Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency Toplef10Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency I22gcj10Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency Toplef10Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency I22gcj10Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency

+9
yolos
hammock gal
MrBooker
Yardslave
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency Empty Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/6/2017, 4:17 pm

Georgia & S Carolina have issued states of emergency as of an hour ago. Florida, of course, already has that in place. The Keys are under mandatory evacuation.

If you are in the path of this storm, please don't play hero & ride it out. If you get caught in some sort of emergency, help will not be able to reach you.

Make sure you have your important documents on a stick, get food & water together in your vehicle, grab the 4-legged kids & your family & get out. Don't forget food/water for the 4-legged's.... And some toys for the kids. And toilet paper... (Amazing how important that becomes, lol!)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency Empty Re: Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency

Post  trolleydriver 9/6/2017, 4:54 pm

Keep safe Marie. That goes for all our SFG friends affected by this hurricane.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency Empty Re: Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/6/2017, 6:22 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Georgia & S Carolina have issued states of emergency as of an hour ago.  Florida, of course, already has that in place.  The Keys are under mandatory evacuation.

If you are in the path of this storm, please don't play hero & ride it out.  If you get caught in some sort of emergency, help will not be able to reach you.  

Make sure you have your important documents on a stick, get food & water together in your vehicle, grab the 4-legged kids & your family & get out.  Don't forget food/water for the 4-legged's....  And some toys for the kids.  And toilet paper...  (Amazing how important that becomes, lol!)
Yes!  Stay safe!   I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2017, 1:55 am

Stay safe and be prepared dear folks.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/7/2017, 8:54 am

Thanks, TD. I don't think Irma's going to affect us too much, but we've got backup plans.

As of 6 pm last night, 98% of the hotel rooms in Atl were sold out, so for everyone else's sake, I hope it stays east of us. Although I do remember a hurricane coming through Atl.

NC was also added to the state of emergency starting at 8 am today.

Lake Okeechobee is releasing water in prep for the deluge.

And then there's Jose right behind Irma....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/7/2017, 10:35 am

Just been reading about the death and destruction already done by Irma and I am fighting back the tears. We support, through Compassion Canada, a young girl in Haiti and I pray she will be safe. A few years ago, she was near the epicenter of the major earthquake in Haiti. It was weeks before we found out her status.
 Sad
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/7/2017, 11:42 am

My apt in North Miami, on Biscayne Bay, is in the A zone, which is under mandatory evacuation as of 9am this morning. As of yesterday my tenant wanted to stay even though I told him to leave. Fortunately his wife left. I can't get a hold of him now so I'm hoping he's on the road out of there. A predicted storm surge of 9 ft would put my 1st floor apt under water. pale
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/7/2017, 11:44 am

CapeCoddess wrote:My apt in North Miami, on Biscayne Bay, is in the A zone, which is under mandatory evacuation as of 9am this morning.  As of yesterday my tenant wanted to stay even though I told him to leave.  Fortunately his wife left. I can't get a hold of him now so I'm hoping he's on the road out of there.  A predicted storm surge of 9 ft would put my 1st floor apt under water.  pale
So sorry to hear that CC. Hopefully it will not get that bad.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/7/2017, 12:12 pm

Be safe...."hope for the best, but prepare for the worst".
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2017, 2:57 pm

Yardslave wrote:Be safe...."hope for the best, but prepare for the worst".
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/8/2017, 8:19 am

CC - Please keep us updated on both the apartment & your tenant...

I've got family in Delray Beach. I know they have not evacuated... They never do.

AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 9/8/2017, 9:27 am

My wife and I are both are General class ham radio operators and also belong to an emergency radio traffic net on 14.300 mHz. There's been a lot of emergency (radio) traffic being handled on the ham radio frequencies within the last few days.

My wife received a "MAYDAY" call on the ham radio and a sailing vessel had lost power and was taking on water. She notified the U.S coast Guard main ops center in Miami and all ended well.

Ham radio works well when no other communications are available...

Here is a pic of our radio station.
Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency Whole_10
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 9/8/2017, 10:26 am

I've been trying to contact my 85 year old cousin, who lives just north of Daytona, since yesterday, with no success. She just called me, turns out she's been on the road, driving to her daughter's house in Charlotte, N.C. Of course, Irma is headed that way eventually, but at least she's a bit further inland, so I'm not quite as worried. But I do worry that she'll have no home to come back to. I worry for all of those who aren't able to evacuate. On yesterday's local news, they reported that even this far north, there's been a run on generators, batteries, etc. I remember in previous storms, losing power for days, so I now have a kerosene heater, and a crank radio, sterno to cook, and of course lots of candles. These storms are so scary. Evil or Very Mad My thoughts are with all of you in Irma's path. May you all come through safely.
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/8/2017, 3:36 pm

MrBooker wrote:My wife and I are both are General class ham radio operators and also belong to an emergency radio traffic net on 14.300 mHz. There's been a lot of emergency (radio) traffic being handled on the ham radio frequencies within the last few days.

