Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame Toplef10What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame I22gcj10What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame Toplef10What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame I22gcj10What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame

+9
CindiLou
Turan
Kelejan
Lindacol
bnoles
quiltbea
camprn
Hoggar
bvarbel
13 posters

Go down

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame Empty What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame

Post  bvarbel 1/15/2013, 10:46 am

I'm not handy. I am almost done with the "new" book. I went to home depot yesterday and told them I need 4 wooden boards that are 6 inches high and 48 inches long. The man in lumber said that the 6" board is really 5.5" and he showed me with a tape measure.

I was so confused. I know there are 8" boards, but those are too big, no?

Also, I don't know anything about brackets. Why can't I just hammer a bunch of nails into the frame.

Also, how do I keep the price down for the soil additives. I am composting, but that's nowhere near ready. Also...dividing 8 cubic feet by 3 gives an unround number. I can buy 2 cu ft of any of the components. Having to buy more, leaves me with waste.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to go out and build this thing this week. Any help on keeping the cost of soil down would be appreciated as well.
bvarbel
bvarbel

Male Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame Empty Re: What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame

Post  Hoggar 1/15/2013, 11:43 am

I just use the 2" x 8" boards which are actualy 1 1/2" x 7 1/4" x 8',
The only measurement that actually is what it says, is the footage. But It does vary slightly around the country. Most mills belong to some sort of grading organization, which tells you the sizes dressed lumber needs to be. NELMA (Northeast Lumbermans Association). standards a dry piece of 2" x 8" should be dressed to 1 1/2" x 7 1/4", but a green piece (not dry) is dressed to 1 9/16" x 7 1/2". A 1" x 8" dry is 3/4" x 7 1/4" and green 3/4" x 7 1/2". A 1" x 4" dry is 3/4" x 3 1/2" and green 3/4" x 3 9/16".

Just cut 2, 8' boards in half and and make your boxes. You don't have to fill your boxes to the top just put in your 6 inches of MM and call it good. As for mixing your own MM just stay as close to the instructions in the book as possible, there is never any waste when using gardening supplies, just stow them and use them as needed. I gave up on mixing my own and started buying it from a local supplier. Its a wash in my area as far as cost.

You don't need to buy brackets I use Plumbers tape and cut it to length then I use Deck screws to put every thing together.
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame Empty Re: What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame

Post  camprn 1/15/2013, 12:20 pm

Because the Mel's Mix settles I usually go with the 8" boards. They sell them in 8 foot or 12 foot lengths. They will cut them for you at HD. So...

I want to build a 4' X 4' bed. I buy two 2x8 eight foot long. Don't forget your deck screws.

The best way to keep the cost of making the mix down is finding free compost.
Look on Craig's list for dairy or horse farms, goat farms, chicken farms. Call them up and ask if they have free or inexpensive composted manure.

The absolute worst way to keep costs down is to use less types of compost then recommended. You NEED 5 DIFFERENT TYPES of compost to go into your mix.

There will be no waste; you will use all your mix in the garden.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/15/2013, 12:34 pm

bvarbel....Welcome to the forum. You'll have lots of questions and the search feature on the left will help if you just type in a word or two.
The brackets strengthen your corners so they don't come apart but of course, you can do with or without them. I would definitely get the brackets and deck screws. That soil is a lot of weight pressing outwards against the boards.
Ask for brackets at the building store. The package will show you how to add them.
What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame Coldfr13
See the smaller brackets I screwed inside this cold frame? I put two small ones at each corner. They come in all sizes.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 1/15/2013, 12:38 pm

Hi bvarbel and welcome to the SFG forum.

I totally agree with everyone else in recommending the 2" X 8" to build your frames with. I also agree with following Mel's recipe mix for the best results possible. Do not fret over having too much as you can always store the excess to add to the box when you are doing new plantings as detailed out by Mel in his book. Yes... it is somewhat expensive in the beginning, but keep in mind this is a one time only investment and you will reap dividends aplenty in the future.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are progressing.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame Empty Awesome

Post  bvarbel 1/15/2013, 12:47 pm

That advice to buy 8" boards helps immensely. I realize this is a 1 time investment per box. Thank you again. I'm going to put this together this week.

Brian..
bvarbel
bvarbel

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 1/15/2013, 1:02 pm

If you just hammer in nails instead of using a screws you will likely split the wood(and bend a lot of nails). A drill also comes in handy for drilling starter holes and putting the screws in. I would suggest some sort of corner brackets - there are many different types.

Also if you want to make a trip down the hill to Bloomington, just north of Riverside, I have some nearly done compost that I would be willing to share with you to help you get started. And an unlimited supply of goat manure mixed with some alfalfa to start your own compost pile.

