Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello New to this please forgive me. Toplef10Hello New to this please forgive me. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello New to this please forgive me. I22gcj10Hello New to this please forgive me. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello New to this please forgive me. Toplef10Hello New to this please forgive me. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello New to this please forgive me. I22gcj10Hello New to this please forgive me. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello New to this please forgive me.

+2
Denese
jhayford
6 posters

Go down

Hello New to this please forgive me. Empty Hello New to this please forgive me.

Post  jhayford 6/17/2011, 4:03 pm

Hi my name is Jennifer. This year I decided to start "homesteading" because I live on 5 Acres and with 3 kids and stuff only want to work as little as possible. I stumbled upon Mel's Book in a magazine on homesteading. Checked out the website and a garden planner website all that would coordinate with his book. I think there is a link from here somewhere. Anyways. I started with a plan and just started to slowly emplament it. Then I got poison ivy bad so I had to quit for 3 weeks. So this is what I am doing. I had about 80 cinder blocks in the back 40 that I decided to have my boyfriend move up where the garden will be (front 40 lol). Found some 75% off weed liner so we are using that and cardboard under the boxes. They make almost perfect 4 foot boxes on the inside. I plan to use painters tape for the grid untill I can find something that will work more permanent I am trying to make everything out of "found" and really cheap stuff that will last reasonably. I have 2 questions. Can I use perlite instead of vermeculite. And has anyone used railroad ties I was wondering if the oil on them would cause a problem like the treated wood. I am guessing that by three seasons I will have all the boxes but still grow veggies while I work on the structures. Thank you all for your time. cyclops

Jennifer
jhayford
jhayford

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Hello New to this please forgive me. Empty One more question

Post  jhayford 6/17/2011, 4:16 pm

You you all get your seed at the local stores or order them from cataloges I remember grandma was forever getting seed cataloges before she past. I found a bunch of seeds at kmart for 40% off gonna save them for next year.
Thanks again
jhayford
jhayford

Back to top Go down

Hello New to this please forgive me. Empty Re: Hello New to this please forgive me.

Post  Denese 6/17/2011, 6:15 pm

Can
I use perlite instead of vermeculite. And has anyone used railroad
ties I was wondering if the oil on them would cause a problem like the
treated wood.

I would encourage you to really try to find the vermiculite. I know it's difficult to find, but it really is much better than perlite, in my opinion. Mel highly recommends the vermiculite over perlite. You can read that in the section Vermiculite vs. Perlite. Having said that, he also says in his book "Many people do use perlite instead of vermiculite... It's a matter of preference and availability, but I know which one I'm buying."

I'm not sure if the creosote in railroad ties leaches into the soil like the treated wood does, but personally, I wouldn't want to take the chance. Besides I can't stand the smell.

I usually get my seeds locally, just because it's more convenient.

Hope this helps!
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Hello New to this please forgive me. Empty Re: Hello New to this please forgive me.

Post  camprn 6/17/2011, 6:29 pm

Perlite is fine to use. Mel says he doesn't lie it for the dust whilst mixing his mix. I used it with satisfaction.
I say no to RR ties, creosote (coal tar) is poisonous. I use simple pine boards and expect to get at least 4 years out or them.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Hello New to this please forgive me. Empty I found it

Post  jhayford 6/17/2011, 8:43 pm

I was reading on here about someone going to the co-op so i went got there 5 minutes till close and they had the vermiculite. It was even the course kind.
Thanks for your help on everything. I am sure I will have a million more questions.

2 4x4 boxes so far hope to have a lot more in the future.
Jennifer
jhayford
jhayford

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 6/17/2011, 8:55 pm

Congratulations on finding the vermiculite! Can't wait to see pics!!
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 6/17/2011, 9:22 pm

jhayford wrote:I was reading on here about someone going to the co-op so i went got there 5 minutes till close and they had the vermiculite. It was even the course kind.
Thanks for your help on everything. I am sure I will have a million more questions.

2 4x4 boxes so far hope to have a lot more in the future.
Jennifer

Howdy Jennifer:

We have a vermiculite database on this forum. Please add your find to the list. Scroll down to you find the vermiculite page and follow the links.

Thanks and God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 6/18/2011, 8:55 am

RR ties leak forever, when I was a kid my dad lined the drive with them, we were forever getting in trouble for sitting on them and ruining what ever we had on at the time. They are nice and big, and it's tempting to sit on them, but you will have all that gunk on your clothes and hands every single time, not worth it in my opinion.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 6/18/2011, 5:22 pm

I also wouldn't use the railroad ties. If I had no choice I'd line that bed with plastic.

I just used regular pine boards from Lowes. I don't they won't last forever, but they are pretty cheap and they won't leech nasty stuff into my bed.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Hello New to this please forgive me. Empty rr ties

Post  jhayford 6/18/2011, 6:23 pm

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Just hoped I was wrong. I will cross the what to use road when I run out of cinder blocks. Thanks Everyone. I could always use them in the flower beds.
Jennifer
jhayford
jhayford

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 6/19/2011, 9:44 am

You could use them in the flower beds, but remember to use a knee pad to kneel on or sit on, that stuff gets all over you when you sit or kneel on it, and it will not come out of clothes, and turpintine might remove it from your knees. I still have nightmares of my mother trying to remove that stuff from my legs, I was the one who would sit on them the day before I had to wear a dress to some family thing.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down