Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 Toplef10What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 I22gcj10What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 Toplef10What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 I22gcj10What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's eating in your garden today?

+34
brcbedard
Mamachibi
Furbalsmom
rschack
ericam
Turan
camprn
H_TX_2
Ha-v-v
acara
Coelli
Triciasgarden
BetsyC
dixie
kbb964
plantoid
Nonna.PapaVino
llama momma
givvmistamps
donnainzone5
Don T
walshevak
JK
RoOsTeR
GWN
Goosegirl
1orangething
Lindacol
stripesmom
yuliad
Denese
sherryeo
littlesapphire
shannon1
38 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's eating in your garden today?

Post  Don T 5/31/2012, 11:58 am

Definitely looks like deer browsed on them. That's what I look for in October while bow hunting. Looks like your garden is a good place to put up a stand. LOL

I'm getting a few holes in the leaves of several plants. Every now and then I catch one of those little black worms. But most of my garden is in great shape. I have some sweet 100 tomatoes setting fruit now. The temperatures were in the low to mid 90's all last week. No rain but the Mel's mix retains the water very well.
Don T
Don T

Male Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's eating in your garden today?

Post  Furbalsmom 5/31/2012, 8:13 pm

rschack, cabbage worms can be picked off one at a time, or sprayed with
BT (bacillus thuringiensis) spelling may be wrong because those are tiny letters on the bottle. Shocked

I use the "Safer" brand of Caterpillar Killer. Most effective when caterpillars are still tiny and have not caused lots of damage.

Mix with water following directions carefully, spray the leaves top and bottom getting thorough coverage. Can be repeated every three to seven days. Safe to eat the produce the next day.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/31/2012, 9:08 pm

The little holes are definitely not slugs. Up until Beryl came along, we hadn't had enough rain for those things to come out of the woods, and I haven't seen any slug trails at all. (I'd definitely recognize them, having grown up in Seattle Wink )

I just realized today that the very bottom leaves have been nipped off the plant too, so now I'm confused a bit. I suppose that the deer could eat top & bottom leaves, leaving the middle ones alone...but I would think there are other things in my garden they would've gone after first before the pepper. I notice they're leaving the cayenne pepper plant they can reach alone and only eating the bell pepper. I wonder, if I sprinkled some hot pepper powder on my bell pepper leaves, would that keep the deer away from them? There's no new damage today...assuming the bottom leaves didn't get noticed earlier because of my sore back.

Don, you'd be welcomed by me in hunting the deer What a Face but I think the city would object. Maybe they'll go down to the lake and get eaten by the alligators. Our neighborhood fox is certainly not going to chase them away; he's been around as long as we've lived here and hasn't kept them off.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/31/2012, 10:20 pm

The stupid squirrels are still digging in anything that's not covered. Sad I came home to holes in just about every tub and pot. Thankfully nothing was eaten. I went to my daughter's school's open house for about an hour, came back, and the furry little @#$%s were back! When I looked out the window, one of them was sitting in the zucchini's tub, digging up its roots, and then another popped its head up over the tub to see what was going on.

Grrr... they're lucky I'm too much of a softie to get a pellet gun! I won't have time until this weekend to build enclosures for everything (and still need to figure out the best way to do it).

And all of my butterbean edamame plants have rust. Sad
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/31/2012, 10:25 pm

Uh, Coelli, you mean the dog pictured on your avatar isn't a squirrel-hunting dog?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/31/2012, 10:33 pm

He would LOVE to hunt squirrels! And I would love to leave him (and my other little guy) outside for a while to protect the garden... but we live in coyote country and neither of my dogs is big enough to be outside without a chaperone. Sad Maybe the stupid coyotes could make themselves useful for once and take care of the squirrels!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/1/2012, 7:26 am

Yesterday while planting a sweet banana pepper -- right next to the hole a 2 inch diameter toad popped up out of the soil mix. He/she was completely covered in Mel's mix and glittered with vermiculite, actually pretty cute.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/1/2012, 9:35 am

Found earwigs in the beans. I've seen them on the outside of my tulle, but now I'm wondering if that's what's eating my collards. Gonna try the oil dishes.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/1/2012, 1:46 pm

So far, just the neighborhood rabbit. Celery seems to be a 'trap crop' for the bunny, as it has left nearly everything else alone since I planted it! There are a few nibbles on my Dragon's Tongue beans as well, but I only planted them to get rid of the seeds. Altho' they look cool, I much prefer the taste and texture of the Tenderpods and Blue Lakes. So, bunny can have Dragon Celery breath if he will leave my melons and taters alone!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  rschack 6/1/2012, 4:49 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:rschack, cabbage worms can be picked off one at a time, or sprayed with
BT (bacillus thuringiensis) spelling may be wrong because those are tiny letters on the bottle. Shocked

I use the "Safer" brand of Caterpillar Killer. Most effective when caterpillars are still tiny and have not caused lots of damage.

