Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? Toplef10Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? I22gcj10Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? Toplef10Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? I22gcj10Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested?

4 posters

Go down

Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? Empty Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested?

Post  jymarino 6/6/2011, 12:56 pm

Do fruiting tomato stems produce more than once on each stem? I have a long stem with several baby tomatos near the bottom of my Sweet 100. I am going to go back out today to see what else I can trim off of this guy to get him to stop taking so much airspace. Can I prune fruiting branches as I harvest them?

Also, and I can't find my SFG book to answer my question, I am not supposed to remove branches that are above the fruiting branches, correct? I can however remove the branches underneath the fruiting ones, that are obviously not fruiting themselves.

I am going to look at some of the pruning posts that are available as well.

Who knew that a simple tomato plant would give me so much stress? Rolling Eyes
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? Empty Re: Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested?

Post  AZDYJ2K 6/7/2011, 8:37 pm

I was hoping someone would respond to your post. I have a sick Roma tomato plant that is still producing fruit. I'm surprised because all the original leaves are now brown and dead and I haven't seen a flower on it in almost 2 months. I don't know how the new fruit appeared since I didn't notice any new blossoms.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested? Empty Re: Do fruiting stems on toms die off after the fruit is harvested?

Post  Furbalsmom 6/8/2011, 3:47 am

Do fruiting tomato stems produce more than once on each stem? I have a long stem with several baby tomatos near the bottom of my Sweet 100. I am going to go back out today to see what else I can trim off of this guy to get him to stop taking so much airspace. Can I prune fruiting branches as I harvest them?

Also, and I can't find my SFG book to answer my question, I am not supposed to remove branches that are above the fruiting branches, correct? I can however remove the branches underneath the fruiting ones, that are obviously not fruiting themselves.

I have never seen a tomato stem produce more than once. Removing fruiting branches, once harvested, seems a good way to clean up the tomato plant.

Are you asking about removing suckers from the joints of tomatoes or branches from the tomatoes?

I know Acara prunes his plants very heavily. I will be taking off just suckers, except for a few branches at the bottom to keep the leaves away from the soil.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 6/8/2011, 6:31 pm

FWIW, I've seen Tom's throw a sucker off the fruiting stem, or keep developing as a branch, before the fruit ripens ...but I've never seen one do it after the branch produces fruit.

If it doesn't have any additional growth by the time I havest the fruit, I cut it off.

In my experience, trimming doesn't preclude future growth. If the plant wants to throw another branch, it will do so, just not at the exact same spot.

Normally when we get above 90 degrees & are going to stay there for a while, I'll go ahead and top & cut back my tomatoes (at least the varieties that I like) ... and I'll keep the growth to a minimum until the weather cools back down in Sept/Oct. Once it returns to sub-90's (so the blossom doesn't drop), I'll hit them with a dose of high-N fertilizer and they will throw new branches/leaves/flowers again.

If I don't catch any summer diseases on the plant; I end up getting a jump start on the "fall" season, without having to replant. I also get larger fruit in the fall because the plant doesn't have to mature again, or develop a root base from scratch.

The quantity is never as good (high) on the second go-round, but the fruit is generally as big or larger, and the harvest percentage is generally higher (less fruit mortality/spoilage).
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  jymarino 6/9/2011, 12:40 am

Thanks Acara, that is helpful to know. I don't really know if it will stay in the 90's here for a really long time, I'll have to check. If I top it off it will stop growing vertically but will keep growing horizontally? I already have trouble keeping this guy within his one foot square so I don't really want him to grow out too much more. I have been removing all the new suckers I have found and have pruned off several non-fruiting branches. I am not supposed to prune off the ones above the fruiting branches, correct? I am concerned about trimming off too much and having the plant not produce very well. Thanks as always for the advice!
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down