Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square Toplef10Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square I22gcj10Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square Toplef10Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square I22gcj10Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

harvest potatoe high rise square

+10
Lavender Debs
Momma Pajama
PB
Ha-v-v
cherriesjubilee
Retired Member 1
fkarl
Megan
dmpower
Josh
14 posters

Go down

Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square Empty harvest potatoe high rise square

Post  Josh 5/29/2010, 5:14 pm

We have a 3 x 6 SFG just for potatoes and I had one square of potatoes in my SFG so I decided to go ahead and harvest my square and see if I had any potatoes. I used Mel's high rise method.
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square Empty Re: harvest potatoe high rise square

Post  dmpower 5/29/2010, 5:23 pm

That is sooo cool!! Congratulations!!
Is that this year's harvest? How long ago did you plant them 6-8 weeks ago??
dmpower
dmpower

Female Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square Empty Re: harvest potatoe high rise square

Post  Megan 5/29/2010, 5:24 pm

Very nice! What was your overall high-rise depth?
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 5/29/2010, 5:45 pm

They are this years and I planted them around 3-31. I decided to take them up early cause I wanted to see if there was any potatoes in there and to free up one of my squares.

The high rise is made from a 1x4 sitting on the original 1x6 inch deep box.

In our potato SFG we have two of the 1x4 high rise boxes sitting on the original 1x6 deep box and that is as high as we are going with it.
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  fkarl 5/29/2010, 6:44 pm

Nice job on them taters! I'm brand new to gardening period and have started with the SFG method so thats all I know...... no bad habits for me to break. I have also planted some potatoes and they are growing vigorously! 6 inch original depth of the box plus two 4 inch strips added on top of that! I will "hill" them up tomorrow and probably just let them grow at that depth. 14 inches ought to yield me a bunch don't you think?? Nice videos by the way, thanks for sharing!
fkarl
fkarl

Male Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/29/2010, 7:49 pm

That's a great harvest of new potatoes out of just one square. Good for you!
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  cherriesjubilee 5/29/2010, 9:34 pm

Josh,
This is excellent! It will be a while before I'll take on potatoes. Very impressive.
cherriesjubilee
cherriesjubilee

Female Posts : 48

http://sherry-a-casa.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/29/2010, 9:55 pm

Im so encouraged Josh !! I have 4 sq ft of potatoes in a 10 inch box 1x4 box.. and then I have a raised bed of sorts with 14 sq ft of pototoes !! And thats what you got with one square foot!! Im encouraged. Thank you so much for sharing !

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 5/29/2010, 11:14 pm

Great Josh!! I didn't plant potatos this year. Maybe next.
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Momma Pajama 5/30/2010, 9:19 am

Wow! Awesome harvest for only a few months! I am also trying potatoes for the first time this year. I have 2 red potato squares and one white baking potato square. I think having a separate potato bed would be a good idea!
Momma Pajama
Momma Pajama

Female Posts : 58

http://momma-pajama.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/30/2010, 9:42 am

Suddenly I'm thinking bins are a mistake. That looked so easy.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/30/2010, 7:17 pm

Aha! I was inspired. I have one plant (the one on the right), as you see below, that was just not cutting it. So, I dug it up (planted about a week before Josh) and got four very small potatoes. And, I was hungry. So I actually ate them without taking pictures! LOL. They sure were tender!

Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square 5_may_30
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 5/31/2010, 5:30 pm

It was fun to see how many I was going to get, I didn't think there would be that many,there was 4 about the size of a baseball,the others were just bit size. My mom cooked them on the grill with butter and they were GOOD Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square Smilie_yummy
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/1/2010, 10:34 am

I've been growing potatoes (or trying to) since my Oregonian brother told me a couple of years ago that I COULD grow them in my yard, since they don't require much sunlight or water.

Well, I overwatered some and, until this spring, harvested only a few tiny ones.

But voila! I've dug two squares and harvested 4-5 spuds from each. Most of these are about 5-6 oz., about the size I buy at the supermarket. The others go into sauteed recipes or stews. And they are delicious!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square Empty Red Potatoes vs. Brown

Post  Shoda 6/1/2010, 12:14 pm

You folks got me thinking about potatoes and then Home Depot had a a bag of starters SO.... I had to buy it! It says it is for red potatoes and it says to harvest in summer. I am assuming that is because that is when they are actually going to be red.

If I wait to harvest until the tops die off in fall, won't they be brown? Aren't red potatoes and brown potatoes basically from the same plant, just harvested at different times?
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 6/1/2010, 12:54 pm

Red potatoes are potatoes with red skins, meat is white. I have adirondack blue and their meat will be a bluish color, cant wait for these !! I just now have leaves and they are a bluish hint in their green. I have russets that are in longer than the blue and so excited !! This is my second year with potatoes, last year they were red and my soil and the gardener herself were lacking. We got tiny new potatoes to share. This is a link I found here on the forum I think.
Seed Potatoes

Our first leaves of the adirondack blues

Potatoes - harvest potatoe high rise square 102_0916

I would like to try lots of varieties as I get going:)
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/1/2010, 3:16 pm

My dad used to have the philosophy that if you are going to have a vegetable garden, you should have things you can't get at the store easily. Those potatoes are a perfect example. I think I am going to branch out a bit there too. Sounds like fun.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 6/1/2010, 3:33 pm

My dad used to have the philosophy that if you are going to have a
vegetable garden, you should have things you can't get at the store
easily.

Sounds like my parents, they would take us out every so often my sister and I to a "fancy" dinner. We said what do we order, they said.. order what you cant have at home. You get burgers at home all the time, get a steak etc. I love that thought Smile Just reverse and boy do I like it, we have green egg laying hens for this reason too. I love color and the garden and life offers so much I want it all !! Am I asking for too much ? Its the oxygen going to my head from all my SFG plants doing so well.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 6/1/2010, 5:05 pm

I've got to try those blue potatoes next year! I've never seen a blue potato!
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 6/1/2010, 5:17 pm

Nice harvest Josh. Congrats. Very Happy
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/1/2010, 6:37 pm

Shoda wrote:You folks got me thinking about potatoes and then Home Depot had a a bag of starters SO.... I had to buy it! It says it is for red potatoes and it says to harvest in summer. I am assuming that is because that is when they are actually going to be red.

If I wait to harvest until the tops die off in fall, won't they be brown? Aren't red potatoes and brown potatoes basically from the same plant, just harvested at different times?

No, red and brown potatoes are not harvested at different times from the same plant. They are different varieties. Red potatoes are a 'waxy' potato, while brown potatoes (also known as Russett, Idaho, Maine, or Burbank) are 'starchy' potatoes. (Yellow potatoes like Yukon Gold fall somewhere in the middle.) Waxy potatoes hold their shape well when cooked and are best when boiled, like you would do for potato salad, or baked in a casserole such as scalloped potatoes. Starchy potatoes get fluffy, and are best used baked in their skins, mashed, fried, french fries, etc.

That is not to say that most of the time you can't use one for the purpose of another, just you may not get ideal results. Really good french fries (the type you par fry first and then fry a second time at a hotter temp) will not work with waxy potatoes, though, and I doubt Potatoes Anna would, either.

Here is a link to the National Potato Council which has more information.

Hope this helps! Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down