Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pay for someone else to have Compost Toplef10Pay for someone else to have Compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pay for someone else to have Compost I22gcj10Pay for someone else to have Compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pay for someone else to have Compost Toplef10Pay for someone else to have Compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pay for someone else to have Compost I22gcj10Pay for someone else to have Compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pay for someone else to have Compost

+4
Nonna.PapaVino
RoOsTeR
Kelejan
Cincinnati
8 posters

Go down

Pay for someone else to have Compost Empty Pay for someone else to have Compost

Post  Cincinnati Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 am

Yep. I stumbled on this:

You pay $32/mo. This company puts a "bin" at your house for you to toss in your compostable ingredients. They pick it up and make compost. You can earn up to 50 pounds of compost per year, depending on how much ingredients you provide. And if you don't need it, they give it to a farm.

http://compostcab.com/
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Pay for someone else to have Compost Empty Re: Pay for someone else to have Compost

Post  Kelejan Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 am

GIVE it to a farm?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Pay for someone else to have Compost Empty Re: Pay for someone else to have Compost

Post  RoOsTeR Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:27 am

Why not. One of the great benefits of living in a free country is the opportunities it provides. I give the creator credit and hope they can make it work! Free enterprise!!! Gotta love it Very Happy
Not everyone is as "composting" inclined and creative as us gardeners. Some folks out there might find it gives them peace of mind to keep some things out of their local landfill and return things to the earth in a natural, nutritious state Laughing Maybe they don't need the compost, and don't feel like constructing some type of structure that may not be as eye appealing as a few pallets or welded wire offers Razz Different strokes for us all and perhaps a luxury and peace of mind to the buyer. Really, if you think about it, there's not much difference of this and the yard waste recycle bins that are offered (for $$) in just about every jurisdiction these days. You pay to dump your grass clippings and leaves etc and its composted and usually sold.

Pay for someone else to have Compost Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 am

Good, thoughtful answer, Rooster. Better than my off-the-cuff answer. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 am

Before getting the compost back, I'd want to know if the landscaping waste in the mix was chemical-free. Some lawn care companies use rather toxic stuff to kill weeds, etc. These chemicals could cause problems in an organic garden. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Nonna, you yourself would not have any of that compost because you will make your own compost.

If I obtained the similar compost that our city produces from their collections, I would perhaps be prepared to put the compost in a worm pile and let the worms work their magic on it. But even then I think I would only allow it to go on flower beds and lawns, not veggie plots.

Incidently, in our city we are lucky that we do not have to pay to dump our garden waste, we have two free collections per year abnd also at any time we can take it to a central spot and dump it there for nothing.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Yep, one reason we compost: local garbage haulers charge to haul yard waste away; another reason: 30 acres can handle a lot of yard waste. Last summer, we had some problem trees removed. The logger brought up a honkin' big chipper and proceeded to shred all limbs/leaves and anything else that couldn't be sawn into fireplace logs. Tall Paul (the logger) pulled it up near the garden for shredding and dumped three large piles of chips for me. I've used one pile to cover weed barrier paths in garden, but the other two heated up like the leaves were compostng. Don't know how long it'll take to become wood waste compost; but we're retired, we can wait. Nonna & PapaVino
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Nonna, In my experience it takes 3-5 years for wood chips to become compost depending on the type of wood and how large the chips are. My last tree trimming in 2010 resulted in 20 yards of chipped debris (Douglas Fir and some Maple). I would say that approx 1/3 has broken down as of November 2012. Those big piles steam and run HOT for months and in my case became a play ground for the chickens during their bug hunts.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Pay for someone else to have Compost Empty That's Expensive Stuff

Post  CaptainKidney Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:23 am

$32/month = $384 in a year. At that price, you could buy a super duper composter and be assured of the quality of compost that you used.
CaptainKidney
CaptainKidney

Male Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 pm

We have three separate large receptacles here and each has their own color, one for regular garbage, one for recycle, and one for grass, leaves, etc. Then every Tuesday three trucks come to pick up their particular load. We are lucky here, at least in my city. I am not sure if all cities in Utah do this. On a side note, at the landfill they have a recycle shed that has yard chemicals, fertilizers, paint, etc. for free.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Wow, HappyCamper, that long? Guess I'll find more aisles to cover with the chips, and count on the regular compost piles for the time being. Perhaps leave one of the wood chip piles as a test to see how long it takes here on Yankton Mountain. Thanks for the info. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Pay for someone else to have Compost Empty Re: Pay for someone else to have compost

Post  GloriaG Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:36 am

Just a thought - This company is in the north eastern US where there are lots of large cities, small yards and apartment dwellers. For urbanites who are eco-friendly and growing on a patio, balcony or deck, etc. this might be a better alternative than having to dispose of compostable waste in the trash. Smile
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum