Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what are these LITTLE hungry worms? Toplef10what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? I22gcj10what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
what are these LITTLE hungry worms? Toplef10what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? I22gcj10what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

what are these LITTLE hungry worms?

+2
SFG in Chicago
L&K-IL
6 posters

Go down

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? Empty what are these LITTLE hungry worms?

Post  L&K-IL 6/9/2010, 12:16 am

topic says it all...
they're small (the leaf is the size of a bottle cap)
I have random holes (nothing crazy extensive yet) on a bunch of different crops. These were all on the snow peas.
It's almost like they tried all the crops and landed on the snow peas and I FINALLY found them.
If anyone would like to save me the research time, it is much appreciated!

And where the heck to these little suckers come from? My beds are elevated 32". I guess they do move fast and stick to pretty much anything.

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 10_06_26

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 10_06_25

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 10_06_24

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 10_06_23
L&K-IL

Male Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? Empty Re: what are these LITTLE hungry worms?

Post  SFG in Chicago 6/9/2010, 12:52 am

looks like some sort of caterpillar. They didn't crawl up from the ground. Whatever moth/butterfly they are as adults lays the eggs right on their preferred plants.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? Empty Re: what are these LITTLE hungry worms?

Post  plb 6/9/2010, 3:27 am

I think it's a pea moth grub. If you google it, you'll find a lot of info on what to do. The moth lays the eggs on the plant, and then the little caterpillars hatch. They're horrible little pests, and they will burrow in your pea pods, make holes in the peas and scatter their poo in the pod...
I think it's a good idea to grow peas under insect mesh...
plb

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 6/9/2010, 11:50 pm

any treatment?
didn't find much online...
L&K-IL

Back to top Go down

Post  plb 6/10/2010, 7:12 am

Prevention is best. It consists of choosing varieties that will flower at a time when the pea moth is not active if you can, and use insect mesh to carefully cover the peas so the moth cannot lay the eggs on them.
There are sprays, but if the grubs are in the pod they won't do any good, and if you spray too early it won't work either. What stage are your peas at?
I'd suggest you talk to your local extension expert to get some advice, they know all this stuff very well, and they'll also be able to confirm if this is indeed pea moth or not.
plb

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 6/10/2010, 10:05 pm

here's a pic from a few days ago....
they're on the far right hand side...

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? 10_06_27
L&K-IL

Back to top Go down

Post  plb 6/11/2010, 3:53 am

They look still small, I don't think they're flowering yet, correct? In that case you should be able to spray them and get rid of them before they get in the pods; ask the local extension or a garden centre for advice on what to use and when. However, you might not want to use chemicals on your food... Maybe you can try and pick the grubs by hand and dispose of them, if you can stomach it, and in the mean time put some insect netting to prevent the moth to get more eggs on your peas. If you can get rid of the lot and protect the flowers, your peas should be safe. Even If you don't manage to get rid of them all, remember that even if a pod is attacked, the grub will not eat all the peas in the pod, so you should be able to salvage a good percentage of your crop and just discard the single peas that have not been munched on.
The other thing to keep in mind, according to various articles, is that any surviving grub will overwinter in the soil, ready to come up in spring as a moth and lay more eggs on your peas. That means that if you have a pea moth problem, you shouldn't grow peas in the same soil for two years. Hopefully you have some other box you can use for peas next year.
plb

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/11/2010, 10:06 am

I would use BT/Thuricide ( http://www.dirtworks.net/B.T.-Insecticidal-Soap.html )
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  plb 6/11/2010, 12:27 pm

Pea moth is not among the pests listed in the directions of Thuricide. I'd check with the local extension before putting stuff that might not work for this specific pest.
plb

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/11/2010, 1:07 pm

plb wrote:Pea moth is not among the pests listed in the directions of Thuricide. I'd check with the local extension before putting stuff that might not work for this specific pest.

In my experience, BT usually works on small caterpillars alike. If you are trying to stay organic I'd try this, or neem oil. Push comes to shove you can try sevin.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 6/12/2010, 10:34 pm

Well...the good news is the damage seems to be under control. I found 5 little grubs in total and put all 5 out of their misery.

I'm just going to keep watching and see if the damage continues. I have pole peas coming up now.

And to answer your question, it looks like they're starting to flower.
L&K-IL

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 6/13/2010, 1:50 am

BT will work on anything that chews the leaves...
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 6/13/2010, 3:32 pm

Pulled one more worm off...he was an all green caterpillar-like nuisance.

It's so bizarre....there is a little bit of eating going on on all the plants....
Maybe the 3-4 daddy long-legged spiders hanging out in various places are taking care of the nuisances before I find them...

For example, something was nipping at the carrot tops, and leaving some very small droppings, but I can't find anything.
L&K-IL

Back to top Go down

Post  L&K-IL 6/13/2010, 3:33 pm

By the way...the peas are doing OK....they are yellow for about the bottom 30% of the plant.
I wonder if it's the splashing of compost, etc. up on the plants due to all the rain...
The upper 2/3 of the plants look great, and they're flowering.
L&K-IL

Back to top Go down

Post  plb 6/14/2010, 11:26 am

Caterpillars can be very good at camouflage. I have a small parsley plant, and at some point it was showing signs of being eaten by something. Since it was up on a table, I thought it must be a caterpillar and not a slug. Well, I had to inspect it 4 different times before I found the little pest, despite the fact that the plant had just 4 stems and a handful of leaves; it just had exactly the same color of the plant, and it was very easy to miss... Keep looking!
plb

Back to top Go down

what are these LITTLE hungry worms? Empty re: what are these little worms

Post  Maya Papaya 6/15/2010, 5:48 pm

OMG! I had the same little worms on my lettuce. I just picked them off ASAP - I haven't found anymore. I think the best prevention is early detection. I don't know what they were.
Maya Papaya
Maya Papaya

Female Posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down