Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
RIP Cucumbers... Toplef10RIP Cucumbers... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

RIP Cucumbers... I22gcj10RIP Cucumbers... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
RIP Cucumbers... Toplef10RIP Cucumbers... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

RIP Cucumbers... I22gcj10RIP Cucumbers... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

RIP Cucumbers...

+5
littlejo
GWN
southern gardener
CapeCoddess
Miss Erica
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RIP Cucumbers... Empty RIP Cucumbers...

Post  Miss Erica 6/14/2012, 7:51 pm

In the space of a week - my beautiful cucumbers went from lush green plants to being mostly dead (I think) I took these pictures a few days ago - it's even worse now...
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0110
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0111
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0113
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0114

Found this on one leaf - no clue what it is or what caused it...
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0115
We do have a bunch of these bugs - I thought they were Asian ladybugs and would be good for pollination - but wondering if they might be the problem... does anyone recognize them?
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0116

I am really discouraged... I was so excited to go out to the garden every day and see what had changed - this is the first time I have done the garden thing... I had tons of cucumbers coming along - now they are all either full of holes or just rotted away. My Zukes and Toms are having Blossom End Rot issues too. I've gotten a couple zukes from one plant and about a half dozen cukes before this happened - but I am losing hope that this garden thing is going to work in this hyper-tropical climate.

Help?
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

RIP Cucumbers... Empty Re: RIP Cucumbers...

Post  CapeCoddess 6/14/2012, 8:17 pm

Oh, that's just heartbreaking, Miss Erica. You're 2nd photo looks like what happened to my hosta hedge that is in the sun. I thought they looked sunburned. Were your cucs in full sun?

I'm a first time SFG so I'm looking forward to what others have to say about this. All I can say to you is don't give up...failures are a learning experience, and help us become better gardeners..

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 6/14/2012, 8:23 pm

Here's pics from today...
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0117
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0118

They are indeed in full sun... this close to the equator - that is pretty much unavoidable. It is also pretty windy here - but this looks like something is chomping on it pretty significantly. Can sun/wind cause that kind of damage?
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 6/14/2012, 9:13 pm

oh man, that is discouraging. Look on the back of the leaves, and see if you can find some critters there? Also, look at night to see if anything is happening. We found earwigs all over at night, they were like mini lumberjacks chopping down stuff. I don't think this is what you have tho. I'm sorry for your problem. We are having a lot of probs too, hoping for some help....
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 6/14/2012, 9:22 pm

The only bugs I have seen (other than the one pictured) are grasshoppers. LOTS of grasshoppers that are about 2-3 inches long. That could explain the damage on the edges of the leaves - but not the damage "inside" the leaves. Wouldn't explain the holes bored into the cucumbers either, would it? I did get some spinosade and tried spraying that when things started to go downhill - didn't stop the slide. The one other person I know here who does SQF (ScottinGuam) who lives a few miles from me said he had some issues with some sort of grubs/slugs all over the roots of some plants he pulled out of his garden. I haven't pulled anything out of the ground yet - so I don't know if that could be the problem...
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 6/14/2012, 9:52 pm

i cant tell from the pics if there are "slime" trails, or if it's a partially eaten leaf. The pics of the bottom of your plants look like snail/slug damage. You should see them at night or early in the morning if so. I've never seen them go that high on a plant tho..normally lower on the plant. Let me know what you see tonight. I think that "mush" on the leaf is a caterpillar etc eating and "dropping" on the leaf. Look above where you see the mess, and see if you spot anything. I hope you find out...I know it's discouraging, but keep trying!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/14/2012, 10:36 pm

From your pictures I would find that leaves concerning, however I find (and I will NEVER understand this) that the stalk at the base can look as worn out and damaged and STILL maintain a healthy plant.
I see it with the squashes all the time, the base of the stem looks totally worn out and dead, yet the rest of the plant does just fine.

I am always trying to figure out how a plant can survive when the base of the stem looks dead, but they do.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/14/2012, 10:40 pm

OH and the OTHER thing is the end blossom rot.
For the first few years I just thought that they were dying by rotting on the ends, but what was happening is that they were females and had NOT been fertilized by a male flower.
They just start to grow and then start rotting from one end.
Q tips can solve this
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 6/14/2012, 10:42 pm

GWN wrote:OH and the OTHER thing is the end blossom rot.
For the first few years I just thought that they were dying by rotting on the ends, but what was happening is that they were females and had NOT been fertilized by a male flower.
They just start to grow and then start rotting from one end.
Q tips can solve this

How big would they get if that were the case? The zukes were about 6-7 inches long before it started and the tomatoes were at about 2 inch diameter (solid green - no ripening at all)
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 6/14/2012, 10:45 pm

Well, I'll give a try to help.

