Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Toplef10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 I22gcj10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Toplef10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 I22gcj10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:06 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

+17
southern gardener
GWN
Boz
llama momma
boffer
Momof5Js
camprn
walshevak
FamilyGardening
Goosegirl
grammy
efirvin
snibb
Triciasgarden
Turan
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
21 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Empty Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  Turan 6/3/2012, 1:17 am

I took the wall o waters off the tomatoes in the greenhouse. My goodness they have doubled or more in size since I planted them and the cherry has green fruits. I have planted out all the eggplants and peppers and tomatillos and melons and cukes and corn. Seeded bush and pole beans, more cilantro, multi colored carrots, more radishes and summer squash. The yard long beans are up in the greenhouse.

I planted carrots with the corn, not sure that will work,,,, and carrots with the bush beans, I have better hopes for that. The pole beans are growing with chamomile.

Tomorrow I should plant the winter squash and okra. I hope to get enough lettuce for a salad. Or a lot of greens, the bok choi is ready to start harvesting too.

The pansies are blooming and so is a Peruvian daffodil! That is a bulb that followed me home. They smell good and are pretty too.

June is so nice and green and lilac filled. flower

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Empty Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  RoOsTeR 6/3/2012, 9:37 am

I got the last of my tomatoes in and cages up for my peppers. I've got my neon chard planted and actually starting to see a few sprouts. My patty pan squash is planted and I think I saw a couple of little sprouts last night there too! My cucumber seeds are sown in pots, and my second round of radish and third round of spinach and carrots are sown as well. I've got little transplants of lettuce all over the place Smile My first plantings of spinach are bolting and I've got turnips and kohlrabi about ready. My baby bok choy is still being enjoyed by me and the flea beetles tongue
My tomatoes look like they are finally starting to perk up a bit too. They've been a lot of brutal winds that have taken a toll on them, but they seem to be bouncing back...fingers crossed!
Hopefully sometime today and can get in the bohemoth sunflowers...

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 IMG_20120603_064850
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 IMG_20120603_064909
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 IMG_20120603_065012
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 IMG_20120603_064837
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 IMG_20120603_064944

Sometime this summer...hopefully...I would like to finish up all the walkways and future box layout and get all the weed barrier down and either shredded bark mulch or crushed gravel. Right now I'm leaning more towards the gravel. With our winds, I've found myself constantly replacing bark mulch. Someday, I'd like to meet the guy down the road who collects everyone's mulch...

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/3/2012, 9:48 am

RoOsTeR wrote:Someday, I'd like to meet the guy down the road who collects everyone's mulch...

lol! He's probably bagging and reselling it to all of you!

Seriously, lookin' great RoOsTeR!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/3/2012, 11:56 am

Goosegirl wrote:
RoOsTeR wrote:Someday, I'd like to meet the guy down the road who collects everyone's mulch...

lol! He's probably bagging and reselling it to all of you!

Seriously, lookin' great RoOsTeR!

GG

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Dave_r10

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/3/2012, 4:21 pm

Here are some updated garden pics!

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Dsc_0110

This is the pyramid, everything is doing great except for the nasturtiums, I think It was Plantiod that said these are wimpy flowers and I have to say I agree, since they like poor soil I think I will just find a place in the yard for the rest of them.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Dsc_0111

Some onions, spinach, lettuce, kohlrabi, turnips, strawberries... I had my zoom lens on so I didn't get close ups.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Dsc_0111

The new cattle panel arches!

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Dsc_0113

On the right are some tiny tim dwarf maters, the tall one on the left is a lemon boy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Dsc_0114

More tomatoes, with petunias behind them, the rest of the squares I will move peppers to in a few weeks. I just planted the tomatoes today and need to get the pattle panel up for the trellis, On the other side of the trellis I will have malibar spinach!

