Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 Toplef10What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 I22gcj10What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 Toplef10What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 I22gcj10What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's eating in your garden today?

+34
brcbedard
Mamachibi
Furbalsmom
rschack
ericam
Turan
camprn
H_TX_2
Ha-v-v
acara
Coelli
Triciasgarden
BetsyC
dixie
kbb964
plantoid
Nonna.PapaVino
llama momma
givvmistamps
donnainzone5
Don T
walshevak
JK
RoOsTeR
GWN
Goosegirl
1orangething
Lindacol
stripesmom
yuliad
Denese
sherryeo
littlesapphire
shannon1
38 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's eating in your garden today?

Post  llama momma 5/21/2012, 12:56 pm

What the heck? I was hardening off several ground cherries and one small plant is gone. Not a trace. It was small but still... There were a dozen other plant varieties hardening off too. Strange, I even put down deer and rabbit repellant. Maybe one of the barn cats took a bite.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's eating in your garden today?

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/21/2012, 1:12 pm

givvmistamps, hot pepper only works on mammalian garden raiders. Birds cannot taste the hot component of peppers, which is why pepper plants in tropical areas show up in new and unexpected places where seedy bird droppings land. With this in mind, cayenne is a great way to protect your bird feeder from squirrel raiders.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/21/2012, 1:52 pm

Yes they are canada geese. There is a resident flock in Louisiana now. It was started in the early 60's around Pecan Island, LA. This flock has developed and spread all over South LA and around the Baton Rouge area I would guess it is well in the hundreds of birds, maybe a thousand. Some times we will wake up and have a hundred birds in our back yard. This is usually in late January and February. The flocks are split at present raising their young.

The corn has recovered and is over a foot tall now. I had to replace a couple of plants.

I went to the nursery and have purchased Hi-Yield Thuricide concentrate to spray the plum trees. I did find small catepillars after searching more carefully. I also found a worm on my pepper bushes, may he rest in peace, HAHA!

As suggested by the man at the nursery I purchased a spray bottle of Ortho Flower, fruit and vegetable Insect killer. I will spray both this afternoon after the sun gets low as to not be in the hottest part of the day.
Don T
Don T

Male Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/21/2012, 9:46 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:givvmistamps, hot pepper only works on mammalian garden raiders. Birds cannot taste the hot component of peppers, which is why pepper plants in tropical areas show up in new and unexpected places where seedy bird droppings land. With this in mind, cayenne is a great way to protect your bird feeder from squirrel raiders.
Thanks for the info! Squirrels are a major problem around here; I think it's because live oaks make up at least half the tree population.

Don, I'm glad you found a solution to the problem.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/22/2012, 7:55 am

RoOsTeR wrote:I'm still battling the flea beetles Mad They are absolutely relentless!

Seconded ! And they don't even know their fathers Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Charming little darlings that they are , they have also had megga munch session overnight in my glasshouse despite my taking anti insect precautions of sticky yellow squares that just seem to get full of all sorts of bugs an hour or so after a new one is set up.

Where is the raid & the slug pellets for the concrete floor ?? Twisted Evil.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 5/22/2012, 11:09 am

Black aphids, huge colonies !
thank fully no where near the veggies. They have attacked to shrubs at the front of the house
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 5/22/2012, 11:38 am

I found some more squash stink bugs & pulled off some leaves where I found eggs. I've killed a few SVB's & I know there have to be more, but I just can't seem to find them. I've got lots of baby cukes & I know I'll go out some morning to find wilted vines.

Flea beetles seem to really like my eggplants.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/22/2012, 3:00 pm

My Swiss chard has some sort of worm, I see tiny black bugs on my squash, and my whole garden has this tiny white bugs that fly upward when a leaf or plant is disturbed, but wouldn't show itself to my husband. Not real sure what to think, since the last two haven't affected plant production (yet). The chard has tiny holes all over, and I'm somewhat afraid to eat a leaf that I can't tear off an eaten section from since the Swiss chard looks a bit like Swiss cheese at this point.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 5/22/2012, 3:19 pm

So far today, some little aphids on my tomatoes and peppers, but I hope my ladybugs help with that!
BetsyC
BetsyC

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/22/2012, 3:26 pm

The yard bunny has eaten one of my celery plants, trimmed 2 others, and bitten off one of my melon seedlings. Fortunately I had 100% germination on my melons and needed to thin anyway! What a Face

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/22/2012, 4:57 pm

The rabbit got my other raspberry plant yesterday. Only the blackberry left.

