Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lining the boxes? Toplef10Lining the boxes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lining the boxes? I22gcj10Lining the boxes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lining the boxes? Toplef10Lining the boxes? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lining the boxes? I22gcj10Lining the boxes? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lining the boxes?

5 posters

Go down

Lining the boxes? Empty Lining the boxes?

Post  PNG_Grandma Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Some of the folks in our new garden group want to line the inside of the boxes to protect the wood, not the bottoms, only the inside walls of the boxes. Any suggestions? Some want black plastic, some are talking paint/primer, some want metal sheeting. Geesh! I think the wood will last for several years as is...it's Douglas Fir 2"x8" as 4'x8' frames. They are stacked two high for a depth of 15" because everyone thought the 8" depth was not deep enough. These are gardeners new to SQF and haven't tried it yet. Sooo, any suggestions for lining the frames to protect the wood from moisture from the soil?? Thanks!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Lining the boxes? Empty Lining the boxes?

Post  happycamper Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:43 am

Hello PNG_Grandma! I know someone that lined the inside with black plastic and they said it worked fine. Another person that used pond liner (expensive) that also worked.
I can give you my experience with Douglas Fir and hope this helps. My oldest raised bed, (9 years old now) is a 4'x8'x24". It was never painted and exposed to the weather (lots of rain in the Pacific Northwest) all this time and the wood is still not rotted at the bottom. I did paint it this year to match the other bed and hope that it will give me a few more years before it rots. (It will probably collapse since I said something! lol)
I have two 4'x4'x12" beds that I stained. (top edge, outside walls and the raw cut ends NOT the inside or bottom edge that touches the ground) One 4'x8'x24" that I painted (Kilz primer I had on hand), and again, NOT the inside or bottom edge that touches the ground.
I would not seal or paint anything that touches the soil itself due to possible chemicals leaching into the soil mix. I have learned that you can grow in 6 inches of Mel's Mix! It is a highly productive soil mix and if you follow the book it will work!
I am a new to the Square Foot Gardening method this year and hope that your group gets many years of gardening enjoyment!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Lining the boxes? Empty coating for beds and such

Post  LaFee Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:34 am

There IS an option for sealing things with a painted-on sealer.

In the roof-coating and/or foundation-coating department, look for a WATERBASED asphalt emulsion -- the ingredients should read something like asphalt, kaolin (clay), and water.

THAT can be used for waterproofing your frames, pots, etc....once it's dried, it's nearly completely inert, as it's then just asphalt.

The company I used to work for doesn't make theirs any more, but there were customers who used it to line ponds in their gardens...with no problems for the koi.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Lining the boxes? Empty Re: Lining the boxes?

Post  PNG_Grandma Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks HappyCamper and LaFee, we appreciate your comments and suggestions. Honestly, I'm totally against doing ANYTHING to the insides of our garden boxes but I was out-voted. As of right now the boxes have been sprayed with Kilz on the insides and will soon have a black plastic attached to the inside over the Kilz. I think this is over-kill, but hey, if that's what the majority wants, well...I'm just the organizer. The whole project is an experiment. Umpteen neighbors are adding their own suggestions and 2 cent's worth, most is pretty outrageous and we just nod and smile, then do what we already planned!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 pm

The 25 boxes we bought last spring were supposed to be cedar. We lined a couple of them and left a couple more alone, but then 2 of the boxes started warping and started popping their screws. Katie wants to line them all. I don't want to fool with it. Since the rain is keeping me from filling these boxes anyway, we'll probably have to wait until spring. So, what's the current wisdom on lining or painting/spraying/staining these boxes? thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:42 pm

countrynaturals wrote:The 25 boxes we bought last spring were supposed to be cedar.

You bought 25 4-foot square garden boxes? Where? How?

I'm experimenting with painting now. But I'm not worried about stuff leaching out of paint. You get more toxins sitting in a car these days (that "new car smell" is mostly vinyl).

If it was me, I'd try to get them some place dry or at least covered with a tarp until you know what you want to do.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down