Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Toplef10Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan I22gcj10Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Toplef10Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan I22gcj10Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

+10
Lavender Debs
SFGHQSTAFF
chexmix
Daynannan
choksaw
ayanefan
Wyldflower
mckr3441
martha
boffer
14 posters

Go down

Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Empty Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan

Post  boffer 3/26/2010, 1:51 pm

It was a small, enthusiastic, and courteous crowd. Alan offered insights into the inner workings of the Foundation that we did not understand or appreciate until now. It was time well spent. The worst thing I can say is that Alan needs to learn to type faster! Talk about hanging on every word! I'm guessing he's dynamite in front of a live audience. But I guess that's the nature of the beast in a structured chat.

I'm encouraged to have more chats down the road: getting Mel into the chat is still our goal.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Empty Re: Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan

Post  martha 3/26/2010, 1:55 pm

Yes, the hang time was difficult, but for me, it was well worth it! I learned a lot more about the Foundation. When I speak about SFG, in public and even here, I am afraid I am going to sound like a cult member. But "meeting" with Alan today confirmed for me that it is an organization of which to be very proud!

I was thrilled with the behavior of the "crowd". Thank you, Boffer, for your part in getting this to happen.

And if/when we get Mel on-line, I will turn the world upside down to be able to attend!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Empty Re: Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan

Post  mckr3441 3/26/2010, 1:59 pm

Great job for getting this going Boffer. I hung in there till the very end. It was great! You get Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Star3 Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Star3 Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Star3 Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Star3 Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Star3 for making this happen.

Perhaps in a future chat, the guest could post an intro on the Forum ahead of time. Alan's intro was wonderful and worth waiting out. But it did take quite a bit of the time.

I'm so glad I was there. I learned more than I expected.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 3/26/2010, 2:07 pm

I wasn't able to chat... it was scheduled at a time i couldn't really do it. I know there are likely to be chats at other times, too, and I look forward to participating.

One question about the chat function: Some other message boards that I participate in have a feature in the chat that retains everything posted for a certain period of time, one of them has 24 hours, another holds info for one hour. Is this a function that is or could be implemented here? I'd love to go into the chat function tonight and read what everyone was saying.

Thanks!
~Wyld
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  ayanefan 3/26/2010, 2:14 pm

That was really fun and, as you said, Alan needs to type faster. It would have been great to have had a Skype session or some audio feed with Alan and Boffer via SFG chat, then we could have typed in our questions and grill him on how he creates electricity from SFG and a greenhouse Shocked That was cool.

The only issue I saw was that if you didn't type in, it would time you out after 20 minutes or so, I was surprised that hitting Refresh did not change your status as active.

That was really informative and it made me really upbeat about SFG and the future it holds. Exciting times indeed.
People that didn't make it, you missed a lot of neat information.

@Wyldflower: I sent you a transcript of today's chat.
ayanefan
ayanefan

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/26/2010, 2:28 pm

Wyldflower wrote:other message boards that I participate in have a feature in the chat that retains everything posted for a certain period of time
Thanks!
~Wyld

The chat box is an integrated function of the forum's software, and therefore has more limited options than a stand alone chat program. (I know you know this but for some others) It's not unlike MS trying to satisfy every demand for new features in their browser or O/S and coming up short. Other folks end up creating stand alone software that does a much better job.

But, it's what we have for now. If you log into the chat box, there is a button that says 'archive'. It holds the chat. Unfortunately, it's a relatively small file, that self refreshes as it gets full. So, you'll be able to see some of the chat right now, I haven't looked yet to see how far back it goes. The chat did start on time at 12 noon EST

I just looked-it's all there! cool
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  choksaw 3/26/2010, 2:33 pm

arrrggghhh i keep forgetting the server is on a diffrent time zone then mei logged in and thought it might have been cancled or something becaus ei wa sall alone at 12 noon my time.

Oh well hopefully ill catch him on the next chat session
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/26/2010, 2:44 pm

choksaw wrote: becaus ei wa sall alone at 12 noon my time.

