Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 Toplef10How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 I22gcj10How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 Toplef10How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 I22gcj10How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9

3 posters

Go down

How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 Empty How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9

Post  Ericka2385 8/13/2012, 9:01 pm

Hello...

So... to get to the quick of it, I want a root cellar, but I live in FL. Most guidance I can find on creating spaces to store root vegetables is for the rest of the country with four seasons. I don't think it works for our climate because our temperatures are just too high most of the year, plus we have that 'rainy season' thing that comes through every year.

I'd like to dry and hang onions and garlic, we go through more onions and garlic than anything. I'd also like to store carrots, potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and then a way to harden and store winter squash.

Here's what I'm working with.
I'm in Zone 9, not too far from Tampa. I'm in a house, we have an un-airconditioned garage, an attic, a spare bedroom/office, so there would be some space to put something there.

Here's what I've come up with so far, I've thought about getting some under the bed storage containers, fill them with sand, store veggies in them in the coolest room in the house. It'd be easy to get to get to, and easy to check once a week to make sure nothing is rotting. I'm thinking the root veggies could store this way, and then maybe a second container for onions/garlic, if I can't store them another way...

I have no idea how/where to store winter squash, which is a favorite in our house. I'd love to have it close to year round...

How do other gardeners who live in a hotter climate store these types of vegetables? Help me, please.
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 Empty Re: How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9

Post  littlesapphire 8/13/2012, 9:34 pm

I did a quick google search for Florida root cellar and csme up with this discussion on Mother Earth News forum.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/forums/forum.aspx?boardid=1202&g=posts&t=95402

They give a couple of good suggestions for things you could do and things you shouldn't do. But the person near the end kind of says what I'm thinking. Root cellars need to be cold, not just cool. Some websites say a root cellar should be between 32 and 40 degrees. The point of a root cellar in the north is to keep things from freezing, but cold enough so it'll keep through the long cold winter when nothing grows.

How cold does it get there in the winter? If you can keep your rigged root cellar cold, then I say go for it. Otherwise, you may need to consider other ways of preservation, like canning, dehydrating. Or you can use the modern root cellar... a refrigerator! Very Happy
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9 Empty Re: How to make a 'root cellar', in Zone 9

Post  Ericka2385 8/13/2012, 9:47 pm

The discussion there looks like some others I've read, but I haven't seen that one, thank you for helping me look.

It will get cold here, but from the couple of 'winters' I've been in FL, it's been hit or miss. A couple of years ago, I actually sat by the edge of a pool working on my tan, in the middle of December. The following year all we heard about on the news was protecting the strawberries from the freezes coming though.

I am planning on doing some canning and freezing, but I was hoping to keep somethings in tact. Like onions... well, I guess if nothing else I could dice/slice them, freeze them, and they would work that was in most things...

I do have a feeling the end result will be buying another fridge for the garage, and storing the root veggies in there. I've been reluctant about buying one, because the thought of powering another appliance just doesn't sit well with me.

I'm just throwing my final call help hoping there are some dry storage solutions...
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 8/14/2012, 12:46 pm

i try to spread out my food storage so that it is available in various configurations--frozen, canned, dehydrated, and dry stored/root cellared. not every food works in every preservation method, so for example i don't have any canned onions, but i have plenty frozen and dehydrated and dry stored.

some folks i know use an old fridge, unplugged, as a root cellar. i'm not sure how that would work in a hot or humid environment, but if you can lay it on its back and bury it or surround it with insulation to keep it cooler (i'm thinking hay bales or the like), it would work well for most things.

winter squashes keep fine in an attic or pantry. harden them outside if possible.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down