Last edited by RoOsTeR on 6/3/2012, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit photo)
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/3/2012, 5:34 pm

O! I especially like the tunnel of vegys headed to the play area Laughing

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/3/2012, 5:40 pm

Lookin good Cheyanne Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 3170584802

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Logo-111
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/7/2012, 7:34 am

Yesterday I FINALLY got all my peppers, eggplant and basil transplanted. Not long after I got everything done, we got hammered by wind, rain. The wind was long, the rain was brief. Like very brief. Some areas all around us had tornadoes and golf ball size hail, so I will consider myself lucky. Unfortunately, the weather forecast sounds the same for today Evil or Very Mad

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/7/2012, 8:34 am

Same here Rooster, I transplanted some tomatoes, peppers and squash then had the most windy day of the year, we did get quite a a bit of rain though, so far today is seeming a bit gloomy out.

Turan, I love it, Tunnel of veggies Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/7/2012, 2:08 pm

The week started with freaking hard winds blowing high heat from the eastern plains. I had to fight hard to keep the melon hoop house plastic. Then the wind did an about face and blew fierce hard from the west and the temperature dropped. It frosted last night and hit singed the potatos and corn. I don't know if hte corn will make it. O wellllll..... Maybe I can double layer stuff some more potats in there. Or quinoa. or even corn.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/8/2012, 12:52 am

Turan, sorry to hear, I also had a little doom in the garden today, lots and lots of hail. I managed to cover most of the peppers and tomatoes (is this why I plant them so late usually, lol) but everything else took a hard hard hit, we will see what happens in a few days. Have you ever grown quinoa?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/8/2012, 1:06 am

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Garden12

This is a terrible day for gardens, sigh, sooo sorry to my flowers, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, kohlrabi, radishes, carrots, brussel sprouts, onions, beets, potatoes, and lettuce. Felt like I had to pick my favorite children out there today and tomatoes and pepper won.

[url=https://servimg.com/view/17424341/51]Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 Potato10[/url

Poor taters. there was still ping pong sized hail left even after being away for a few hours.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/8/2012, 1:53 am

Oooo Cheyenne, your poor garden.... So sorry.
I sure hope we don't have these storms all summer.

Some things will regrow from the tatters it is rather amazing.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/8/2012, 11:39 am

Well today is a new day! I got some new "dirt" material to mix up and fill the boxes for my tunnel of veggies, then I am going to plant some canteloupe (earlisweet, 70 days), wish me luck to prove the FIL wrong. Also going to plant a few more tomatoes. I found a great new nursery yesterday and the had the biggest selection of tomatoes I have ever seen at a nursery. So I picked up a brandywine and a black krim because everyone keeps raving about it! Going to get cukes, more cukes, spaghetti squash, watemelon, and malibar spinach (I am running behind GG). So I better get off here and get to work!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/11/2012, 12:33 am

Got a bunch more planted a few days ago (watermelons, canteloupes, cukes, and squash) still witing on hubby getting the cattle panel so I can get the rest of the tomatoes and malibar spinach planted, I am thinking I will just plant them tomorrow and deal with the cattle panel later (even though the way we are set up the panel will go it the bed)!

Today I planted two more beds with more lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, strawberry spinach, radishes, turnips, beets, and brussel spouts. I have three boxes that Are dedicated to cool weather crops all summer as they are in the shade a bunch.

Anybody have any more suggestions for more shade/cool veggies? I still have one 3x3 box for them!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/11/2012, 4:38 am

cheyannarach wrote:Got a bunch more planted a few days ago (watermelons, canteloupes, cukes, and squash) still witing on hubby getting the cattle panel so I can get the rest of the tomatoes and malibar spinach planted, I am thinking I will just plant them tomorrow and deal with the cattle panel later (even though the way we are set up the panel will go it the bed)!

Today I planted two more beds with more lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, strawberry spinach, radishes, turnips, beets, and brussel spouts. I have three boxes that Are dedicated to cool weather crops all summer as they are in the shade a bunch.

Anybody have any more suggestions for more shade/cool veggies? I still have one 3x3 box for them!

how about bok choy and cauliflower Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/11/2012, 7:43 am

+1 on the bok choy.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/11/2012, 7:47 am

cheyannarach wrote:I have three boxes that Are dedicated to cool weather crops all summer as they are in the shade a bunch.