Think I've got flea beetles on the beans. The potatos are looking rough, but some of them have already bloomed so I'm just waiting until the local farmer digs his to dis mine. In the meantime, I keep spraying Neem.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 Empty My potato leaves are being attacked

Post  Triciasgarden 5/22/2012, 9:09 pm

Can anyone tell me what is eating my potato plant leaves. I am
attaching pictures of the damage. One has quite a bit of glare from the
sun, sorry. I could not find any insects under the leaves or any slime
trail.

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 Leaf_d11

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 Second12
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/22/2012, 9:16 pm

Tricia, could the damage on your potato leaves be caused by Colorado Potato Beetle? Does it look like this: http://resistance.potatobeetle.org/ ? I've never had to deal with this beetle, so can't speak from experience. Someone out in SFG land must have an answer, though. Just thought: Reemay may help. Anyone else have ideas?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 5/22/2012, 10:11 pm

I don't know what was eating in my garden today, but the bird netting was open on one side and there was a visitor. It ate the tops off of 4 of my baby radishes, took a few bites out of some of the Tall Telephone peas, and decapitated a nasturtium seedling.

Luckily it didn't touch anything else that I can see... it might have been a squirrel, as some of the soil by the peas had been dug up a little.

Now I'm concerned that the bird netting will have to stay on all the time... and what do I do about the zucchini when it starts producing? It's in a cement mixing tub all by itself and I have a feeling it will be victimized. Sad
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/23/2012, 12:50 am

NonnaPapaVino it looks like you may have figured out what is eating my potatoes. I will have to have a very good look tomorrow morning. I looked at the site you sent me which was very good and also did more searching since I had a name to go by thanks to you! I read where one lady crushed the adult and/or larvae in the leaf it was in. I may just try a cup of rubbing alcohol and let them swim in it. Depends on how brave I am.

It looks also like the lady bug is a good eater of the adult and larvae of the colorado potato beetle.

Thank you so much for help and I will post what I find out tomorrow morning!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 Empty What's eating in your garden today?

Post  donnainzone5 5/23/2012, 1:13 am

Something has been chomping huge chunks from my bean leaves. I couldn't find a trace of any bugs, but just counter-attacked with some Dr. Death.

As to tiny white bugs, those just might be whiteflies.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/23/2012, 8:19 am

Not sure if this is "what are you eating from yr garden" or "what's eating in your garden" material ?

I sure hope he isn't a vegetarian, or has a craving for tomatos ..... cause I'll be damned if I know what to use to get rid of this pest ...... but I'm pretty sure NEEM and SEVEN dust aren't gonna be much help Laughing

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v102/acara/?action=view¤t=Whatseatinginmygarden.mp4

Disclaimer ... I'm a complete idiot and have a strange sense of humor. This is a complete Darwin Award moment & Please don't try this yourself.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/23/2012, 9:41 am

That gator can run faster than me and you put together Smile on dry land Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 5/23/2012, 10:24 am

So I am in year two of SFG and I have lots more produce this year than last year. Of course this brings more pest problems for me to learn about. I have some peppers with holes bitten into them and a tomato with a much smaller hole. I have been fighting caterpillars that were eating my leaves.

Yesterday I noticed that my biggest yet still green Roma tomato was just gone; vanished into nothingness. I know that was not caterpillars.

Any ideas?
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/23/2012, 11:19 am

I can speak about the tomato... I know small children like to liberate fruit from the parent plant.... Shocked it's happened to me more than once. If squirrels get hungry enough I know they too pinch tomatoes, at least in my neighborhood.
Did you see any animal tracks?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What's eating in your garden today? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/23/2012, 11:43 am

Are you serious?! Now I gotta protect my tomatoes from the darn squirrels?! Evil or Very Mad Here I thought I had them taken care of!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 5/23/2012, 11:50 am

What about veggies that are almost ripe and then you find a hole munched into them? Any suggestions on how to protect veggies or stop them from being eaten?
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/23/2012, 11:55 am

Alligators are not vegetarian but they do like toes I understand. That is hilarious.

Haven't had any gators in the lake in a few years. About 10 years ago I helped the nuisance gator guy get rid of a 7 foot female in our lake. Poor gal, I didn't play with her like Troy Landry (Swamp People) does.

Gators walk through the gas plant where I work all the time. Nothing to worry about unless you get caught by surprise, caught being the key work here. LOL.

Enjoyed the video.
Don
Don T
Don T

Male Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/23/2012, 1:42 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:That gator can run faster than me and you put together Smile on dry land Smile

and in a straight line ....

Very aware of all that ... and did it anyway.

Never claimed to be the sharpest crayon in the box Very Happy
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/23/2012, 1:47 pm

Something took a strip out of my baby zucchini sometime in the last 24 hours! Shocked I'm just wondering, what critter bites like that?!
2012.05.23 zucchini problem
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next