Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? Toplef10How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? I22gcj10How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? Toplef10How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? I22gcj10How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost?

+4
camprn
CapeCoddess
quiltbea
bvarbel
8 posters

Go down

How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? Empty How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost?

Post  bvarbel 1/27/2013, 12:08 pm

I'm still working on getting things going with my compost. In an earlier post I asked how to make it hot.

Lets say I get it going and I'm turning it and everything. As I turn it, finished compost is getting mixed around with new material. How do I separate the good stuff.

Also we drink a crazy amount of coffee and a huge amount of material is coffee grounds. If what I see as finished compost has bits of uncomposted coffee grounds is that going to be a problem.
bvarbel
bvarbel

Male Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? Empty Re: How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost?

Post  quiltbea 1/27/2013, 3:13 pm

If you can, keep your composts separated. I have a compost pile where I add everything; from the kitchen, the garden, leaves, coffee grounds, ground eggshells, egg cartons and torn cardboard, newspaper, etc. I keep bags of fall leaves separate and top off my pile whenever I add some kitchen waste. Keeps it covered and animals away from the pile. Besides, the leaves are a great addition to keep a higher brown ratio, which I prefer.

I keep my 2nd pile, my finishing pile, separate. Mine happens to be a compost barrel the last couple of years. I fill the thing to the top and then keep it turned and watered and don't use any of it til its finished.

Or you can make a separate pile (at least 3 x 3 ft) of everything, then stop. Water it now and then, turn it when you can, and let it decompose without adding anything but water. When its done, add it to your garden.

Then start again.

I don't believe a little unfinished coffee grounds will hurt your garden. Just toss any large bits back into the composter to finish with the next batch.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? Empty Re: How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost?

Post  CapeCoddess 1/27/2013, 4:50 pm

I have 2 piles going most of the time. If you look at my avatar, the pile on the left is the finished pile. I stopped adding to it around end of summer, but kept turning it until recently. So it was usable for this fall and winter, and the rest will be used for spring and summer. If there were still coffee grounds in it, I didn't see them.

When I stopped adding to the pile on the left, I started a new pile next to it - the pile on the right in my avatar - using all my kitchen scraps, seaweed and such. Later I turned the fall leaves & garden clean up waste into it as I mowed & cut them up. I'll continue to add to it until the end of this coming summer. It will be ready for use in the garden next fall, winter, spring, summer.

And on and on it goes...heading into my 9th composting year. I love you

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? Empty 2 piles--what about 1

Post  bvarbel 1/27/2013, 4:57 pm

I see that you are recommending multiple piles, adding to one until its full, and starting a new one.

Based on this, I would guess that I could just bring my pile till its full and stop adding to it at some point.

I'm glad to know bits of coffee grounds probably won't hurt anything.

I'm new to this, but its so fun, and I love showing people my pile. Its not hot and steamy yet, but its doing something and smells earthy.

I'm going to give a mini presentation to a local girl scout troop. They are interested in how composting works and about conservation of natural resources, recycling, reusing, saving water, and all that jazz.
bvarbel
bvarbel

Male Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/27/2013, 4:59 pm

Once the compost pile has cooled and is not generating anymore heat I consider it finished. It is then that I add it to the garden. Any large or bulky or obviously uncomposted items get tossed back into the bin.

I don't have the patience to sift it. Any thing in the compost that is small and not completely rotten will continue to compost within the garden. And the worms will love it. I love you

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How do you separate finished compost from ongoing compost? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 1/27/2013, 5:53 pm

We never sifted until this season. We made a "tray" out of hardware cloth/rabbit wire. It's about 1 foot by 2 feet with about a 3" lip all around to keep the compost from falling over the edge. My nephew and his friend sifted the entire pile in about 20 minutes! They put the "tray" over a 50 gallon barrel, one put the compost in the tray by shovel full while the other shook the "sifter" over the barrel. We had 3 barrels full in no time. Sure was nice to have it all "nice" and evenly composted. cheers The stuff that was too big just went into the "cooking" compost pile. carrot carrot
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/27/2013, 6:52 pm

I get used coffee grounds from Starbucks. Their label on the used coffee grounds says,

"Coffee grounds are a nutritional additive for your soil. During the brewing process, most of the acidity is removed, leaving used grounds with an average ph of 6.9 and a carbon-nitrogen ratio of 20-1.
Add grounds directly to your garden. Apply this "green" material as a side dressing to nitrogen loving plants, including most perennials and allium plants. Balance the nutrition of your soil with "brown" materials such as leaves or dried grass.
Or to your compost. Combine with "brown" materials in your compost pile. Use grounds within 2-3 weeks of brewing to capture the most nutritional value."
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 1/28/2013, 9:51 am

I prefer seperate piles...once a pile it to the proper size or fills the bin, I stop adding new material so the pile can at some point be finished and usable. Once a pile is done and usable, I store in large plastic containers (old cattle mineral tubs) to free up space to repeat the process.

I've only been doing SFG for a couple years, I so am not really dialed in to the amount of compost I need on hand for spring, summer, and fall gardening for the number of squares I have ( 140). I think one can never have enough compost.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guinevere 10/19/2023, 10:56 pm

This was the most useful thread on composting I have yet read.  Exactly answered most of my questions.  Smile
Guinevere
Guinevere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down