Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 Toplef10What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 I22gcj10What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 Toplef10What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 I22gcj10What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's in the garden right now??

+21
Nonna.PapaVino
ErinAdkins
stinkerbelle
yosoypanadero
shannon1
Dietryin
bullfrogbabe
camprn
dmsandlin
Pam Hazelwood
Goosegirl
selenamorning
milaneyjane
hartge01
FarmerValerie
CindiLou
walshevak
nancy
Glendale-gardener
madnicmom
BackyardBirdGardner
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's in the garden right now??

Post  camprn 4/8/2011, 8:44 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:And then, Valerie, there's Mrs. Brown of BBC fame, if you're female, and under age 90: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LvKg5aCG0&feature=player_embedded
a real ROFLMAOPMP, or the proverbial snort coffee through the nose.
Mwaaaahaaa, Hedgehog, tee hee, thanks for that.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's in the garden right now??

Post  herblover 4/9/2011, 2:51 pm

First planting today! Spinach, two varieties of lettuce, Swiss chard and one variety of radishes. Will plant other varieties of lettuce and radishes at 1 week intervals and plan on getting the peas in this week as well. Onions too.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Pam Hazelwood 4/9/2011, 3:20 pm

We had lettuce from the garden yesterday and today. I'm impatiently waiting for everything else to grow so we can eat it! It's soooo hot in Tennessee today that I covered the tops of my four squares with a mesh type material to try to deflect some of the hot sun. I hope today is not an indication of the rest of the summer!
Pam Hazelwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/9/2011, 9:22 pm

What's in the garden right now? 8 - yes EIGHT new SFG boxes!What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 832433 The weather finally cooperated and I got to put them together. Pics coming soon, but after all that hard labor I am going to soak in a hot bath! What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 410210

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/10/2011, 12:40 am

I have a radish up!! Rofl..that sounds sooo funny! What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 889526 But it is the first seed to germinate in the garden this year! Of course the onion sets and the garlic are doing great! Oh by the way, garlic is in a bed that is not true mm. It was before I had the new book so has just amended soil. That will be next year! I did make a 6" layer of mm in my bathtub, on top of the old soil, that I put my green onions/lettuce/radishes in. Green onions are doing sooo good! BUT the radish is in a true 2x4 sfg box with grid and mm and hoop cover rofl...
So for me, a winner by a radish! What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 53366
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 4/10/2011, 9:09 pm

Everything is up!

I went down to Georgetown with my family for the last 2 days and in my haste to leave, I forgot to cover up my beds with the netting I had planned to use. I was gone all day yesterday and today and i assumed I would come back to chewed up lettuce. Instead, the lettuces are all perfect, my broccoli is droopy but still there and my peas, spinach and carrots are all popping their heads out of the soil! My green onions are going nuts and I saw the first potato sprouts coming up.

I also started a bunch of peas in verm inside on Friday night and I just checked them and I can already see a couple of them coming though!! Amazing! 2 days!

I'm supposed to have a great week here, I can't wait! I also have tons of seedlings ready to be repotted. I'm about to burst waiting for my frost date!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/11/2011, 5:51 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:And then, Valerie, there's Mrs. Brown of BBC fame, if you're female, and under age 90: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LvKg5aCG0&feature=player_embedded

She's a rare one is Mrs Brown.

Yesterday in garden hot plants gasping for a drink of water. Today rain and ravenous slugs.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/11/2011, 8:05 am

I don't think I've shared what's out there yet, let's see.

