
GloriaG
AtlantaMarie
tagyourit
bonnie0128
kauairosina
Gardendog
dstack
Roseinarosecity
Applegate
AvaDGardner
GWN
pattipan
Cherbear
cyclonegardener
jimmy cee
2SooCrew
Nonna.PapaVino
sfgteachers
Pollinator
cheyannarach
Windsor.Parker
TxGramma
Pox
sfg4uKim
unit649
meatburner
boffer
Kelejan
wcfujita
Robind
jmsieglaff
greatgranny
Thomas
grownsunshine
pryz123
darci.strutt
landarch
mrwes40
jewlz2121
johnp
R&R 1011
WriterCPA
NAR56
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
brainchasm
Amethyst42
SalsaMom
donnainzone5
Cheryl5
simpletwist
Josh
yolos
quiltbea
Turan
walshevak
sarah465
mschaef
herblover
lyndeeloo
camprn
bnoles
plantoid
southern gardener
llama momma
FamilyGardening
kbshark
Dunkinjean
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Nicola
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
sanderson
RoOsTeR
mollyhespra
gwennifer
95 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  llama momma 1/12/2014, 6:22 pm

Ditto here, I just put away the leftovers of lasagna dinner made with this summer's frozen roasted tomatoes.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  herblover 1/13/2014, 2:37 pm

Last nights Mexican Chicken and Cheese Bake had corn I had frozen (not from my garden but a local farmer) and Anaheim peppers from my garden.  The Mexican Coleslaw had jalapenos from the garden.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/18/2014, 8:39 pm

Tonight's chicken dinner included some items from the freezer/garden-- garlic scapes, roasted tomato sauce, basil, and yellow squash.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/18/2014, 8:52 pm

Oh that's funny.  I just cleaned out my freezer today and found a baggie of garlic scapes in there that I'd forgotten about.  They are thawing out in the fridge now for garlic hummus tomorrow.  Very Happy 

LM, I'll bet your tomato sauce is the ultimate!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/19/2014, 9:25 am

CC-
I don't know about it being the ultimate, but it was very tasty and doggone satisfying to know it was from my summer harvest in the backyard.  

I'd like to know if you got around to making the garlic scape hummus you mentioned and how it tasted.  I think the flavor of my scapes was pretty good but quite a bit milder than fresh scapes.  Maybe other flavors diluted it or the freezing-thawing process calmed it also? 
 thinking
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/19/2014, 11:13 am

I am continuing to have smoothies every morning with frozen fruit and carrots from my garden. AND every evening we are continuing to have some squash dish. It has been quite a challenge to have so many squash and having never really developed a taste for it before, that was my goal this year. I HAVE found an incredible recipe that is sort of like a chicken stew that called for kale, but instead of adding Kale at the end I add the squash at the beginning and stew it along with the chicken.  It is a chicken dijon stew. AND it calls for garlic and potatoes both of which also come out of my garden
THEN a few nights ago I made it without chicken, used portabello mushrooms instead of the chicken and added MOREL mushrooms that we had picked last spring.  The squash I have found tastes the very best with this is Delicata, which is the squash that has become my favourite. So of course I have ordered some for this year

chicken stew
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/19/2014, 1:58 pm

GWN, Can you post this in the recipe section? Others may love to be able to find it when they are looking for something to do with their potatoes and kale. I think the 2 go well together in soups.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/19/2014, 2:58 pm

I already saved that recipe to my computer!

A few years ago, I was mentally constructing something similar, only using kielbasa, rather than chicken. And it would have had a somewhat creamy texture.

Now, I KNOW I must grow kale this year!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/19/2014, 3:39 pm

We went to France this year and spent a week in Dijon.  We did a boat/bike tour and the cook on the boat made an incredible dijon soup it was delicious, but very creamy and rich, so I have been attracted to any recipes that contain Dijon.    I admit though I did not try it with Kale, but might.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/19/2014, 4:08 pm

llama momma wrote:CC-

I'd like to know if you got around to making the garlic scape hummus you mentioned and how it tasted.  I think the flavor of my scapes was pretty good but quite a bit milder than fresh scapes.  Maybe other flavors diluted it or the freezing-thawing process calmed it also? 
 thinking
I read your post right before I made the dip so I added another scape to it for a total of 2.  After the 2 scapes wrapped themselves around the blender blade shaft, I had to unwind them and cut them up.  The fresh ones just blend whole, but these pre-frozen ones were limp and didn't blend well until cut.  Live & learn.  The garlic flavor was perfect with 2, but there was also a minute limp green flavor, is the only way I can describe it, in the background that I could live without.  The rest of the frozen scapes will go into this weeks soup pot and I'll think twice before freezing them next year.  Using them fresh seems to be so much better.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/19/2014, 4:11 pm

GWN wrote:We went to France this year and spent a week in Dijon.  We did a boat/bike tour and the cook on the boat made an incredible dijon soup it was delicious, but very creamy and rich, so I have been attracted to any recipes that contain Dijon.    I admit though I did not try it with Kale, but might.

Rabbit in mustard sauce .... the food of kings ..( sounds like " Lapan a la meutard " )
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/19/2014, 5:00 pm

We had a nice roast beef & Yorkshire pudding today with curly kale and carrots out the garden , plus I nearly had a little more than everyone else.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 IMG_0115_zps54e4575a

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 IMG_0117_zps4d4d67a5

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 IMG_0116_zps4d8229c0

I couldn't stop laughing  for we've always heard the jokes about :- " What's worse  than finding a caterpillar in your cabbage "  , " Finding  half of one " .

