Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow Toplef10Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow I22gcj10Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow Toplef10Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow I22gcj10Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow

3 posters

Go down

Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow Empty Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow

Post  elliephant 10/20/2010, 8:55 pm

Well, my crookneck squash is really throwing me for a loop. The first couple looked totally normal. Then they started coming out green with yellow spots. Ok, figured it was an aphid transmitted virus. Toward the end, my green squash had yellow spots back during the early summer.

But today I noticed that some of the new growth has yellow squash again! I had treated with neem oil and pulled off some of the leaves that were turning yellow and some that were developing powdery mildew...so could the plant be overcoming the virus? Is that even possible? The green ones were like this from the time they first appeared and I harvested one yesterday that was full size and it still looked the same. I'm really curious as to what these yellow ones will do!

Anyone have experience with this?

Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow 100_3994
Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow 100_3996
Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow 100_3997
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow Empty Re: Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow

Post  Furbalsmom 10/21/2010, 12:42 am

Is it just one plant
that started out with yellow baby squash that grew up yellow
then started having baby green squash with yellow spots that grew up green with yellow spots
and now has new baby squash that are just yellow?
And is that a green squash with yellow spots hiding behind the lower baby yellow squash in picture #3?

AMAZING

I have never heard of squash changing their colors mid-season. But, I sure would like to have one just for its uniqueness. Shocked
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow Empty Re: Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow

Post  elliephant 10/21/2010, 5:49 pm

Yes to all questions. Laughing

It's really interesting, isn't it? I've been hand pollinating them, so I've paid really close attention. And it's the only plant that I have that's to the point of having blossoms.
elliephant

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 10/21/2010, 7:49 pm

AMAZING! Did you plant from seed? I don't know how a single plant could bear multiple types of fruit.
I also don't see how recovering from a virus could change the fruit of a plant, though I don't know anything about viruses in plants.
I think it is interesting to find out what happened, but mostly, I would just enjoy the various squash.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 10/22/2010, 9:17 am

Well, actually, from what I've read, it's common when a squash plant is infected by a virus for the fruit of change color, at least a mottling of the other color (yellow on green, green on yellow). Also, from what I read, people have often thought it was a cross-pollination issue, but it's not; that would only show up in the next generation.

This was a yellow crookneck seed from Baker's Creek. But it doesn't have to do with what kind of seed, just an effect of the virus (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've seen from all sorts of university-sponsered papers online.) I'll try to get out there to take more pictures today. From the window it looks like the little ones are turing green now, so I guess my "recovery" theory was incorrect. Maybe I just didn't notice the others when they were that small because the plant was still bearing yellow fruit at that time. I've got 3 squash that blossomed on the same day that will be ready to pick today or tomorrow...sure glad it doesn't affect their ediblity (is that even a word?!)
elliephant

Back to top Go down

Yellow squash turning green...then back to yellow Empty Chameleon squash?

Post  ander217 10/23/2010, 12:02 pm

Elliephant, have you tried emailing Baker Creek and asking if they have encountered anything similar in their squash? I've emailed them a couple of times with issues about some of my plants and I've always received friendly replies back. One was helpful and one, they just didn't know.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down