Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" Toplef10Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" I22gcj10Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" Toplef10Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" I22gcj10Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs"

3 posters

Go down

Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" Empty Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs"

Post  greenmama 5/11/2012, 10:11 am

If anyone follows the blog "Little House in the Suburbs", maybe you all can help me. I am using this garden plan: http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/06/free-garden-plan-fall-garden.html

I don't have time this year to build a beautiful trellis like the one suggested in Mel's book, because well, I'm due with baby #4 any day now! and we are swamped with other last minute baby projects to be done. But, my peas are a foot high and need some support asap. So I figured we would quickly put up the tomato stakes and nylon trellis lines as the blogger suggests with that plan. Oh, and my cucumbers and pole beans will need help in a few weeks too!

Here are my questions:

1) How tall would you estimate the tomato stakes to be? My husband put in some 1"x1" wooden stakes that are maybe 7 feet tall, and they seem way too tall. But what do I know?!

2) How far back to do you put the stake in behind the squares of peas? We at first put it in right smack behind the boards, but that wouldn't really give enough of a slant for the trellis string for the peas to climb...right? Do we need to scoot it back by a foot?

3) I planted 9 "holes"/sprouts of peas. How many nails + string lines do I put in the backboard for them to climb up?

4) Do I attach the peas with string to the trellis "lines" Or do I just encourage them to wrap themselves around the lines and they will naturally attach themselves?

If anyone has any other ideas for trellising peas, cucumbers, and green beans that are quick and easy, then I am all ears!

Thanks!
greenmama
greenmama

Female Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" Empty Re: Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs"

Post  javaaddict 5/11/2012, 12:28 pm

I'm also awaiting baby #4! Gardening is hard with this belly.

I used my old tomato cages flipped upside down for peas. So far it's working really well. I was able to fit 3 across 4 squares, and the peas just found their way up no problem. It looks a little odd but it works and it was the right amount of effort. Wink
javaaddict
javaaddict

Female Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs" Empty Re: Trellising peas on a tomato stake: ala "Little House in the Suburbs"

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/11/2012, 4:29 pm

Peas don't need a lot of help. They are a vine with tendrils and they will wind those tendrils around whatever is next to them. Smile I guide mine just a teeny bit, but pretty much once they find the trellis, they will climb up it without a whole lot of effort... Smile It hasn't really mattered how I've put my trellis...once they find it, they climb it and each other... Smile I use just the plain old netting recommended by Mel in the book. Smile

For tomatoes - it depends if they are determinate or indeterminate. An indeterminate tomato will continue growing until frost or until you nip it off on top. I think 7' is GREAT for an indeterminate tomato. Last year I planted transplants and they easily got to 6' and could've probably gone to 7'. This year I'm stringing 7'. I know some folks who go to 10' but since I'm short and have no desire to climb ladders in my front yard, I'm stopping at 7'. Smile

In short, it sounds like you are doing just fine and congratulations Mama! Smile

UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down