Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Types of Compost... Toplef10Types of Compost... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Types of Compost... I22gcj10Types of Compost... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Types of Compost... Toplef10Types of Compost... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Types of Compost... I22gcj10Types of Compost... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Types of Compost...

+2
boffer
rob.emenaker
6 posters

Go down

Types of Compost... Empty Types of Compost...

Post  rob.emenaker 3/4/2010, 10:50 am

I have been pricing all different brands and types of compost for my first SFG boxes I am building this weekend. Are there types of compost I should not use? Is composted manure okay? What about mushroom compost? There is so much out there and I don't want to mess up the first and most important part.

Thanks...
Rob
rob.emenaker
rob.emenaker

Male Posts : 37

http://robssfg.com

Back to top Go down

Types of Compost... Empty Re: Types of Compost...

Post  boffer 3/4/2010, 11:30 am

When I started SFG and was buying bags of compost, I used steer manure, chicken manure, mushroom compost, and compost mixes from 2 different suppliers-worked great. You're lucky, not everybody can find the variety you have.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  rob.emenaker 3/4/2010, 11:33 am

My local gardening place has their own compost, but it has a ton of sticks and stuff in it so I think I may steer clear of that. Thanks for the reply Smile
rob.emenaker
rob.emenaker

Male Posts : 37

http://robssfg.com

Back to top Go down

Types of Compost... Empty Types compost

Post  Ray'ssfg 3/4/2010, 5:31 pm

Hi Rob,
My experience is I think it is worth having a few different things as Boffer suggested. Some are high in nitrogen, others high in potash etc so if you have a blend you are covering your options.
I do the same with my ongoing compost barrels, put lots of different things in.
There were several posts on the old forum where people had used only one type and were very disappointed in the results with plants not growing well. It is often hard to determine by what is printed on the bags.
I look forward to hearing how your new garden goes. Keep us posted.
Cheers Ray in Aus Types of Compost... Icon_smile
Ray'ssfg
Ray'ssfg

Male Posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog 3/5/2010, 8:23 am

mel's book recommend a minimum of 5 different types of compost.

it took me a while last year but i was able to find 5.

read the backs of bags - sometimes you'll be surprised. i know i saw some 'topsoil' bags last year that were actually a blend of 3 different kinds of compost which was pretty neat.

i had to go to several different places to get 5 different kinds. i'm starting the search again this year as i plan on expanding and don't have enough 'homemade' compost to do boxes, but i have enough for replenishing each square as i use it. . . maybe next year i won't have to buy any compost but one step at a time. Smile

mushroom compost
posy power (horse)
cow manure
chicken manure

those were the easiest to find for me. i did also find 'garden compost' for sale at tractor supply that i used as the 5th kind last year.
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Post  LupinFarm 3/13/2010, 10:38 pm

I personally can only seem to get my hands on..

Sheep Manure
Cow Manure
Horse Manure (from my own horses, this stuff is only about 6-7 months old but the horses have been chopping it up in the field, and the stuff in the big girls field has actually been heating up for the last 7 months. She even lays on it because its all toasty lol)
Chicken Manure (from my own chickens, I have chicken poop that is over a year old now)
Duck Poo Tea and some Duck Manure from my duck house
Goat Manure (mixed with spent alfalfa hay)

I bought just today some 3-way compost and cow manure. I'll probably scoop some out of the field from my big mare's field, and start to work this week. I'm going to be made poor from buying vermiculite though, that stuff is $22 a bag, and it's super hard to find.
LupinFarm

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 3/14/2010, 7:31 am

I recently moved to town and really miss the ease at getting manure -- I especially miss the chicken house litter -- wonderful stuff when aged! I made a trip to a friend's ranch last week got a nice load of cow manure/ hay mix, but it is too raw for the garden, so am composting it. I was amazed to find that Home Depot (the largest garden center near me) does not carry any compost or manure. Hadn't thought about Tractor Supply, so will check them out. So far I've found cotton burr and mushroom compost (both pretty expensive), cow manure and a mixed manure (Scott's brand). But I did find a topsoil at Big Lots that has "composted forest products", peat moss, and humus and states it contains no field dirt. At $7.00 a 2 CF bag, it's affordable. I also have a trash can left of my homemade mixed compost.

As to the vermiculite, I had to pay $26.00 a bag. Yikes! So I used a bit less of it and more of my homemade compost. But hopefully it will all work out.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  LupinFarm 3/14/2010, 11:15 am

belfrybat wrote:I recently moved to town and really miss the ease at getting manure -- I especially miss the chicken house litter -- wonderful stuff when aged! I made a trip to a friend's ranch last week got a nice load of cow manure/ hay mix, but it is too raw for the garden, so am composting it. I was amazed to find that Home Depot (the largest garden center near me) does not carry any compost or manure. Hadn't thought about Tractor Supply, so will check them out. So far I've found cotton burr and mushroom compost (both pretty expensive), cow manure and a mixed manure (Scott's brand). But I did find a topsoil at Big Lots that has "composted forest products", peat moss, and humus and states it contains no field dirt. At $7.00 a 2 CF bag, it's affordable. I also have a trash can left of my homemade mixed compost.

As to the vermiculite, I had to pay $26.00 a bag. Yikes! So I used a bit less of it and more of my homemade compost. But hopefully it will all work out.
Wow you pay quite a bit for compost. I've never seen mushroom compost in stores, but my cow, sheep, 3-way mix, and occasionally in the summer you find a "green matter" compost is around $2.89 a for a 15kg bag. Which is the only size I can find.

I pay similar for the Vermiculite, when I found it, it's $22.00/bag (110 litre bag).
LupinFarm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down