Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Critique my Compost Toplef10Critique my Compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Critique my Compost I22gcj10Critique my Compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Critique my Compost Toplef10Critique my Compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Critique my Compost I22gcj10Critique my Compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Critique my Compost

4 posters

Go down

Critique my Compost Empty Critique my Compost

Post  aerinh123 5/6/2012, 1:54 pm

I am determined to get my Mels Mix right! I was only able to find vermiculite in a medium grade. Hopefully this will be ok. I *think I have the appropriate composts but I want to make sure before I start mixing so I am just looking for some input. Thanks!

Compost 1 - Cow Manure (it is pure manure - this is hard to find in a bag around here for some reason)
Compost 2 - Chicken Manure (this is granulated, is that normal??? http://www.acti-sol.ca/Multipurpose-Fertilizer ) Pretty sure I didn't link that properly, haven't figured that out yet.
Compost 3 - Sea Soil. It is a fish and forest compost http://www.seasoil.com/original-sea-soil.html ) I bought this at a hydroponic store.
Compost 4 - Horse Manure from a farm
Compost 5 - City Compost, yard waste compost.

I can also buy large bags of worm castings from the hydroponic store but they were close to 30 bucks a bag. I will spend it if some of my other composts are lacking. None are mixed with peat moss, I made double and triple sure.

Thanks for you opinions!
aerinh123
aerinh123

Female Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Critique my Compost Empty Re: Critique my Compost

Post  cheyannarach 5/6/2012, 2:05 pm

Sounds like a good blend except for the city yard waste compost, I would recommend skipping that one. I did the same thing then found out that sooo many people spray their lawns and the herbacides stay their even after composted. Also many city composts are not fully composted and contain a lot of wood chunks!

I hear the sea compost is really good stuff, I wish I could get my hands on some of that!

Also the worm casting are great and because they are so expensive you can make them go further by making worm casting tea to water with Very Happy

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Worm-Castings-Tea

Last edited by cheyannarach on 5/6/2012, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/6/2012, 2:07 pm

I'm still a novice but I wish I'd had your mix last year! Smile

The only caution some might give is that city compost is a bit of a dice roll. I think the main concern is that some folks may be using herbicides on their lawns and then those clippings are being composted. Smile Some folks swear by it and some folks wouldn't use it. Do you know anyone using the city compost?

Oh, since you made sure your compost doesn't have peat, make sure to put in some fluffed peat for a nice fluffy mix... Smile

Oh and +1 to "I wish I could get that seaweed or lobster compost in my area..." Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  aerinh123 5/6/2012, 2:15 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! Pesticides have been banned in my city for a few years so that maybe isn't as much of a concern for me?? I don't personally know anyone that uses it. I guess I will splurge on a big bag of the worm castings and bump up on the horse since I am splitting a truck load with my neighbor anyways.

I live in central ontario so I was surprised to find a fish compost - maybe check your local hydroponic store? Thats where I found mine.

Granulated Chicken Manure is normal?? I don't know what I expected it to look like! LOL

Also my peat moss is in 1.3 cubic foot compressed bales. Any idea what this equals in cubic feet once its fluffed? It says it covers 24 sq ft. at 1 inch thick. So much to know!!
aerinh123
aerinh123

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/6/2012, 2:22 pm

Ok - first off - the question is do people in your city use HERBicides? This would be like RoundUp or WeednFeed type products designed to kill off weeds and leave the grass growing or designed to kill vegetation on sidewalks, driveways, etc. Not sure if that's what you meant was banned? Smile

Yup on the chicken "pelleted" manure - it looks like little gravel but when you mix it and wet it, it'll blend right in your mix just fine.

Lastly, baled peat will fluff out to about double it's volume per the folks here on the forum. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  aerinh123 5/6/2012, 2:31 pm

So your question got me thinking and on further investigation I found out that it is a province wide ban on cosmetic use of pesticide, herbicide and insecticide on residential and city property. I know it is still available to people who use it to kill poison ivy and things like that. I think you have convinced me to skip the city compost, as you can never be too sure! Thanks again!
aerinh123
aerinh123

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 5/6/2012, 2:49 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:I'm still a novice but I wish I'd had your mix last year! Smile

The only caution some might give is that city compost is a bit of a dice roll. I think the main concern is that some folks may be using herbicides on their lawns and then those clippings are being composted. Smile Some folks swear by it and some folks wouldn't use it. Do you know anyone using the city compost?

Oh, since you made sure your compost doesn't have peat, make sure to put in some fluffed peat for a nice fluffy mix... Smile

Oh and +1 to "I wish I could get that seaweed or lobster compost in my area..." Smile

My town offers two year old compost for free every year and I use it. It's black gold as far as I'm concerned. After composting for two years, I really doubt there's any issues. However, I do have to clean it for rocks, sticks, pine cones that haven't composed. I do mix it with several other types of compost to give it a boost and to balance it out.

Matter of fact I grabbed some today and cleaned it.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f43/17/43/37/18/photo11.jpg

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 5/6/2012, 3:42 pm

If you are in doubt...try planting an extra seedling in it and see what happens... Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down