Mix with water following directions carefully, spray the leaves top and bottom getting thorough coverage. Can be repeated every three to seven days. Safe to eat the produce the next day.

I've been picking them off by hand and that seems to be working alright. When I first noticed them I had to pick off at least five of them from my one cabbage plant and when I checked today I only picked off one.
rschack
rschack

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 6/1/2012, 9:48 pm

Okay guys, every day seems to find something new and different going on... I mean, WHAT could be causing THIS?!?!?! Shocked
What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 7317649368_ac5e2376e9
Sorry it's fuzzy, I had to hold the camera above my eye level so I couldn't see if it focused...but I think you get the drift. No, none of the lower leaves look like this, only the upper leaves, and so far only a few.

Other thing I found was an extremely mushy spot near the soil line on my round zucchini plant. I don't know if some critter caused it, or if it's just rotting, but I am trying to figure out if I need to pull the plant out before my other squash are infected or infested or whatever. I didn't discover it until the light was too low this evening for photos, so will have to snap one tomorrow. But, if it sounds familiar, give a shout out, would you?
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/2/2012, 10:53 am

Hmmm...

A few of my bean leaves look like this, as well. I've seen no sign of bugs, nor have I spied the cats nibbling there. Any ideas?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 6/2/2012, 4:45 pm

Slugs. It's the weirdest thing. I harvested a radicchio that was just FULL of slugs deep down, but there was no damage to the leaves! I guess maybe they were crawling out to dine on the lettuce at night then hiding in the folds of the radicchio during the day!
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 6/2/2012, 5:42 pm

Here's what my zucchini looks like:

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 7322893156_2988f7dee0

Any ideas on this? Is it SVB? I've never seen it before, so don't know what to look for.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  brcbedard 6/2/2012, 11:22 pm

yep SVB. Seen them second year i planted pumkins also that was same year a large lot of watermelons were planted commercially not far from my home in ocala. (silver springs shore area) If you see any red flying mothlike butterfly like bugs around any curcubits take a swatter to them. I keep a few outside. Also once they lay eggs inside your plant and you notice the "bulge" you can cut them out with a sharp clean Knife and then spray with an anti bactirial. Just make one clean cut a little larger than needed carefully scoop out bug larva. If stem is large enough it will recover in most cases although having a vine type that is rooted in more than one place can make a differance. This will usually get you buy so that fruit that is set will finish well but your main root probably wont support another round of fruiting. But you can start another plant to be ready to go while you wait. Hope this helps. Mary
brcbedard
brcbedard

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  KDeus 6/2/2012, 11:29 pm

Yep. Sad That's what mine looked like, too. I have a volunteer pumpkin that although a good part of the stem is shredded, seems to be doing quite well. You may notice inside the stem, that there is a "tunnel" where it has been eating. On my squash plants, it decimated them all. Sad
KDeus
KDeus

Female Posts : 71

http://www.mikkeanphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brcbedard 6/3/2012, 12:19 am

Test pic of pumkinWhat's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 002_211 Grown from a plant that had svb "surgery"

Last edited by brcbedard on 6/3/2012, 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pic)
brcbedard
brcbedard

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 6/3/2012, 12:14 pm

Yesterday afternoon I cut a leaf off one of my Eggplants and at first didn't see anything. Then I noticed a very small catapillar or worm. It was the same color as the leaf and very tiny, maybe 1/4". Then I started noticing more and more of them as they moved. There were at least 10 on the leaf. I sprayed all my plants again in hopes of catching them early enough. Sorry I didn't get a picture.
Don T
Don T