I blame the catering staff and gardener who braved the sleet & rain to collect and prepare the kale ...

The funny thing was that it was on the way to going down the hatch when my wife spotted it in the kale on my fork  , had I had my spectacles on I might have found it first ..

Re enacting the pictures for the camera shots  was great fun .. I think it was the reason Munchkin didn't finish her favourite Sunday lunch . Laughing  Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/19/2014, 5:15 pm

OMG, David!  
 lol! 

Your post is right up my alley!

rofl 

All guffawing aside...did you eat it?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/19/2014, 5:20 pm

Plantoid, Thank you, thank you.  That was priceless!   Shocked   

Yorkshire pudding and roast beef, I haven't seen that since 1968 when I was a waitress at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Nat'l Park.  It always looked so good.

PS Would you be so kind as to post your recipe in the recipe area?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/19/2014, 5:33 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
llama momma wrote:CC-

thinking
I read your post right before I made the dip so I added another scape to it for a total of 2.  After the 2 scapes wrapped themselves around the blender blade shaft, I had to unwind them and cut them up.  The fresh ones just blend whole, but these pre-frozen ones were limp and didn't blend well until cut.  Live & learn.  The garlic flavor was perfect with 2, but there was also a minute limp green flavor, is the only way I can describe it, in the background that I could live without.  The rest of the frozen scapes will go into this weeks soup pot and I'll think twice before freezing them next year.  Using them fresh seems to be so much better.

CC

Thanks for these tips and insights! I made scape hummus for the first time last year and it was absolutely delicious, but very intense - especially since I am currently working in retail rofl . I would like to try freezing them, but after your description I think I will blend them up with some olive oil and then freeze them to see if that will preserve the flavor a bit while still mellowing them. Will post results next fall. Stay tuned...

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/19/2014, 6:11 pm

LOL plantoid! Was your little friend all cooked up? I wonder if it would have been harmful to eat him(her?).
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/19/2014, 6:53 pm

It was cooked for 6 min with the kale and hiding in  my portion of it ready for " slipping down the gulleyo with the gravyo "   Laughing .

It wouldn't have done me any harm , in survival training guys eat things like that raw on both the first and second time down  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 Empty from the garden in Hawaii today

Post  kauairosina 1/19/2014, 7:47 pm

Curly kale,calabash squash, eggplant, parsley, Malabar spinach,Serrano peppers, tree spinach (has to be cooked a long time and we haven't really incorporated it well), breadfruit, papaya and bananas (not from a sf bed of course).

We have Cassava ready to harvest but have to be prepared to do a lot of preparation to incorporate it into dinner. (for chips next time).

We are aiming to create a good enough food supply from the garden and our coming food forest to maintain us "if the boat don't come" as we are mostly dependent on imports and we sure do love Costco.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/19/2014, 8:04 pm

What is tree spinach? Is that malabar spinach? I think malabar vines up ...
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 Empty tree spinach

Post  kauairosina 1/19/2014, 8:09 pm

This stuff grows on a pretty large tree, now about 12-15 feet.  We got it as well as the malabar spinach and calabash squash from the yogis at the Hindu Temple here who have very good gardens.  There is probably another name for it.  As soon as I learn how to embed photos I will send a picture.  It is terribly hardy so we want to learn to use it.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/19/2014, 8:52 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:LOL plantoid!  Was your little friend all cooked up?  I wonder if it would have been harmful to eat him(her?).

New meaning to 'butterflies in the stomach'!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/19/2014, 8:57 pm

Wow so it really is a tree, not just "like" a tree, huh? That's cool indeed. Especially since trees have so many leaves and in Hawaii things grow so quickly your tree must be very productive! I'm definitely curious to see a pic. I lived in Hawaii for quite a few years.

How did you find malabar spinach? I'm really looking forward to growing it next year, but have never seen it or eaten it. Only bought a pack of seeds!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 Empty malabar spinach, et al

Post  kauairosina 1/19/2014, 9:48 pm

We got the Malabar spinach from the yogi's.  It is not my favorite since is somewhat mucilaginous like edible hibiscus. However, in both cases, young leaves, sliced thinly, mixed in with greens like kale and collards make it a nutritious addition.  It can really go crazy so we have to keep cutting it back.  

You probably know the saying "On the mainland you hire a gardener to grow stuff; in Hawaii you hire a gardener to cut things back."

When I learn to post pics I'll do so in the gallery.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 20 Empty also harvesting lilikoi - passion fruit

Post  kauairosina 1/19/2014, 9:52 pm

I put the pulp in the blender and then strain the seeds out.  It makes the most delicious desserts.  Look up "Appasionata;Ode to a Lilikoi".  I subject my friends to this poem before serving little lilikoi cheesecake tarts with lilikoi glaze on mac nut crust.  Did I see that there is a place for recipes on this site?  Don't see it right now.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/19/2014, 10:33 pm

It's there. Follow back to the root; it's down a good way from the top of the big page listing all the forums.

Your passionfruit cheesecake tart sounds pretty cool. I really miss the guavas from Hawaii, and especially the fresh-off-the-tree papaya. Store-bought hardly resembles the fresh ones. And mangos, but at least we can import them to the mainland.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next