Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Toplef10Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 I22gcj10Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Toplef10Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 I22gcj10Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?

+2
sanderson
OhioGardener
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Empty Re: Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?

Post  OhioGardener 3/4/2023, 3:16 pm

All of the rhubarb plants are up already, about three weeks ahead of schedule. They came up once already, and got froze back when the nighttime temps went down into the teens.  Now, they have re-sprouted, and in a couple days the temps are supposed to drop down into the low-20's again. So, I'm going to put plastic buckets over them overnight in hopes of keeping them from freezing again.

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Rhubar14

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Rhubar11

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Rhubar12

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Rhubar13

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Empty Re: Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?

Post  OhioGardener 4/19/2023, 7:29 pm

sanderson wrote:Will the rhubarb expand and fill the rings?

You asked this question back last May, and now I think the answer is "yes they will".  Three of the Rhubarb plants will have to be dug and divided this year since they have spread out and have way too many crowns in each bed. Each bed is 7 sq ft of MM that is 1' deep, and it is a mass of roots and multiple crowns. The other three Rhubarb fire rings are only in their 2nd year, so they have a few years to go.

This Victoria Rhubarb plant has expanded to 12 crowns, and must be divided this fall to get it back down to one crown.Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Rhubar19

This Victoria Rhubarb plant has 8 crowns, and will be divided this fall as well.Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds? - Page 2 Rhubar20

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

The use of the fire rings to prevent the crown rot problem with Rhubarb plants in our heavy clay soil has been more successful than ever anticipated, so this year I have a new project planned for the fire rings. I am going to add drip irrigation for all of the rings so that they don't require manual watering. This year I removed the old Victoria Rhubarb plants, split the Chipman's Canada Red Rhubarb plant, and transplanted the new crowns into the rings that the Victoria were removed from. I now have three Canada Red and three Gaskin's Perpetual Rhubarb plants in the six fire rings. All of them are sweeter red varieties that are less prone to send up flower stalks. After giving away most of the Victoria crowns, I planted two of them in a flower bed where they will remain for their attractive display.

My plan is to form a circle of the drip tube around the plant, with the tubing about half way between the plant and the edge of the fire ring. The 1/4" tubing has drip emitters spaced at 6", so that should equally moisten the soil without over-watering the plant and causing crown rot. It will take some experimenting to determine how often and how long the drip irrigation will need run, but that will change with weather, too.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2