Male Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  backwoodsgirl123 6/3/2012, 12:37 pm

givvmistamps wrote:Not absolutely sure what's eating my bell pepper leaves, but I have two problems that I believe are unrelated. One is holes in the leaves all over the plant (though it started on the lower leaves first) similar to the holes I find in the Swiss chard, Evil or Very Mad but I can't find a caterpillar or worm like I found on the chard. The other is where entire leaves (except the stem) at the very top of the plant are being eaten. Evil or Very Mad My husband thinks the second problem is deer, so I'm going to put my son's stinky socks out to see if that helps keep them away. Twisted Evil Those socks chase those of us who love him away, so they gotta work on deer! Razz
What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 7306653752_17d78d947e
If you have any ideas on what might be eating little holes in the leaves, I'm all ears! I've tried spraying Organicide on it, but it didn't seem to help for very long...but the Organicide is from last year, so maybe it's lost effectiveness? No At least I was able to harvest the first peppers off the plant today. I just hope there are enough leaves left by the time I chase off the critters so my next batch manages to grow as big and lovely!

I've been finding itty bitty light green grasshoppers doing that to my plants.
backwoodsgirl123
backwoodsgirl123

Back to top Go down

Post  backwoodsgirl123 6/3/2012, 12:46 pm

My garden has been completely decimated this year by Squash Bugs, Grasshoppers, and either roof rats or squirrels. Don't know which on the latter but they take one bite from a tomato and leave the rest and its high up on the tomato plant.

Also have some beetles.

Wow, and it started out being such a wonderful lush garden. No They came in like a storm and the squash bugs don't care how much soap I put on my tomatoes. The watering and rain keeps washing it off anyway.

Then, I got late blight on a lot of them. So much for heirloom tomatoes.

On the brighter side of things. Only in the state of FL can you rip everything out and start all over again three times per year! sunny
backwoodsgirl123
backwoodsgirl123

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/3/2012, 3:44 pm

backwoodsgirl123 wrote:On the brighter side of things. Only in the state of FL can you rip everything out and start all over again three times per year! sunny

Can't beat year-round gardening! (SIGH) At least this year in the upper midwest we got an extra 1 1/2 months of spring! I just hope it isn't taken off of fall - I have plans for a fall garden this year.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 Empty What's eating in your garden today?

Post  Triciasgarden 6/7/2012, 9:48 pm

I am reposting my pics of damage to my potato plants to show what earwig damage is. I have been stressing about the damage to my potatoes because I have been looking and looking for pests (but not at night with a flashlight). Whatever was eating my potatoes was also eating my beans, spinach and other plants. I researched lots of insects, read lots of posts here on SFG, I was finally suspecting the earwigs were getting to my plants. I read about using vegetable oil in short containers and putting them in the garden. I cut down plastic cups to less than 2" and poured used canola oil into the cups and into one short metal container. I put them in my beds last night and this morning I hit pay dirt!

I had about five containers spread out among where the most damage was. I probably got at least 50 earwigs between them all! They were all dead, ha ha ha (that was an evil laugh if you couldn't tell! I left those cups out there since I was too busy with grand kids to dump and refill plus why waste it. I will be putting more containers out tonight in addition to those so as to really put a major dent in the population. I noticed I have lots of earwigs in areas where I haven't gotten all the weeds pulled and/or dug near the fence enclosing all my beds. I will take some pictures tomorrow morning after my all out war on those creepy things! I am also going to cut the severely damaged leaves off to see if this does the trick and I think it will!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/7/2012, 9:56 pm

Deer, This is the first year that they have ever gotten this close to the house. Usually I make sure to leave the dog out close to the garden and we moved the kennel last fall, hmmm, now what to do. They ate the tops of a few peppers and some impatiens, so I guess they have been pretty generous so far.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 Empty Three Lined Potato Beetles

Post  jmsieglaff 6/8/2012, 9:26 am

So I found what at first glance I thought was striped cucumber beetles on my tomatillo plants. After a bit more digging, I found they were not striped cucumber beetles, but three lined potato beetles.

Three lined potato beetles have red heads:
What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 Three-lined-potato-beetle

Striped cucumber beetles do not:
What's eating in your garden today? - Page 4 Strcucbtlelg

I'd much rather have these than the cucumber beetle since these do not spread bacterial wilt like the cucumber beetles. Thus far I've only found a couple and have squished them. I did find three or four eggs laid in a row that I destroyed. While looking for beetle eggs, I also found a ladybug on the underside of a tomatillo leaf, maybe it was eating eggs?

Here is a good resource for three lined potato beetles:
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource001192_Rep1517.pdf
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4