First, for the blossom end rot, either some powdered milk around the plants or some cheap antacid tablets(the ones that have calcium in them) dissolve in some water and put around plants.

I would say your cukes have a very bad bug problem. My pumpkins had the same look today. First I sprayed with some soapy water. That brought the bugs out that were causing the problem. They were absolutly thick, stinkbugs/squash bugs. I used a spray I had on hand that had pyrthins(bad spelling) and neem oil. The spinosad should help too. I don't know about that bug you have in the pic, or if some other bug would damage the fruit? Depends on what bug comes out of hiding with the soapy water.

You can put a piece of board or cardboard on the soil during the day when it's hot. Whatever you have in the soil will come up to hide under during the day, possibly slugs or milipedes if you have them there? I have milipedes in my strawberries, and as of yet have found nothing to kill them.

If the slugs or other bugs make a hole in fruit, the milipedes will eat the inside of fruit.

You might take 1 of the fruit that has a spot/hole and cut it open with a knife, you might find your culprit inside, I did with the strawberries!

I won't know til tomm. if the spray will help my pumpkins. They looked a little bit worse than your cukes.

I hope that you can get a handle on this. Most vegetation grows good near the equater.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/14/2012, 11:01 pm

How big would they get if that were the case? The zukes were about 6-7 inches long before it started and the tomatoes were at about 2 inch diameter (solid green - no ripening at all)
This would just be the case for the zucchinis as this is not the issue with tomatoes, as they are self pollinating.
In my case they usually get to be about 4 inches long before they begin to rot, if it is from lack of pollination.

It DOES seem like you have been invaded. Do you live in a moist area, because SLUGS even small ones, can cause that sort of damage.
The slugs in Oregon were huge, but only came out at night, we have very small slugs here, but they also do damage.
My DH goes out at night with a flashlight to catch them and crush them.
However if it were slugs, the ends of the zucchinis would have been eaten away instead of rotting away though.
I guess I feel at a loss because of how far away I live, but I certainly feel for you
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 6/14/2012, 11:13 pm

oh yes... very wet. and very hot. It rains almost every day here - although not for long. I haven't seen any slugs (at least - I haven't seen any slug trails like I am used to seeing in the Seattle area). My friend was going to put some "slug killer" on his garden - will ask him if it did any good. I guess the big question is that if they are this far gone... I don't see a single leaf that isn't damaged in some way - is there any hope to save them or should I rip them out and start over? That is the one good thing about this climate. 365 days of growing season! Although now that we are moving into typhoon season - it is only going to be getting windier and wetter and hotter....
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/14/2012, 11:32 pm

Personally I would leave them, I would be interested in others views (I am not totally sure where Santa Rita is, sorry for my lack of knowledge)
However I believe that the healthier the plant is the more likely it is to survive the pests.
It would be such a shame to cut down such a well established plant. I have found in the past so many times that plants that look almost dead come back to life with the right treatments.
I would search the ground at night for slugs, I would also put compost around the plants, it seems to help their ability to fight diseases, and I would keep a vigilant eye out for any bugs.
Do you have a good source of composted material?
I am going to see if I can find the article someone recently posted about natural pest control.

BTW, your cucumber plant is bigger and healthier looking that any I have ever grown. (I am controlled by my climate, a totally different pest than you have )
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/14/2012, 11:37 pm

ORGANIC PEST CONTROL

OK here is an article for organic pest control, things you can do to give your plants the edge......
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 6/15/2012, 12:47 am

LOL - yeah - Santa Rita is kinda vague... I thought I had Guam in there too... guess not. Tiny tiny island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

I talked to my fellow local SFG-er's wife and she said that they weren't slugs - they were some sort of grubs...she said he put something on the soil and the next morning there were a ton of dead grubs on top of the soil. Ick. She is going to talk to him and ask what it was.

Compost is very limited here. All that I was able to find is composted steer manure and composted chicken manure. Used Vigoro Tomato and Vegetable fertilizer (12-10-5) when I set the seedlings out and added a little bit more about 2 months later. I have a compost pile going but it is still a long way from being "done"...

