Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch Toplef10watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch I22gcj10watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch Toplef10watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch I22gcj10watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch

+8
johnsonjlj
jimmy cee
CindiLou
fiddleman
camprn
staf74
walshevak
retired member 2
12 posters

Go down

watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch Empty watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch

Post  retired member 2 4/23/2011, 5:10 pm

I just came in from watering my 3 SFG by the cup method. Don't like it! Tooooo slow. How many do this? If you don't what do you do? And what is a good mulch to help hold in moisture? My plants get zero shade from noon til the sun goes down, so I'm thinking a little mulch might be in order.
retired member 2

Female Posts : 100

Back to top Go down

watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch Empty Re: watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch

Post  walshevak 4/23/2011, 5:21 pm

If I had my druthers, I'd set up a drip irrigation system. But since I don't, I use a wand down under the plants when I'm home and a sprinkler on a timer when I'm out of town.

A cheap stake sprinkler stuck into a 3/4" pvc pipe set over a piece of rebar.

watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch Beds_311

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch Empty Re: watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch

Post  staf74 4/23/2011, 5:22 pm

Deffo check out this thread.....

its basically what you are asking with lots of replies....

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6639-watering?highlight=watering

I mulch using simple pine bark nuggets but I will remove carefully at the end of the season or as they break down. Don't want them to interfere with pH as they decompose.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/23/2011, 5:23 pm

Nope, wont do the cup method. I use a watering wand on a hose. This gives me the ability to control where and how much water goes into the garden. I usually put the end of the wand right down near the soil surface to avoid watering the foliage and reduce splashing.
If I need mulch, I topdress with compost that isn't totally broken down yet. It seems to do the trick.
Check this link ~~~>Watering

camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  fiddleman 4/23/2011, 11:16 pm

I do the cup method on new transplants, and for a while afterwards. If we haven't gotten enough rain to keep the whole box somewhat moist I will water with a wand. But usually I do use a cup... a pretty big cup though. (Think Slurpee size) One 4x4 square will use a full 5 gallon bucket.

Up until this year I had a bucket out there for each of the boxes (5- 4x4 squares) plus one extra one in case one of the squares needed a bit more water for some reason. I filled the buckets up when done from the hose so the water would be just right when I got out of work the next day for another drink. If it was really hot, (not all that often in Michigan) then I will soak the garden well to allow the plants to tolerate it. This year I have added the equivalent of 2 extra boxes... so I doubt I will be taking it so slow this year. (4 4x4's and 1 4 x 12) Depends on the weather combination - heat and rain - as to what the demands of the garden will be.

I've been checking on some rain barrels lately... someone on Craiglist has food grade barrels for $15. I figure on going over there soon to pick up a couple three. Then I can use the rain water, rather than the hose to fill the buckets.

I don't mind mosey-ing around in the garden, checking on the plants, pulling a few weeds, munching on some lettuce, listening to the birds, or even talking with the wife. If it takes 15 minutes, well, I figure it's a better 15 minutes than sitting in front of the TV. Wink

Mark
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/23/2011, 11:22 pm

I did the cup method last year. I have a rain barrel right there so I didn't have to keep buckets of water ready. If it was really dry I used my sprinkler water jug. I do try to water UNDER the leaves though. I will probable do the same thing this year because being out in the garden is so peaceful for me. And I can keep good check on my plant babies! And my 4yr old grandson waters and waters and then says he needs to water some more! rofl... so watering is fun at my house.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/16/2013, 11:19 pm

After completing my first SFG bed, I am enjoying watering by hand and with a cup.
As Mel indicates in his book..." doing this put one in touch with the plants "
I suppose the little child in me has come out for I love running my hands down into the mix, feeling it's texture..
watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch Sfg_ga11
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 5/17/2013, 5:41 am

This is my second spring with a SFG and, for the first 6 months or so last year, watered using the cup method. Easier to do when you only have two 4'x16' boxes. Then we expanded and added a 4'x12'. Then we used sprinklers on timers, but had a huge problem with powdery mildew. So in January we installed a drip irrigation system on timers using T tape from Drip Works. LOVE IT!!!!! Especially since we expanded again and have about 350 sq ft worth of garden space now.
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 5/17/2013, 7:17 am

No cup and water bucket here, especially when the temps start rising here in GA. I spend 2 minutes letting the grid do the work and then I can move on.

Picture taken back in March

watering by the cup and ?'s about mulch P1010011
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/17/2013, 8:15 am

bnoles, I love your watering grid. How does it work and how do you make one?
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 5/17/2013, 11:28 am

I actually do the cup and bucket method but its really my kids that do the watering. They love it!! They are 6 and 2 and love to go get the cup and water each square lifting the leaves and watering. It takes them about 15-20 mins. if they stay on task normally get side track by the vegs they see and want to nibble or a bug that they have to watch.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/17/2013, 8:08 pm

I have 5 gal buckets to evaporate hose water in, then use a 2 cup measuring cup to water each seedling. For direct planted seeds I use my purple 2 gal watering can. As the plants get bigger and the air gets hotter, and I get tired of filling the tiny cup and or the watering can, I switch to the hose with a wand on the end in an attempt to stay under the leaves.

I use it all. I give up!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down