Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? Toplef10Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? I22gcj10Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? Toplef10Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? I22gcj10Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat?

+4
camprn
plantoid
Gunny
NowWeAreFour
8 posters

Go down

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? Empty Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat?

Post  NowWeAreFour 2/18/2013, 3:36 pm

First, I'm so excited to be back here again! Last year DH and I started our first SFG, and we were overwhelmed with goodies all summer long! I learned so much just lurking here, and I'm looking forward to hanging out again Smile

OK, so... I've been trying to gather containers for reuse. Some are large enough that I could possibly start several seeds in them, but I'm not sure if that's wise. Will the roots get tangled up if I do that? I don't want to have to fight to get the roots apart without damaging them when it comes time to transplant. I'll use the smaller cells if I have to, but I'd have to buy new, and I was hoping to reuse as much as possible this year.

Also, I'm trying to reduce the amount of peat we use. I keep seeing people talking about starting seeds in toilet paper tubes and newspaper rolls instead of peat cells, and I like that idea. Have people had success with those methods? IIRC, the roots begin to make their way through the peat cell walls. Will the heavier paper impede that process? Is it possible to remove the soil ball (clump?) and seedling from a TP tube or newspaper cell easily for transplanting, or does it all turn into a mess?

And if I don't want to use a peat soil-starting medium, are there other options? I've heard that garden soil is too heavy for seed starting, but seeds that are direct sown in the beds do just fine. Could I just scoop some of my bed soil and use that?

Thanks, I appreciate any insight anyone can offer!
NowWeAreFour
NowWeAreFour

Back to top Go down

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? Empty Re: Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat?

Post  Gunny 2/18/2013, 4:19 pm

Hi there, the use of newspaper and tubes is great. You do not have to remove the plant from them. You just put the whole thing in your garden. It will break down so no worries and no mess. This comes from researching not from my own experience Laughing
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? Empty Re: Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat?

Post  plantoid 2/18/2013, 5:02 pm

NWAF

Use MM or vermiculite for the multiple seed sowing in the bigger pots .
When you come to the planting out , soak the pot up to the rim in air tem warm rain water for an hour or .... so you'll be able to almost pour the plants out .

Carefuly lift them up with a spoon don't damage the fine hair roots , stem or leaves , slip them into a well watered hole, then use the spooon to place a bit more MM to fill the hole and re water well .

Note for bigger slower growing plants such as melons & cutbits , use smaller 3 inch pots , for the big root systems they produce will definitel intertwine and have to be separated .
It's not usually very succesful to pot sow carrots and transplant them .

If you use Gunny's paper pot method , make sure that the top of the pot is slightly below the ground zero level or else the paper wil tend to draw up water out of the area like a wick , this often lead to poor plants . ( Guess how I know Embarassed )
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/18/2013, 5:15 pm

I usually sprout the seeds in trays then transplant the seedlings into cells when they are small.
The yellow tray on the right is what I have sprouted the tomato seeds in and transferring into the tray of individual cells on the left. This photo from 3/29/11.
Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? Img_0011

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/18/2013, 5:22 pm

plantoid wrote:NWAF

Use MM or vermiculite for the multiple seed sowing in the bigger pots .
When you come to the planting out , soak the pot up to the rim in air tem warm rain water for an hour or .... so you'll be able to almost pour the plants out .

Carefuly lift them up with a spoon don't damage the fine hair roots , stem or leaves , slip them into a well watered hole, then use the spoon to place a bit more MM to fill the hole and re water well .

Note for bigger slower growing plants such as melons & cutbits , use smaller 3 inch pots , for the big root systems they produce will definitely intertwine and have to be separated .
It's not usually very succesful to pot sow carrots and transplant them .

If you use Gunny's paper pot method , make sure that the top of the pot is slightly below the ground zero level or else the paper will tend to draw up water out of the area like a wick , this often lead to poor plants . ( Guess how I know Embarassed )
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/18/2013, 7:44 pm

You don't need garden soil to start seed, and shouldn't. You can introduce disease if you use outdoor garden soil. Indoors one has to depend on artificial light or low light from windowsills. Not so in the garden area which gets strong sunlight. The soil for seed starting indrs should be very light and not a potting mix, just a seed starting mix. The seedling just needs to get itself started.

If you start several seeds in a 4" pot or container, they will do fine for germination. You will be transplanting them into their own cells/pots shortly after they germinate so their roots will be very light and thin and not tangly.

Some crops dislike having their roots disturbed at all in which case starting them in individual cells that can be cut away when transplanting outdoors might work best for you.

If you use peat pots or tissue rolls or newspaper pots, you can always cut them away when you transplant outdoors if you are worried about them not disintegrating, tho if wet when planted, and the tops buried below the soil, they should degrade quite easily and not interfere with the new root growth. Personally I think I would cut away most of a peat pot. They take considerable time to degrade.

There are many different techniques to start seeds and gardeners each find the way that works best for them. Try a couple of different things and see how you like them and make your favorite choice later.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/18/2013, 8:29 pm

Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/19/2013, 1:46 pm

I use anything that's handy rather than buy more stuff. I like best the large clam paks that 1 lb of Spring Mix lettuce comes in as I can mass plant seeds in them and also close the lid for a 'greenhouse' affect til the seeds sprout. They also hold 3 6-pak cells so I can add water to the bottom instead of watering from the top.

Here's what I did yesterday:Seed starting ??s: In larger containers rather than cells? Alternatives to peat? Photo110

There are also 3 more 6-paks of seeds inside a clam pak sitting on a heating pad, not shown in the photo, but 2 clam paks fit on that heating pad just fine. When dividing mass planted seeds, like I did yesterday, I use a plastic fork and spoon to dig out, separate and lift them.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 2/19/2013, 10:58 pm

I agree that peat pots do wick the moisture away from the plant if any of the pot is above the surface and I also think they restrict the roots because they take so long to break down. Learned from experience also. I did do the TP roll method and had good results. I cut away the roll when I transplanted because I didn't trust it to not hinder the growth of the roots into the adjoining soil. If I use them again, I would soak the whole roll and get it good and soggy and then remove it from the root ball. I didn't then but I would now since I have learned more.

I mostly just repeated what others said, didn't I? Rolling Eyes
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down