I can't believe I am so DUMB! Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 926169 I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do with my compost pile area now that I have my compost tumblers. Because it is in limited sunlight I was thinking I would have to wait until I can talk Hubby into letting me take down the dying tree that blocks the sun for 1/2 the day. BUILD COOL WEATHER CROP BOXES! Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 582897

I have enough lumber to make at least one 4x4 box, and if I cobble, maybe even 2 more of dubious footage.....!

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 109486 flower Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 311672 THANKS CHEYANNE!!!!!Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 311672 flower Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 109486

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/11/2012, 11:18 am

Your welcome GG, that's how I have ended up with so many boxes I keep finding lumber, I cut a few, then I make odd sized boxes with leftovers!

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have cauliflower I must have forgot to mention, bak choy sounds good, I was also thinking about swiss chard too!

Last edited by cheyannarach on 6/11/2012, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/11/2012, 12:07 pm

I see the Average Late Frost Date has been passed Very Happy

+2 on the bok choi. We especially like the dwarf varieties. Also swiss chard can take some heat and lasts until fall.

It rained and snowed was cold and miserable here all weekend. But it DID NOT frost! YEAH!

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/11/2012, 12:56 pm

Yay cheers no frost! It has been a bit blah here, hailed again 2 nights ago but nothing looked worse than it already did Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 43549 from the last hail! My lettuce is springing back pretty well! I will be outside taking care of what ever I can think of today, I need to plant a few more seeds, build an enclosure with pallets for a large compost pile. Hubby took me out yesterday on a hunt for leaves from last fall so we got a garbage bag full and added them to the tumbler and now I need to leave it alone and let it finish! I have a few squares that will not reover from the hail that need to be replaced, and I am thinking about starting some indoor seeds for fall transpants like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, I need to check the calendar firt to make sure of the timing! I also had a few extra cukes I need to find a home for outside!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/13/2012, 6:24 pm

Yay, strawberries! I was out watering today and saw a bunch and bunch of tiny baby strawberries starting to grow. They are first year plants but what can I say... I'm not patient Laughing . I thought about it and could not bring myself to pinch off the blooms. One reason I don't have asparagus is because I don't want to wait for it, but I think hubby is going to take that on next year! We have been hailed on 3 times in the last week but I was prepared for it yesterday Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 43549 .
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/13/2012, 6:59 pm

Congrats on the berries and making it through the hail storm Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 3170584802

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/13/2012, 10:59 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Congrats on the berries and making it through the hail storm Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 3 3170584802

+1

How do you prepare for hail?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/14/2012, 2:09 am

Well I go out in the yard and grab every bucket, toy, wood, tarp... that I can find and start covering. Tomatoes and peppers are always first then I cover what ever else I can with what I've got and hope for the best for the rest. The first hail storm went down like this.

I am speeding home from work, hubby is behind me in the new truck...

I get home and it's round one (pea sized) of the hail, I throw a box I had in my car over my head and run to everything that can cover something, grab it and cover the tomatoes and most of the peppers.

Then I look for more covers and hubby gets home and screams at me from the deck "Are you *&^$#$& crazy, get in the house!" And I say "Come help me and it won't take so long!" Round One ends..

I continue to cover what ever I can on the lower beds Round two (ping pong sized) I run in the house looking for my tarp for the pyramid bed and hubby put it away Evil or Very Mad and cant remember where! I am about in tears because he can't remember where the %^&&$$^&& tarp is. I run out and cover what I can then hop in the truck soaking wet (the plan was to come home and cover the plants then get the truck out of town)

Round three... Golf ball sized hail, ugh, got stuck in traffic because the tourists don't know how to drive in the rain, if they had only knew what we were driving away from they would have driven too, lol.

That was the first unexpected hail of the season and it wa not good, things are still looking pretty ugly out there. The potatoes and lettuce are bouncing back a bit though! I have some squares needing replacing though... But that's how I prepare, it's not pretty, lol.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next