LMAO The time posted was EST-isn't that what you're in, in FLA?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Daynannan 3/26/2010, 3:46 pm

I just happened to stumble in on the chat not realizing it there was a guest speaker. Alan is cool and I'm glad I caught part of it. Thanks for making it happen Boffer
Daynannan
Daynannan

Female Posts : 65

http://www.TheRedPineapple.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/26/2010, 3:51 pm

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix 3/26/2010, 3:56 pm

I wasn't there but read it all by going to the chat box and clicking on the archives button.

Great way to get things growing around here boffer. You did a great job.

Alan had lots of great information.

Looking forward to the next chat.
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 3/26/2010, 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone for participating. Yes, I need to type faster, but just so you know. I had other people asking me questions at the same time that I was talking to you guys as well! I rarely get a free moment, even here! Alan Very Happy
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 3/26/2010, 4:15 pm

Smile thanks for posting the thread with the transcript! Great idea, because now it's saved for 'posterity'.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/26/2010, 4:21 pm

I hope everybody knows I was just teasing about typing speed. It's the nature of the beast, it just takes time when you're the only one talking.

Besides, I know that in a normal chat environment, I can't keep up with him!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/26/2010, 4:22 pm

Oh brother, I was doing a homework assignment and compleatly missed that there was chat going on.

Deborah ....ptttthppphhhhh.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/26/2010, 6:24 pm

I missed the chat due to a scheduled appointment but I just finished reading the transcript. (Only took 15 minutes as opposed to 90. Wink )
Congratulations boffer on a job well done. Like others, hearing from Alan has me even more excited and more optimistic about the future and possibilities for SFG. Not only is it a great system, it is a foundation built upon just principles. I FEEL GREAT about about SFG, what it is, who it is, and what they are doing. I'm proud to be a part of something like this. I ordered my teacher certification course last week and it should arrive any day now. I can't wait to start sharing SFG with others.
I look forward to more chats and more great news from the Foundation. Thank you Alan!
rock on

Last edited by boffer on 3/26/2010, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : name correction)
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Theresa 3/26/2010, 9:54 pm

I was there for a little while, but had to leave. Thank you boffer for posting it for everyone! Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Star3
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Post  ayanefan 3/26/2010, 10:15 pm

I hope my comment about Alan not typing fast enough didn't offend him, I enjoyed every second of the chat and, yes, it was a huge success. I hope to be able to participate again. I was lucky today, I got to work from home so no firewall on the internet. Weeee!
ayanefan
ayanefan

Male Posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post  argardener 3/26/2010, 10:19 pm

I too was unable to attend but just finished reading the archive. It was very interesting. I noticed on the Home page under the list of certified teachers that there are NONE for my state of AR. I find this very puzzling as this is a very agricultural state, but not too surprised as it is dominated by large scale traditional farming. I'm a nurse and have lots of patients that are very wise farmers, yet they seem dumbfounded when I mention SFG. This is not my 1st year to SFG, but I am more determined and motivated this year than ever before to become successful and grow the most food I possibly can. I also want to learn to process/store my own food as well. I intend to pick a copy of the Ball Blue Book you mentioned boffer (others have recommended also). I agree with Alan, this is a tremendous stress reliever for me as my job is very stressful! I love people and love gardening (and have soooo much to learn) and am very interested in becoming certified in the future. Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Icon_smile
argardener

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 3/29/2010, 11:35 am

ayanefan wrote:I hope my comment about Alan not typing fast enough didn't offend him, I enjoyed every second of the chat and, yes, it was a huge success. I hope to be able to participate again. I was lucky today, I got to work from home so no firewall on the internet. Weeee!
No offense taken! just don't let it happen again! Feedback: Fridays host chat with Alan Lol (kidding)
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  N.Q 4/4/2010, 3:17 am

Ok , one of these days I'll remember to get up at 2 in the morning and join you for the chat

Trapper
N.Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down