Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Non "fluffy" peat... Toplef10Non "fluffy" peat... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Non "fluffy" peat... I22gcj10Non "fluffy" peat... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Non "fluffy" peat... Toplef10Non "fluffy" peat... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Non "fluffy" peat... I22gcj10Non "fluffy" peat... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Non "fluffy" peat...

4 posters

Go down

Non "fluffy" peat... Empty Non "fluffy" peat...

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 11/29/2022, 9:55 pm

I finally managed to find the time to buy my MM ingredients recently, and took a first look at the peat.  It seems that it's not as dried out as the stuff you folks talk about, since I had no problem wetting it.  (I actually had an old bowl on the kitchen bench for about a week, adding water gradually and waiting to see what happened - hubby got a bit sick of it! Laughing )

I was expecting the peat to be kind of like compressed moss, and that decompressing it would yield something that is kinda fluffy.  But this stuff is just like dirt, very easy to crumble.  Not at all like the solid blocks I've read about here and elsewhere.  Here's my best attempt at a picture:

Non "fluffy" peat... Img_2613

What do you folks think?  Does this peat need fluffing and if so what should I do?  Also, given that I had no problem increasing its moisture content, I'm wondering if it's not as dry as what you folks buy and therefore I need to buy more of it to get the volume right.  The stuff in my test didn't really seem to increase in volume although it must have to some extent, since I was adding water.  But it wasn't obvious.

If anyone needs any more details please ask away!  I'm not sure what else I can say and this newbie is pretty stumped... pale
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

Back to top Go down

Non "fluffy" peat... Empty Humidity, for Peat's sake

Post  markqz 11/29/2022, 10:47 pm

I don't know what everyone else does, but I count by volume after the material has been fluffed.

A quick glance at Auckland weather tells me that you've been having 80 to 95 percent humidity. Maybe the material had already wetted itself?

markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Non "fluffy" peat... Empty Re: Non "fluffy" peat...

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 11/29/2022, 11:10 pm

markqz wrote:I don't know what everyone else does, but I count by volume after the material has been fluffed.

A quick glance at Auckland weather tells me that you've been having 80 to 95 percent humidity. Maybe the material had already wetted itself?

Thanks, Mark, but what is fluffing??  Is it simply the crumbling up that I've been doing? (to produce what's in the photo)  This doesn't seem to be changing the volume at all, so I figure there's something else I should be doing.  Or, it's not nearly as compressed as the stuff Stateside.
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 11/30/2022, 12:04 am

KiwiSFGnewbie wrote: Or, it's not nearly as compressed as the stuff Stateside.
That's a distinct possibility. In the U.S., the peat is pretty solid. Kind of like a soft brick. It needs to be broken up in order to mix with the other materials. If your peat is sourced locally, they might not bother with the compression.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 11/30/2022, 12:15 am

markqz wrote:
That's a distinct possibility. In the U.S., the peat is pretty solid. Kind of like a soft brick. It needs to be broken up in order to mix with the other materials. If your peat is sourced locally, they might not bother with the compression.
Hmmm, "soft brick" does sort of describe what I have here, but crumbling it is really easy.  I don't need any implements at all to get pieces off it.  What do you do to "fluff" it up?  Do you simply crumble it in your hands, or something more than that?  I'm really trying to understand what I need to do, esp since its state will determine whether I need more of it.  I cannot imagine that what I have will expand to 80-100% its current volume.
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 11/30/2022, 7:20 am

KiwiSFGnewbie wrote:
markqz wrote:
Hmmm, "soft brick" does sort of describe what I have here, but crumbling it is really easy.  I don't need any implements at all to get pieces off it.  What do you do to "fluff" it up?  Do you simply crumble it in your hands, or something more than that?  I'm really trying to understand what I need to do, esp since its state will determine whether I need more of it.  I cannot imagine that what I have will expand to 80-100% its current volume.

The bulk bags of peat that I buy from the local big box store is 85L (2 cu ft) in the bag, and it expands to 3 cu ft when it  is fluffed up.  So, it expands approximately 50%.

It is easy to fluff up.  As soon as the bag is opened and I start dumping the peat out onto a tarp, it started expanding.  A simple toss or two with a fork fully fluffs it.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4532

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/30/2022, 2:14 pm

Kiwi, The peat moss in the photo looks perfect. Hand crumbling should be all it takes to "fluff" it.

Measure while dry and fluffed. You can wet it when mixing batches of MM or wet the measured-dry material separately. Either way. I soak it in a cement mixing pan along with the measure of coarse vermiculite to prevent breathing flying particles of either. Then I add the measure of blended composts. The result is quite wet (more than moist) but MM drains so well that I just wait a day after dumping and leveling in the beds to plant.

Expansion of compressed peat moss varies by brand. Somewhere between 50% to 70%. My last bale was good quality and it only expanded about 50%. And, it was really easy to fluff.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  KiwiSFGnewbie 11/30/2022, 4:37 pm

Awesome, thanks so much OG and sanderson, I feel confident I'm on the right track here Smile  And indeed Mark, the peat is locally sourced so perhaps that's why it's not fully compressed.  That bale of 100 litres (~3.5 cu ft) sure was heavy!  I could only just get it into the car.
KiwiSFGnewbie
KiwiSFGnewbie

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down