Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Class A-biosolids compost Toplef10Class A-biosolids compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Class A-biosolids compost I22gcj10Class A-biosolids compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Class A-biosolids compost Toplef10Class A-biosolids compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Class A-biosolids compost I22gcj10Class A-biosolids compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Class A-biosolids compost

+2
boffer
Bud Alexis
6 posters

Go down

Class A-biosolids compost Empty Class A-biosolids compost

Post  Bud Alexis 7/27/2011, 1:37 pm

This type of compost is obtained from a composting operation, usually by a city or county, as a means to recycle vegetation, usually hauled off to a dump. It is processed into compost and in an alloted time sold by the load to anyone who will come and get it.The beneficial use of Class A biosolids on farmland, in landscaping, and for tree cultivation is one of the highest.

I was wondering if there is anyone else who might know the nutritional value for a vegetable garden.
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Class A-biosolids compost Empty Re: Class A-biosolids compost

Post  boffer 7/27/2011, 1:58 pm

A quick google check showed this:

Biosolids — The soil-like residue of materials removed from sewage during the treatment process. During treatment, bacteria and other tiny organisms break sewage down into simpler, harmless organic matter. The organic matter combined with bacterial cell masses, settles out to form biosolids.

Class A Biosolids
Class A biosolids contain minute levels of pathogens. To achieve Class A certification, biosolids must undergo heating, composting, digestion or increased pH that reduces pathogens to below detectable levels. Some treatment processes change the composition of the biosolids to a pellet or granular substance, which can be used as a commercial fertilizer. Once these goals are achieved, Class A biosolids can be land applied without any pathogen-related restrictions at the site. Class A biosolids can be bagged and marketed to the public for application to lawns and gardens.

That's a far cry from composting trees and grass. Are we talking about two different things?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/27/2011, 5:17 pm

bio-solids, A, B or extra fancy, is sewer sludge. A and 'extra' has been treated to prevent pathogens from hurting people.

Several yrs. ago a major farm in SC got the Grade A and put on the crops and e-coli was transmitted with the crop. The farmer lost the whole crop.

I don't think I'd use it on vegetables, maybe on trees or flowerbeds
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Class A-biosolids compost Empty Class A Compost

Post  Bud Alexis 7/28/2011, 1:39 pm

I would like to use the formula from Mel's suggestion of mixing 1/3 Vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 compost. I do not have enough materials or time to make enough compost to have what I need. Can I buy the right compost, or several kinds to mix together to make the right blend. And can I purchase different kinds of compost. Where I live we are very limited to gardening outlets. We live so far away from everything, that when it is Thursday where you are it is still Wednesday here.

Thanx
Bud Alexis
Bud Alexis

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Class A-biosolids compost Empty Class A "biosolids" sewage sludge is toxic

Post  Jill Richardson 7/28/2011, 2:54 pm

Hello,
I work on the issue of sewage sludge for Center for Media & Democracy's Food Rights Network so I can help with this topic. Class A Biosolids is a classification set by the EPA for a very unregulated toxic stew of lightly treated sewage sludge. They regulate about 10 heavy metals plus fecal coliform and salmonella and THAT'S IT. Anything else that goes down the drain is unregulated and can (and is!) be found in this: dioxins, perfluorinated compounds, flame retardants, pharmaceuticals, hormones, pesticides, etc, etc. Is that what you want to put in your garden?

You can see here what the EPA found in a study of 80 samples of sludge from around the country by looking for the 2005 Targeted National Sewage Sludge Survey.

As a gardener myself, I feel that my compost bin and my soil are sacred. I am very careful about what goes into them, both because I care about the health of the soil organisms that make up the ecosystem in my soil and because I care about what goes into my body and the bodies of my family members. Furthermore, as gardeners, we all end up touching and eating the soil, so chemicals in soil reach us directly as well as indirectly through our food. Why would you risk putting an unregulated chemical cocktail like sewage sludge in your soil??
Jill Richardson

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/28/2011, 2:59 pm

Hi Jill, Class A-biosolids compost 396615 to the SFG Forum! and thanks for the good info!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/28/2011, 3:23 pm

Bud Alexis wrote:I would like to use the formula from Mel's suggestion of mixing 1/3 Vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 compost. I do not have enough materials or time to make enough compost to have what I need. Can I buy the right compost, or several kinds to mix together to make the right blend. And can I purchase different kinds of compost. Where I live we are very limited to gardening outlets. We live so far away from everything, that when it is Thursday where you are it is still Wednesday here.
Thanx

I imagine it wasn't Bud's intent in his first post to talk about bio-sludge, so he re-framed his question.

Can anyone help him?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 7/28/2011, 3:56 pm

Bud Alexis wrote:I would like to use the formula from Mel's suggestion of mixing 1/3 Vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 compost. I do not have enough materials or time to make enough compost to have what I need. Can I buy the right compost, or several kinds to mix together to make the right blend. And can I purchase different kinds of compost. Where I live we are very limited to gardening outlets. We live so far away from everything, that when it is Thursday where you are it is still Wednesday here.

Thanx

Bud, many of us do not have enough home grown compost to create Mel's Mix. That means we have to go out and buy various types in order to create the blended compost that makes great Mel's Mix. Please check this link >>> HOW STRONG IS YOUR BACKBONE There is a lot of good information on how to select compost and the reason why we use at least five varieties of compost.

Hope this helps.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/28/2011, 4:46 pm

Thanx

Bud, my hardest to source was the vermiculite, and it is worth it to find it.

you might call garden centers/nurseries and ask about compost by the truckload. Or even your county(just state to them that you do not want the bio stuff) They might have other compost. Or try the next county over. Or just buy bags at the store. Just look at the ingridients and try to get kinds that are made from different stuff-chicken poo, bat guano, yard debrie, etc. This will give a diversity and better ratio of nutrients.

One problem I had: the compost in some of the bags was not quite finished.

It took a couple weeks for my garden to perk up. I suggest, if ya buy bags, is to get them home, and set out in the sun to cook for a while, a couple days anyway.
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down