Beets 10 sqrs of 9
Carrots 6 sqrs of 9
Sugar snap 4 sqrs of 3
Blonde Pea 4 sqrs of 3
Cukes 3 sq of 1 (more to come)
Basil 4 sqrs of 1
Broccoli 16 sqrs of 1
Califlower 8 sqrs of 1
Cabbage 8 sqrs of 1
Onions-too many to count, have Texas Sweet & TX Super Sweet
Garlic 4 Sqrs of 9
Marigolds
Crook Neck Squash 5
Zuchinni 4
Radish-too many to count
Spinach 4 sqrs of 9
Romaine Lettuce 3 sqrs of 4
Leaf Lettuce 3 sqrs of 4
Swiss Chard 4 sqrs of 1
Malibar Spinach 4 sqrs of 2
Volunteer Tomato (probably early girl) 1
RAIN

As soon as this storm system passes more is going out. I feel comfortable enough with the hot/cold and hight and strength of transplants that need to go out.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/11/2011, 8:24 am

What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 802240 What's in the garden right now? 24 squares more of box than I anticipated in my garden plan! When I actually measured the plots to start building I had a little more room than I had guessed was hiding under the snow. Since I had enough wood....... What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 802240

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/11/2011, 9:05 am

CindiLou wrote:I did make a 6" layer of mm in my bathtub...

I could never do this. We have so many trees around here, their root systems invade our sewer systems. No way I'd ever wash MM down the drain and start a subterrainean SFG for my trees....lol.

Nice work everyone. Looks like the Midwest Spring is creeping northward more and more everyday!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/11/2011, 11:59 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
CindiLou wrote:I did make a 6" layer of mm in my bathtub...

I could never do this. We have so many trees around here, their root systems invade our sewer systems. No way I'd ever wash MM down the drain and start a subterrainean SFG for my trees....lol.

Nice work everyone. Looks like the Midwest Spring is creeping northward more and more everyday!

Sorry BBG...I meant in a clawfoot tub out in the yard What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 889526
I have a sitting area that has clawfoot tub, double washtub, cast iron pots, and misc other things that I plant in. I thought about a toilet but figured the town image police would protest...hummm I aint in a good mood with them anyway so I just might do it this year rofl....
the bed is horseshoe shaped but straight edges with my covered swing in the middle area...just perfect for napping on a hot summer day with a breeze blowing and the leaves waving on the tree. Oh the tree ( a big old maple) is in the middle of the long side! Here and there are potted plants, hostas, corelbell, honeysuckle on a trellis, and mics ornaments. Kids call it "mom's sleep area" rofl..
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/11/2011, 12:27 pm

Cindy Lou, I was waiting for you to share that, I read on another post that your tub was outside..... If you do go with the toilet, get the old timey kind that has the water box above it, and let ivy and such trail down. That would match the tub.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/11/2011, 12:43 pm

Love the toilet idea.

When we were pastoring a church and living in the parsonage, I wanted to put the old toilet we took out of the house into the front flowerbed and put a fountain in it. The church board, with their inability to think creatively and concern about "looks", wouldn't go for it. What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 675916

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero 4/11/2011, 12:47 pm

I now have in some form (either seed sprout, or transplant in the greenhouse) :

tomatoes
peppers
onions
cabbage
marigolds
carrots
snap peas
lettuce
spinach
basil
broccoli
potatoes
eggplant
blueberry bush
blackberry vine
strawberries
etc etc etc see my blog for more..... i don't know how many waves of succession I will have because it seems like I am planting something every day.....
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/11/2011, 7:17 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:Cindy Lou, I was waiting for you to share that, I read on another post that your tub was outside..... If you do go with the toilet, get the old timey kind that has the water box above it, and let ivy and such trail down. That would match the tub.

OMG Valerie! I hadn't thought of one like that...humm wonder where I could find on ****slinks off to yahoo****
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/12/2011, 1:15 am

1 celeb. tom
1 Black from Tula tom
1 patio bush tom
3 patio kuhl bush cucs
2 pattypan bush squash
1 Black beauty eggplant
1 Ichiban eggplant
a bunch of spring onions
Thai basal
Spearmint
Cilantro
1 Purple bell pepper
1 Datil pepper
1 hot chillie III pepper
Tricolored sage

all in containers Embarassed building box next week so will be planting more Smile
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick 4/12/2011, 12:22 pm

Um...let's see if I can remember...