Linda
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/15/2013, 1:03 pm

I would like to amend the statement 'a one time investment'. Yes, it's true this is the box that will hold your garden,if you use pine boards, those should last about 5 years. If you start your own compost, you wont have to buy more. BUT, you will need to add compost to the garden at each planting and every year.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  bvarbel 1/15/2013, 1:11 pm

Lindacol wrote:
Also if you want to make a trip down the hill to Bloomington, just north of Riverside, I have some nearly done compost that I would be willing to share with you to help you get started. And an unlimited supply of goat manure mixed with some alfalfa to start your own compost pile.

Linda

That is very generous of you. I know where Bloomington is, I used to go to school in the Fontana Unified School District 30 years ago :-) I will keep you in mind. I will probably just buy the 5 types of compost just to get started...although I did start a bin a couple months ago with kitchen waste and lots of leaves....its a bit slow going. I expect more when it warms up a bit and I can add some green waste as well. I should have compost for subsequent additions to the garden though.

Last edited by camprn on 1/15/2013, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)
bvarbel
bvarbel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/15/2013, 2:11 pm

Welcome, bvarbel happy hi

As you need to purchase most of your compost so that you can get started at once, please read the ingredients on each different bag. The makeup of the contents vary greatly, and you don't want too much peat or fillers as it will throw off your Mel's Mix and give you disappointing results.
If you read Compost 101 on this site, you will learn a lot from all the comments our members make . Many of them write about the mistakes they made, so we can learn from them instead of making our own expensive errors.
On the other hand, any mistakes made by you, you will remember. I hope. Very Happy
If you have any shortage of MM ingredients, the one thing you should not skimp on is compost, because there is no nutrition in vermiculate and not very much in peat. I know from experience about skimping on compost because that is what I did my first year.
Better to have one box mixed good, than two or more only half done.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6014

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/15/2013, 2:26 pm

Lindacol wrote:

Linda

glad you\'re here bvarbel

If you can, take Lindacol up on her generous offer of fresh living compost, or any other you can find that is similar. Home grown compost seems worth much more than the abused bagged stuff at big box stores.

Don't fuss too much about your boxes. If you look around you will find here working examples ranging from old cabinets laying on their backs to cement blocks to mortored bricks to stacked 2X4s to the raised bed kits found at HD. A lot of people find a 3' width is easier than 4', depends on arm length and flexibility. They all hold soil and can be divided into rough sq feet.

Good luck and enjoy flower

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2624

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/15/2013, 2:51 pm

I would advise you to get the compost Linda has. Homemade compost works so much better than the store bought!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/15/2013, 5:07 pm

bvarbel wrote:..although I did start a bin a couple months ago with kitchen waste and lots of leaves....its a bit slow going. I expect more when it warms up a bit and I can add some green waste as well. I should have compost for subsequent additions to the garden though.
If you want more information on how to get your compost going check out the Compost 101 thread in the Compost subforum.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/15/2013, 5:57 pm

bvarbel,

Your general area (Corona/Bloomington/Ontario) is an area where much livestock is grown. Why not check around? You should be able to obtain cheap or free horse, cow, sheep, or even turkey manure.

Then there are always the ubiquitous chicken, steer, and mushroom composts, typically available at plant nurseries and sometimes even Big Box stores.

Also, there's a U-Line facility in Corona or Ontario that sells coarse-grade vermiculite in 4-cubic-foot bags. Check out the website, evaluate the pricing, order ahead to save shipping costs, and pick the bags up the next day!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2667

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 1/15/2013, 9:55 pm

I agree with getting the compost from Linda. Something I have done to get manure is take some black garbage bags and a shovel and go to someone who has farm animals and ask if you can have some of their manure. You don't have to have a truck to get what you need. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/16/2013, 10:24 am

I didn't mean to exclude lindacol's compost. I just wasn't certain how many different materials it contained.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2667

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Turnip 1/27/2013, 9:35 pm

Now that we are talking compost...I just took you all's advise and looked on Craigslist. Free horse manure. Is that something I should get in on? I have a compost bin and plenty of 'browns' but need more 'greens'..there is a goat farm behind me and I plan on talking to my neighbor about getting old goat/sheep/chicken/geese bedding and/or manure. If I can get that combo, plus my varied leaf 'browns', do I need to add anything more to get my own blend for the MM?

I will also start up a worm box..I need to do a little more research on it then get the red worms..

I'm new to the SFG method and am trying to get the compost started at home so I can be ready later on. I am currently buying the various bags of stuff, besides using my existing browns. I just bought the house, so everything is in the planning stage!

Thanks!

What do I tell the folks at home Depot I need for my Frame 1280598131 Turnip
Turnip
Turnip

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/28/2013, 6:06 am

If you can get enough of the listed variety of manures, bedding, yard and kitchen trimmings, and browns all composted you have a good compost for your beds. Happy gardening

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/28/2013, 12:44 pm

Turnip wrote:Now that we are talking compost...I just took you all's advise and looked on Craigslist. Free horse manure. Is that something I should get in on?
Turnip

The only concern about the manures and bedding is if there is any persistent herbicides. Hay seems to be the biggest source, so you need to ask if the hay fed had been sprayed. Clues to look for are if there is any broad leaf weed growth on the old bedding pile.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2624

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down