I'll check out that link - thanks!
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/15/2012, 12:53 am

composted steer manure and chicken manure are totally fine.
as long as it is composted it is just fine and your plants would love it
I got a load of 2 year old cow manure and my plants have all perked up considerably.

I just go out to the forest sometimes and find trees that are old and pull up the "compost" from below them
Are there tall trees in Gaum?

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 6/15/2012, 12:59 am

Hm.... we have plenty of jungle here - banana trees, papaya trees and lord knows what else. Although we live up on the plateau so it is more grassland here - albeit 12 ft tall grasses....

So you are suggesting using the composted manure like a mulch? Vice mixed with the vermiculite and the peat moss?
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/15/2012, 1:02 am

Well the original mels mix is a mixture of vermiculite, peat moss and compost and beyond that, in future years one just adds compost.
What I am saying is that many people "top dress" the beds with compost of some sort, when the plants are not doing well.
SORT of like you would in the second year.

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Erica 6/15/2012, 6:04 am

OK - went out there tonight after dark. Didn't find much. Found one moth-looking critter...
RIP Cucumbers... P1000014RIP Cucumbers... P1000015
There was a grasshopper out there...but they are everywhere around here. We are going to start keeping the yard grass cut shorter in the hopes of encouraging them to go hang out in the 12' grass that is behind our yard area. (One small patch starts about 4' away from the garden but the majority of it is about 20-30' away from the garden area.)
RIP Cucumbers... P1000016
Also saw what appeared to be a baby praying mantis - less than half an inch long Couldn't get a pic of him though. That was it. No eggs/strange things on the bottom of any leaves - no obvious infestation of anything.

this cucumber was beautiful about a week ago...
RIP Cucumbers... P1000017

Another shot of the current state... Sad
RIP Cucumbers... P1000019

This was one of the last cucumbers I was able to save...No idea what that scaly stuff is on it. It hadn't gone all the way into the fruit - was able to cut it away and the inside was fine.
RIP Cucumbers... P1000018
Miss Erica
Miss Erica

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/15/2012, 6:49 am

Aside from the obvious insect damage it is certain that your cucumbers have some type of disease or maybe more than one. Maybe anthracnose... but I am not well versed in curcurbit diseases. Is there a university or other farming/agriculture resources on the island?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

RIP Cucumbers... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/15/2012, 9:43 am

Here is a list of cucurbit diseases cucumber diseases

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/15/2012, 9:49 am

I agree, your problem is more disease than insects. And the everyday rain, humidity and heat don't help. The most successful gardens I saw in PI were grown under row covers and in greenhouses to protect from sun and downpours. I'm thinking you may have to do succession planting because eventually your cukes will sucumb.

I have had limited success with my blight stricken tomatos using Neem spray and a copper fungicide spray, both organic. JIC, I also sprayed my cukes and so far so good.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 6/15/2012, 11:55 am

I lived there for 2 1/2 years not that many people I can recall had a garden. On base anyways, like you said finding anything there was like lookin for a needle in a FIELD of haystacks. In so far as the plants go I can't offer any help sorry.
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  KDeus 6/15/2012, 12:06 pm

Miss Erica wrote:In the space of a week - my beautiful cucumbers went from lush green plants to being mostly dead (I think) I took these pictures a few days ago - it's even worse now...
Found this on one leaf - no clue what it is or what caused it...
RIP Cucumbers... Imag0115

This looks like it might be pickleworm damage from where the worm ate it's way through the cuke. If you look at the cukes above that area, you will probably see a hole(s) in one or several of them. Actually, it looks like the cuke in the foreground of this pic does have a hole toward the bottom. One of my cukes I found holes in had 5 of them in it. I can't tell from the moth picture because the wings are closed if that is the moth that laid the eggs. Here's some info on these guys: http://ipm.ncsu.edu/ag295/html/pickleworm_melonworm.htm

I have downy mildew that has been somewhat under control on mine. It started when we started getting a lot of the rain from recent storms. It does looks like you could have a fungus or a disease, although I can't tell what kind. I've been spraying with Neem which seems to help somewhat.
KDeus
KDeus

Female Posts : 71

http://www.mikkeanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/15/2012, 1:11 pm

Miss Erika
Are you having any success with any other crops?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next