6 squares spinach (baby leaf and satin)
2 squares carrots
4 squares shelling peas
6 squares lettuce (black seeded simpson, salad bowl and mache)
2 squares radishes
1 square + container of white sweet onion plants
1 square of collard greens - just because
2 squares of beets (chiogga right now - planting more each 2 weeks until I have 6)
3 squares broccoli
3 squares cauliflower
3 squares cabbage
3 totes of potatoes (yukon gold, kennebec and norland red)
strawberries (planted last year in a landscape stone ring that wasn't being used)
Asparagus (planted this year in another landscape stone ring in March - not sure if it's dead or not)

Yet to go in...

Pole beans
tomatoes (4 kinds from the Wintersown seeds - hopefully if they survive seed starting experiment chapter 2)
Corn
more beets
more lettuce
more spinach
zucchini (that I'm going to try to train up a pole like in the one video link on here somewhere)
muskmelon (in a weird raised bed in the corner of our yard to hide the stupid cable box thing)
cucumbers
acorn squash

I think that's everything. Trellises are up with the new concrete mesh stuff and tonight I try to build a "UCDavis" compost pile that will be ready in 3 weeks. May the force be with me.

geek

Oh yeah, and sweet potatoes in another tub. Can't forget the sweet potatoes...the slips are growing in a jar on my counter.

Last edited by Smartchick on 4/12/2011, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added to list)
Smartchick
Smartchick

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/12/2011, 1:40 pm

On windowsills, in greenhouse, in containers....

Carrots
Parsnips
Potatoes early - Arran Pilot
Potatoes - Salad
Potatoes - Desiree
Early purple sprouting broccolli
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Peas
Cut and come again Lettuce
Lettuce - Mixed
Rocket
Mizuna
Cress
Spring salad onions
Onions
Garlic
Leeks
Gooseberry
Rosemary
Thyme
Apple Mint
Mint
Chives
Barkie

Back to top Go down

What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 Empty In the garden.

Post  ErinAdkins 4/12/2011, 6:41 pm

Lots of rain! I am not sure it is ever gonna stop!Shocked

Here is what is going on in my garden so far.
In the beds:
3 squares onions
2 squares lettuce (2 more to plant)
2 squares broccoli (4 more to plant)
2 squares carrots (3 more to plant)
2 squares basil
strawberries are in their hanging basket
potatoes are in their galvanized tub
blackberry and raspberry bushes are planted
marigolds on outside of boxes
snapdragons near my garden paradise
Rosemary and lavendar in pots

Started indoors waiting for more consistant weather:
tomatoes
eggplant
bell pepper
jalapeno pepper
chives
sage
mint

Yet to be planted:
garden beans
squash
corn
cilantro
watermelon
cantaloupe
cucumber
okra
dill
gladiolus

I believe that is it! What a Face
ErinAdkins
ErinAdkins

Female Posts : 20

http://themisadventuresofanordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/13/2011, 10:08 pm

Radishes and green onions doing good in the tub.

I have lettuce, radishes, peas, and arugula up in the salad bed! If it doesn't rain tomorrow it is time for planting #2 in that bed. And I have to get the fence panel and get it set up.

Was watering one of the west beds AND THE DARN CATS DUG UP MY WALLA WALLA ONIONS!!! Sad I started them from seed! Darn felines! I have never had an onion dug up, jeez...

Made the MM for another bed today. None of the kids could be conned into thinking it would be fun this time! What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 889526 So I had to do it myself. I just used a smaller tarp and made smaller amounts at a time. Shh...no telling my doctor...he seems to think because I have M.S. I am handicapped. LOl love when I get him ticked!

I put my 2 squares of carrots for Carrot Week in that bed.

The bed looks half full because it is! rofl..
I use scrap wood and this bed is 12" deep. I only filled to 8".

What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 West_b10

Also planted 4 "Nanking" sugar sweet cherry bushes. Three in my little orchard and one at my daughter's

Now it is time to do homework then take a shower to get rid of the dirt, then cuddle up with hubby and snoozy.

Better take the shower first What's in the garden right now?? - Page 3 889526
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3