Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 Toplef10N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: June 2022

+3
nrstooge
JAM23
Scorpio Rising
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 Empty Re: N&C Midwest: June 2022

Post  JAM23 6/27/2022, 5:02 pm

Nice OhioGardener!

I pulled my peas yesterday and according to my calendar, if I want to give the Fall peas about 80 days, I will need to get them in around July 7th! So, I will refresh those squares and the re-plant peas sometime next week. Wow!
JAM23
JAM23

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/27/2022, 7:34 pm

Pulled my peas too.  I can’t believe how quickly the season moves if you want a fall crop or 2! 

You’re right, sanderson, good point about the rhubarb threads.  

Nice here today but dry….will water stuff tomorrow.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/28/2022, 12:04 pm

sanderson wrote:You guys should post this valuable information in one of the rhubarb threads.

I merged those posts with the thread on the Fire Ring Rhubarb plants.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t22311-galvanized-fire-ring-for-rhubarb-raised-beds

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4541

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 6/28/2022, 4:23 pm

Watered a bit today and pulled some arugula that had bolted. Thinking about trialing one square of rutabaga to see how that goes!

Struggling to keep the earwigs at bay. They are really eating holes through my swiss chard, kale, basil and beans. I have applied DE around the base of some plants but it hasn't seem to really slow them down. I added an oil/soy sauce trap to an area that I saw a lot of earwig activity. What has worked well for all of you?

Thanks!
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/28/2022, 5:49 pm

JAM23 wrote:Struggling to keep the earwigs at bay. They are really eating holes through my swiss chard, kale, basil and beans. I have applied DE around the base of some plants but it hasn't seem to really slow them down. I added an oil/soy sauce trap to an area that I saw a lot of earwig activity. What has worked well for all of you?

The problems with diatomaceous earth is that it only works when it is dry, and the insect must crawl across it to be affected by it. But, when it works, it works extremely well.

One of the best treatments for Earwigs is Neem Oil.  Mix 1 Tbsp of Neem Oil with 1 Tsp of non-detergent soap (Castile) in 1 gallon of water. (Be sure to emulsify the Neem Oil in the soap before adding to the gallon of water). Spray the entire plant with the mixture.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/28/2022, 5:57 pm

JAM23 wrote:Thinking about trialing one square of rutabaga to see how that goes!

Rutabagas should grow very well for you. They don't like hot weather, so fall planting is a great time.  Suggestion: Harvest the Rutabaga when they are 5" or less in diameter.  They will grow much bigger if you allow them to, but the texture and taste is the best when they are somewhere between 3" and 5", nothing bigger.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 6/28/2022, 6:02 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
JAM23 wrote:Struggling to keep the earwigs at bay. They are really eating holes through my swiss chard, kale, basil and beans. I have applied DE around the base of some plants but it hasn't seem to really slow them down. I added an oil/soy sauce trap to an area that I saw a lot of earwig activity. What has worked well for all of you?

The problems with diatomaceous earth is that it only works when it is dry, and the insect must crawl across it to be affected by it. But, when it works, it works extremely well.

One of the best treatments for Earwigs is Neem Oil.  Mix 1 Tbsp of Neem Oil with 1 Tsp of non-detergent soap (Castile) in 1 gallon of water. (Be sure to emulsify the Neem Oil in the soap before adding to the gallon of water). Spray the entire plant with the mixture.
Thanks! I'm going to mix this up right now! I have both those things in my possession to keep indoor fungus gnats in check! LOL
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/28/2022, 10:58 pm

OhioGardener wrote:

Night time is best to avoid pollinator collateral damage but it usually does work!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM23 6/29/2022, 9:11 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:

Night time is best to avoid pollinator collateral damage but it usually does work!
How often would you apply this?
JAM23
JAM23

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/29/2022, 9:30 am

JAM23 wrote:
How often would you apply this?

As needed.  It will work for several days, until the plant outgrows it, or rain washes it off.  For example, if I spray it for Aphids I will watch the plants on a daily basis and if I see the Aphids returning I will spray it again. If there are no new Aphids, I don't need to re-spray.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/30/2022, 5:57 pm

The Swiss Card and Lacinato Kale have gone wild!  Both of them were just harvested the day before yesterday, and they have regrown back to nearly the size they were before they were harvested. Surprising how fast they are growing with the weather being the mid- to high-90's day after day. Hasn't rained for some time, so the only water the are getting is from the drip irrigation.

N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 Lacina11
N&C Midwest:  June 2022 - Page 3 Swiss_22

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/14/2022, 2:12 pm

Aphids, spider mites and white flies have ravaged my cucumbers and squashes.  A Master Gardener, who is also a SFG gardener and key person with the SFG Foundation, recommended for that combo of critters to use insecticidal soap. (Obviously at sundown to protect the pollinators and to dry by morning.)  It works so well that I ordered the concentrate. I love you bounce

For just earwigs or aphids, he recommended spinosad.  Another winner.  I bought the Captain Jack's Dead Bug spinosad, and or course, the concentrate.  The earwigs were ravishing the Swiss chard and they hid down where the leaves attached to the stalk during the daytime.  I sprayed down there and found dead bodies the next time I harvested.  I love you bounce

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21555

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content