My wife received a "MAYDAY" call on the ham radio and a sailing vessel had lost power and was taking on water. She notified the U.S coast Guard main ops center in Miami and all ended well.

That's excellent, MB. What a great way to help out!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/8/2017, 9:32 pm

I drove into town today (Fayetteville, 20 miles south of Atlanta, Ga) and it took me four gas stations to find any gas.  We are very close to I75 that runs up from Florida.  That expressway is packed and cars are taking alternate routes trying to get north.  

Thank goodness all the property that us kids inherited from out parents located in the Florida Keys (Marathon) is now sold.

My sister is sailing around the world.  She is returning next week.  Her property is located in Melbourne, Fl (near caper canaveral).  Hope her place is not wiped out.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/8/2017, 9:52 pm

MrBooker wrote:My wife and I are both are General class ham radio operators and also belong to an emergency radio traffic net on 14.300 mHz. There's been a lot of emergency (radio) traffic being handled on the ham radio frequencies within the last few days.

HAMS are the most dependable method of communications in disasters...thank you both for your service!  Em Prep from hospital here...we have great volunteer guys/gals....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 9/9/2017, 1:45 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you all!! Please be safe! Mr. B. great job you are doing, we sure need people like you!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 9/9/2017, 7:33 pm

I am praying for all, I have family in FL, NC, and GA. We have talked to everybody. They all have a plan, they all are sticking to it, and those that stayed have been prepared for Wind, Rain, Tornadoes, 15+ foot storm surge, Cat 5 hurricanes, power outages, all local business not being open after the FIRST one passes, and keeping their eye on the Jose. Some of my relatives saw the devastation of Camille.
I wish the best and pray for all those involved in this.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/11/2017, 10:34 am

She looks to be just inside GA now. It started raining last night & we're getting some gusts now. But not as bad as we anticipated.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  ColleenW 9/11/2017, 11:02 am

My parents are just north of West Palm Beach on Florida's east coast. They are back in their house this morning and even have electricity. I'm hoping Florida's west coast is in good shape as well.
ColleenW
ColleenW

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/11/2017, 11:50 am

ColleenW wrote:My parents are just north of West Palm Beach on Florida's east coast. They are back in their house this morning and even have electricity. I'm hoping Florida's west coast is in good shape as well.

Oh thank you for this great news! I haven't been able to get anything out of Miami yet. I guess the roads need to drain and be cleared first, before anyone can get back in.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  ColleenW 9/11/2017, 12:02 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
ColleenW wrote:My parents are just north of West Palm Beach on Florida's east coast. They are back in their house this morning and even have electricity. I'm hoping Florida's west coast is in good shape as well.

Oh thank you for this great news!  I haven't been able to get anything out of Miami yet.  I guess the roads need to drain and be cleared first, before anyone can get back in.
Happy to share good news! Yes, that sounds about right re: Miami. The winds weren't so bad but there was a lot of rain.
ColleenW
ColleenW

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/11/2017, 2:17 pm

So glad to hear it, Colleen!

I've got family in Delray Beach. I'm hoping to call them later today.

Here in the NE ATL area, winds are picking up by the hour. Our power flickered for just a second, but I'm hearing reports from assorted friends SE of me that their's is out.

I DO have my priorities straight: I ground coffee for the next couple of weeks, got a load of laundry in the dryer, & the dishes are going.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/11/2017, 3:07 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:

Here in the NE ATL area, winds are picking up by the hour.  Our power flickered for just a second, but I'm hearing reports from assorted friends SE of me that their's is out.  

I DO have my priorities straight:  I ground coffee for the next couple of weeks, got a load of laundry in the dryer, & the dishes are going.

Oh yeah, that's what I do for the winter storms, except I make a pot of coffee and put it in a thermos not expecting the power to be out for more than 3 days.
Hurricane Irma - States of Emergency 3759993749

Sending prayers that all is well.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/11/2017, 4:30 pm

Our power has been off since 3. Typing this on iPhone.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next