Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Toplef10Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans I22gcj10Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Toplef10Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans I22gcj10Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans

3 posters

Go down

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Empty Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans

Post  Blackrose 6/19/2010, 9:16 pm

And something's eating my beets!

The bottom leaves on my eggplant, broccoli and bush beans are turning yellow. We have had a lot of rain here lately and I haven't had to water my garden for 2 weeks because of it. I have been a tad worried that the garden has been getting too much water. Could that be the problem??

Also, something has been nibbling on my beets. There are holes in all of the leaves. I found what looked like a little teeny tiny white caterpillar on one of the leaves tonight. I promptly squished it. Does anyone have any idea what it could be and how can I stop it from eating my beets before I get a chance to?

Here are some pics of my poor plants in case that helps anyone with a diagnosis:

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Img00313

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Img00314

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Img00315

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Img00316

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Img00310

And the beets:

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Img00311

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Img00312

Please help! Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Icon_cry
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Empty Re: Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans

Post  camprn 6/19/2010, 11:10 pm

Egglant & others, lower leaves normal, snip them off. If you think you are watering too much, you probably are, so cut back a bit. This time of year the beet greens really start looking rough with slug holes and whatnot. If it was me I would plant more beets now. I love beets! Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Empty Re: Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans

Post  Chopper 6/20/2010, 2:34 am

I noticed you had one leaf that was yellow with green veins. I remembered it when I was reading this:

Iron (Fe)Helps in formation of chlorophyllYellow leaves; veins remain greenIron sulfate, iron chelate
I got this from: http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/2009/02/chemistry-of-gardening-what-nutrients.html
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 6/20/2010, 7:57 am

Thank you for the responses!

Camprn: So, it is possible that the issue could be too much water? I haven't watered the garden in over 2 weeks because we've been getting a lot of rain. The soil has been really wet. My tabletop SFG has all the drainage holes that were recommended by Mel. Maybe I need more in mine with all the rain we've been having. Also, I was under the impression that you can't overwater Mel's Mix. Hmmm....

As for the beets, I don't think I have slugs. I have a tabletop SFG and I'm not sure they can climb up that high. I could be wrong. Do you think the beet roots are ok with the leaves being so destroyed?

Chopper: Thank you for the information about iron deficiencies. The plant with the yellow leaf and dark green veins is my bush bean. I did some more research based on your recommendation and found that the leaves usually start turning yellow from the top of the plant down with an iron deficiency. Maybe my plants are backwards. Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Icon_wink

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Maybe someone else with more experience with tabletop SFG's than I do has some ideas for me. Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans 601593

Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans 109486
Blackrose
Blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/20/2010, 8:07 am

I think that most of that yellowing at the base of your plants is probably due to leaves having exhausted themselves and are no longer making food for the plant. Good tip about the iron deficiency symptoms! Sorry about all your rain, there's not a lot you can do about it and it sounds like drainage is not the issues, which is good. No need to water if the rain is already falling from the heavens. As to the 'you cant water too much' it mostly works for the MM, but too much water can flush out nutrients from the mix. Too much water can be as bad for plants as not enough water, just my personal experience.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 6/20/2010, 8:37 am

I'll be heading out to the garden to snip off those yellowing leaves as soon as I can get these kiddos dressed and fed. Leaves turning yellow on eggplant, broccoli and bush beans Icon_biggrin

My DH did some research last night and was worried about the abundance of rain draining the nutrients out the soil. So, he went out and side dressed the squares with some extra compost. Even if that's not the problem, I'm sure it won't hurt to add a little extra compost. Especially for the eggplant which is starting to bloom and hopefully bear some fruit.
Blackrose
Blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down